The Official 405th Q & A Team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on your post count. The veteran status achievement is always randomized. You will need anywhere from 60 to 110 posts to achieve veteran status.

However, do not spam post. Take your time with posting, and always offer constructive criticism. 2 word comments are unnecessary, and the "quality" of your posts will effect your reputation on the forums.

I have a question and its probably gonna make me sound a bit 'special' but here goes.

Where do I start?

Ive been mooching round the forums for a couple of days now and Im still none the wiser. Too much technical talk for such a n00b as myself. Im looking to build a spartan suit, the one like Masterchief wears in Halo3. Im just lost. What should I be doing first? Is there a sticky or even a thread somewhere Ive over-looked? Im not being lazy, I really have tried to help myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated so after youve finished rolling your eyes at the umpteenth n00b to ask this question, could you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Well, it is always confusing considering there is no sticky that says what to do in what order. I'll be doing a write up and posting it on the forums soon on all of the common pepakura/molding and casting methods, and what to do in the order you need to do it in. I'll also be including many tutorial links, and lots of small but useful tidbits of information.

But, for the mean time, feel free to add me on MSN or Skype. I'll gladly help you out.

MSN: xtremetactics@hotmail.com

Cheers!

Thanks man, Ill add you on MSN, I dont have SKYPE, although I think I may become a nuisance pretty quickly.

That tut would be great, Im sure there are a lot of people that would be a little bit more confident if they knew what order to do what in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok three questions

1. What exactly is pep

2. Are we aloud to build armor other then halo, like spec ops or something like that

3. Where do i get the PDO files for pep and how can i learn how to use pep?

Help would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Air Space said:
Ok three questions

1. What exactly is pep

2. Are we aloud to build armor other then halo, like spec ops or something like that

3. Where do i get the PDO files for pep and how can i learn how to use pep?

Help would be very much appreciated. Thank you

1. Pepakura (pep for short) is a form of papercraft. 3D models are translated into 2D, which is then printed, cut and glued together to form the 3D form.

2. Yes. Iron man is probably the most built sort of armour other than the armours from Halo.

3. Halowiki Pepakura index is a good place to start for pep files. The Pepakura subforum is a good place to find tutorials on how to use pepakura. There are a lot of threads that have been made into stickies, meaning the threads won't move from the top of the forum when other topics are updated.

okay, i got a question and its starting to bug me.

how do you post photos? cause ive looked around and ive tried and ive experimented but nothing seems to work. i cant figure it out.

thanks in advance.

Kitsune said:
okay, i got a question and its starting to bug me.

how do you post photos? cause ive looked around and ive tried and ive experimented but nothing seems to work. i cant figure it out.

thanks in advance.

There's a button in the tool bar which looks like a little photo of a tree. If you click it, you can insert a link to the photo of your choice. Many people use online services like photobucket.com to store photos for show.

As an alternative, you can upload photos directly from your disk by using the "attachments" section below the post area. It will upload the photo directly to the forum instead of an outside source.

The forum gallery could also be used, but I don't have the slightest how to as I do not use it myself...

okay, thanks heaps. i just did a quick pic of my sniper on my phone to make sure i got it down. seems to work. thanks again.

THE DARK EAGEL said:
hello.

im going to do my first gun and i want to do a sniper rifle. i was wondering how i put the fibre galss matt on the iside of the barrel.

do i cut in half put in the fibre glass and then glue it togeather again or something like that.

any use full tips would be apeasheated as this is my first pepakura of any sort.

Thanks for your help.

THE DARK EAGEL.(any before you say any thing, the dark eagle was taked so i spellt eagle wrong deliberatly.)

It all depends on how you did your scaling, for a full scale model, when i did my first sniper, it turned out no to bad, I made the barrel in two section I cut I diagonal, not down the barrel, so about half way a cut it in two. Then applied the fiber class with a longer flat head screw driver. I know this method is kind of primitive but worked. after the barrel was dried i gave a flat black spay on the inside, this way the paint would cover the whole inside. I used chicken wire on the outside of the barrel with fiber glass for extra strength. I needed something to support the separation. So my barrel had an inner card stock and the chicken wire then the outer card stock remember a big mistake is to fiberglass the final layer remember to only fiberglass inner layers. I also fiberglassed the chicken wire to the barrel. It turned out fin in the end. The only thing that i would have done different, make sure that the inner barrel is smaller then the outer one. I did not take into account for the rather thick chicken wire. So my barrel was 1.5 cm thicker than it should have been. But after it was not to noticeable. It also added a little weight to the barrel so make sure when attaching it to the rest of the gun that you have a strong connect, there are multiple ways of doing this. I hope this helps if you have any other questions on what I did please messages me. :cool

hello im new here.just registered.i read most of the rules.

but i have this urge to ask so i ask!

i decided that it would be a lot more prudent to start with something easy.Making an armor just from the start looks a little complicated (especially with the "scaling" issue,plus i have no experience whatsoever on how to do this)so i decided to just make the standard rifle from halo 1.

question:where can i find pep files?i ask this so that i can find files from our community so that i can pm the creator about scaling details,like what is the standard scale of that particular pep and simple info on how to do it.

i must say that i found and downloaded this one: http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/File:HD_MA5C_RoadWarrior.png

is that a good model to start with?

also i wanna ask about what paper to use...yes i know i shouldnt ask this here, but english is not my native language and dont quite understand things very well.let me get to the point.i have a standard inkjet printer with A4 paper.is that good?can my printer print on other kinds of paper that are more suitable for creating a nice rifle?im planning to use resin and/or fiber glass although that will happen later after i fully understand how to do things.i think standard paper wont do the job so can you propose something or give a link where i can find what im looking for?

