The Official 405th Q & A Team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the noob forum screen where you can search and find topics, you have the main title of the posts (like my newb beginning etc) and underneath it is a sentence that explains the topic. HOw can you change that sentence underneath the main one if it is your own post? I cant find out how to change it.

so i got a question for you. is there danger when fiberglassing a helmet or wathever, cause im just 13 years old and maybe im too young for fiberglass, if yes i will need to find something other. if it to dangerous plz send me idea for what to do...

Yes, fiberglassing is dangerious. Fiberglass alone, not at all as long as you arn't pulling it apart. But resin/bondo is. Just wear the proper safety equipment and you will be fine. This includes:

-Eye protection

-Resporator

-Protective gloves

-Long pant and shirt sleeves (VERY helpful-avoids getting resin on your skin)

Hi guys, this is my first post here and I have a bunch of questions. As of right now, I am only interested in making a MKVI helmet.

-I decided the the best looking MKVI helmet was FLYING SQUIRL's HD version. (This One Can anyone tell me how to scale this properly? I don't know what kind of measurements are needed so just let me kow then I will post them. (or if someone fells confident they can walk me through it, just PM me.) I would like the helmet to be *a little* big, simply becasue I think the hemet looks better a bit big. (Not oversize, mind you.)

-What is the best Resin, Fiberglass, and Bondo to use? (Direct links would help a ton.)

-While on the topic of Resin/Fiberglass/Bondo, how thick should I make the coat of Resin be on the outside? (Built up over serveral coats, obviously).

-How do you guys get the Fiberglass into areas like the visor?

-Is the Fiberglass still easially cutable once in has been resined over?

-This is what I have gathered from reasearch on this site and others; can someone tell me what is right/wrong?: Resin the inside and outside of the helmet, use several coats. Put another coat of resin on the inisde of the helmet, put Fiberglass on the resined area before in dries. After everything has been fiberglassed, put several coats of resin over the fiberglass. Add Bondo on the outside of the helmet and sand it do get the desired shape.

-Where do you guys get your visors? I have seen some really nice ones.

-How do you guys wire LED's to you helmets? Where do you run the wires and where do you hide the battery?

I am sorry these questions are so noob-ish.

Thanks

GREATHALOSHARK said:
Hello I am new here and I have a mack book pro I was wondering how to install peparuka on my mac pleasr advise

Now, I'm not a moderator, but I know the answer, so I'll take one for the team.

I had the exact same issue. Sadly, us mac users are out in the cold. We have two options: A. use a method to run actual Windows on a Mac, or B. Huddle in a corner and try to stay warm.

I wish it ran in Wine (a runtime that plays windows apps native, a la Crossover), but sadly, it can't run there either.

I'm actually running Boot Camp right now as I type so I could run Pepakura Viewer. I'm sorry, and I really wish there was another solution.

How was that?

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you change your forum display name? I'd like to change it

can it even be changed?

please let me know

thank you very much

quest, being in the UK i have yet found a distributor of aqua resin does anyone know of a place that sells it. i am a student studying scenic arts and am learning to use resin and Jesmonite (its like plaster of paris only lasts alot longer) but am willing to learn new products to sudgest them to my tutor as alternatves.

I've sent PMs to many people on the Q&A team, but none have seemed to respond yet. And I have sent them at least a week ago, to some they were sent 2-3 weeks ago. Are they too busy, or are they just ignoring my questions?

Please advise me,

Super-Ang

Hi, i have a question, i have tut videos, but i have not yet seen a "WASH" tut video, by " WASH " i mean the paint wash, i'm sure that me and lot of other people will get smarter if anyone would make a paint wash tutorial video.

Greetings from Estonia ^^.

estonianguy said:
Hi, i have a question, i have tut videos, but i have not yet seen a "WASH" tut video, by " WASH " i mean the paint wash, i'm sure that me and lot of other people will get smarter if anyone would make a paint wash tutorial video.

Greetings from Estonia ^^.

I'm going to be posting a full tutorial Christmas day on that subject, and multiple other subjects like that.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
I'm going to be posting a full tutorial Christmas day on that subject, and multiple other subjects like that.

THX, it gonna be like a christams gift to noobs :D, BTW when are you on skype i have been on for like the WHOLE day today (18.12.09) and i havent seen you log in, i added you to friends list.

im not sure wether or not my problem is just coincidence or if somthing is actually wrong but when i upload a gallery it shows no views or comments yet all the other gallerys in the imeadiate area have plenty of views. now please dont misunderstand my meaning, im not trying to say "waa waa no one looks at my work" but it seems odd that all other gallerys are registering views and im not.

the only clue i have, is when i uploaded my newest gallery i noticed that all of them were described as private, the only exception was my first(which recieved plenty of views) which was described as public

if this is the problem can someone tell me how to change that setting

I tried PM:ing both Falcon NL and P0rtalman who are the ones on the team listing sculpting/clay modelling, but it seems both their inboxes are full. If someone else can help me with a little question about clay I'd be grateful.

What is it that makes Chavant NSP the preferred clay of so many sculptors? While googling around I found Klean Klay, which to me as a noob reading websites seems to hold the same characteristics as Chavant NSP. Yet Klean Klay would be more than half off per pound for me (I figure they can't be that different in density, can they?). Is Chavant really that much better to justify a price that is twice as high?

Yes, I'm a noob sculptor, but even so I wouldn't want to buy a cheap product just because it's cheap, nor would I want to buy the more expensive product if it isn't really different.

AceHigh said:
I tried PM:ing both Falcon NL and P0rtalman who are the ones on the team listing sculpting/clay modelling, but it seems both their inboxes are full. If someone else can help me with a little question about clay I'd be grateful.

What is it that makes Chavant NSP the preferred clay of so many sculptors? While googling around I found Klean Klay, which to me as a noob reading websites seems to hold the same characteristics as Chavant NSP. Yet Klean Klay would be more than half off per pound for me (I figure they can't be that different in density, can they?). Is Chavant really that much better to justify a price that is twice as high?

Yes, I'm a noob sculptor, but even so I wouldn't want to buy a cheap product just because it's cheap, nor would I want to buy the more expensive product if it isn't really different.

Go with the Chavant NSP. Although I prefer Van Aken, I have used Chavant, and it isn't terrable. If your new to sculpting, always to with the cheeper alternative.

Remember, make sure its sulfer free, otherwise when you mold the clay, the silicone will not cure. When the silicone doesn't cure, you just waisted a good amount of money and time for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back