(yes yes yes i know but please help me get over my noob condition,>_O)

oh another question!where can i find a tutorial on scaling?i just cant find it!and i used search.

thanks for accepting my ignorance!hope that one day i'll make an awesome spartan armor!

and by the way,do you know of any hd cqb helmet pep?

thanks again!

techstepman said:
hello im new here.just registered.i read most of the rules.

but i have this urge to ask so i ask!

i decided that it would be a lot more prudent to start with something easy.Making an armor just from the start looks a little complicated (especially with the "scaling" issue,plus i have no experience whatsoever on how to do this)so i decided to just make the standard rifle from halo 1.

question:where can i find pep files?i ask this so that i can find files from our community so that i can pm the creator about scaling details,like what is the standard scale of that particular pep and simple info on how to do it.

i must say that i found and downloaded this one: http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/File:HD_MA5C_RoadWarrior.png

is that a good model to start with?

also i wanna ask about what paper to use...yes i know i shouldnt ask this here, but english is not my native language and dont quite understand things very well.let me get to the point.i have a standard inkjet printer with A4 paper.is that good?can my printer print on other kinds of paper that are more suitable for creating a nice rifle?im planning to use resin and/or fiber glass although that will happen later after i fully understand how to do things.i think standard paper wont do the job so can you propose something or give a link where i can find what im looking for?

(yes yes yes i know but please help me get over my noob condition,>_O)

oh another question!where can i find a tutorial on scaling?i just cant find it!and i used search.

thanks for accepting my ignorance!hope that one day i'll make an awesome spartan armor!

and by the way,do you know of any hd cqb helmet pep?

thanks again!

Well, to answer all of your questions in order...

Questions #1- You can find pep files scattered around the 405th, and at the following 2 websites.

405th Pepakura Download Hub

Pepakura File Index - Halo Costuming Wiki

Question #2- Weapon sizes can be found on Halopedia.

Halopedia - Weapons Index

Question #3- If you are not experienced with pepakura, I strongly suggest you start with something very simple and move up. A weapon isn't always a good starting place for pep.

Question #4- you are supposed to use Cardstock for pepakura. I recommend 110 lb cardstock. Cardstock comes in many sizes, and I'm sure it can be found in A4 size at your local craft story or office supply store.

Question #5- I have written both a tutorial and an FAQ on scaling. They can be found here.

How to Scale Your Armour - Tutorial

Armour Scaling - FAQ

If you need any further help, feel free to contact me via PM or on MSN or Skype.

MSN: xtremetactics@hotmail.com

Good luck, and stay safe!

hey xtreme tactics 101!

thanks for the help.yeah you're right i figured that making a gun will require some experience.

so im gonna start with a cqb mjolnr mk VI.i'll start a thread when i have assebled the first pieces.in the week end im gonna go and get supplies!

sometime next week i'll start with the helmet...just to make sure that i m good with the scaling...

i'll consider the msn option if things get striky!

Any Canadians have any tips on getting some of the required products, namely the Smooth-on products?

Is there a cheap place online that ships to Canada?

Hey Wats 405TH MEMBERS. im a newbie and have a quick question. lol. Im making my first iron man helmet. I printed everything out and cuting. its all togther. my question is what do i do now? What should go on the outside to hard it.

hey guys i deleted my previous post cause i found some alternatives to my problems and im cool now!

everything goes as planned with the mjolnir...

anyway just to be sure and i dont end up buying the wrong stuff can someone tell me the exact type of fiberglass i will need?

i found one 90gr/m2...whats the kind of fiberglass you're using?as for the resin i will ask about that to the place that im gonna buy the fiberglass.

i still have a big issue though.its about bondo.everyones seems to be ignoring me.what kind of substance is it?you know the name of the chemical compound.

Kevin Irving said:
Hey Wats 405TH MEMBERS. im a newbie and have a quick question. lol. Im making my first iron man helmet. I printed everything out and cuting. its all togther. my question is what do i do now? What should go on the outside to hard it.

You can refer to this topic :http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2287

For how to Resin/fiberglass your pepped piece.

techstepman said:

anyway just to be sure and i dont end up buying the wrong stuff can someone tell me the exact type of fiberglass i will need?

i found one 90gr/m2...whats the kind of fiberglass you're using?as for the resin i will ask about that to the place that im gonna buy the fiberglass.

i still have a big issue though.its about bondo.everyones seems to be ignoring me.what kind of substance is it?you know the name of the chemical compound.

90 gr/m^2 is a volume.... from my research theres no "types" or fiberglass

Its its more than one thing for a chemical compound. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bondo_(putty)

And try to google search if you can't find anything in forum, all of your questions can be answered by searching.

techstepman said:
hey guys i deleted my previous post cause i found some alternatives to my problems and im cool now!

everything goes as planned with the mjolnir...

You should get fiberglass cloth which is basically a white cloth knitted out of fiberglass fibers.

thanks guys!now i have all i need to start making that mjolnir!

just saying that in the end i figured you can find all these materials everywhere.i used to crank a lot about my still in the stone age country but after a lot of searching and lots of help from the forum i found everything!im just saying it just so the next noob that comes by to ask will see the post and firuge a few things out.so you guys were right from the start.i shouldnt have asked all those questions...it was only a matter of time before i get all the materials...just putting it out there for all the other noobs to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back