The Official 405th Q & A Team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all of this.

But i have a question. Ok i have searched around but i cant find anything about ventilation in the helmet, like for breathing easy. Ive got my helmet pep'ed and even with it just being cardstock i find it kinda stuffy. What would be the best things to use? Thanks and sorry if its already been asked i just couldn't find anything.

Ben Hawker said:
Thanks for all of this.

But i have a question. Ok i have searched around but i cant find anything about ventilation in the helmet, like for breathing easy. Ive got my helmet pep'ed and even with it just being cardstock i find it kinda stuffy. What would be the best things to use? Thanks and sorry if its already been asked i just couldn't find anything.

Depending on how much room you have left in your helmet, you have a few choices.

If you have a lot of room, some people have gone through the process of mounting PC cooling fans on the insides of their helmet.

If its already pretty cozy, you can just custom more vents into the final product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stevieboy7 said:
Depending on how much room you have left in your helmet, you have a few choices.

If you have a lot of room, some people have gone through the process of mounting PC cooling fans on the insides of their helmet.

If its already pretty cozy, you can just custom more vents into the final product.

ok cool thanks that might help a lot. Another thing though. What could i use to make vents? Like i dont want just random holes on it.

Ben Hawker said:
ok cool thanks that might help a lot. Another thing though. What could i use to make vents? Like i dont want just random holes on it.

be creative in the details.

Theres a few of vent type of details in most Halo helmets, so just open those, or get creative.

Hey could I get a link to the sig generator for a Halo REACH spartan? Not the ones that I have in my sig, but a Noble 6 progress sig?

So this is probably a stupid question, but I've started the pep process and am now looking at fiberglass. I have looked in forum and haven't found a best choice for the fiberglass, weight or type. I have looked around off site and found chopped mat and cloth and numerous different weights for possible choices and am now completely at a loss of where to go with regards to the fiberglass. Any suggestions?

Hi, srry for just jumping in like this, im completely new to pepakura and this is my first helmet. I havent resined it yet, but i think ill do that soon. Just wanted to know what you think and if you think i scaled it right for myself. Oh and how does the hinge system work.

legacy said:
Hi, srry for just jumping in like this, im completely new to pepakura and this is my first helmet. I havent resined it yet, but i think ill do that soon. Just wanted to know what you think and if you think i scaled it right for myself. Oh and how does the hinge system work.

kinda looks a bit big to me. And as for a hinge system, it depends on what for hinge you buy, what the shape for your helmet is... Probably gotta figure that out on your own.

rundown said:
kinda looks a bit big to me. And as for a hinge system, it depends on what for hinge you buy, what the shape for your helmet is... Probably gotta figure that out on your own.
the scale for that helmet is 3.217153. What should i scale it down too.

killerballerina said:
So this is probably a stupid question, but I've started the pep process and am now looking at fiberglass. I have looked in forum and haven't found a best choice for the fiberglass, weight or type. I have looked around off site and found chopped mat and cloth and numerous different weights for possible choices and am now completely at a loss of where to go with regards to the fiberglass. Any suggestions?

At Home depot or walmart there are 2 types of fiberglass (I'm assuming the same at other auto stores too):

Chopped Mat (Otherwise refered to as fiberglass mat) - Looks like a damn rats nest was pressed flat. Per layer it is stronger than the fiberglass cloth. The main drawbacks to this type of fiberglass is that it is very hard to work with when resined, it sticks to your gloves and brushes like crazy, and hairballs of fiberglass/resin build up quickly. After every coat of fiberglass I usually go in with a dremel, sand down the burrs and add another layer. That said, you need to do more prep work for the next layer than the cloth. It also absorbs alot more resin than the cloth.

Woven fiberglass (Otherwise called fiberglass cloth): Easier to work with, woven pattern. The cloth won't fray as much as your mat, and whatever comes off is usually very nice and neat, you can usually lay a fresh layer of cloth over a cured layer without much prep work. But it is not as strong as the mat, you need about 2 layers of cloth per layer of mat. It also uses less resin.

Both are good and bad in their own ways, also the weights just mean how much fiberglass there is per unit (larger the number the more fiberglass there is), for all intensive purposes the ones you find at HD or Wal-mart are more than enough. There are also tricks to working with both that will allow you to apply them with minimal cursing.

You can buy them on line, but just going to your local walmart you can get a 8sqfoot piece for around 4 bucks and some change.

As always wear a mask, gloves, longsleeve shirt and long jeans when cutting/handling fiberglass. It *IS* very fine glass strands, and just by cutting them, you release shards of glass into the air. If you don't have a mask, you breathe them in (and if you breath in enough, you will cough up blood), if you don't wear long sleeve/pants, the glass shards will get on your skin and poke you... alot... and you can't get them out...

And always wear a resperator and gloves when working with resin. But I'm sure you already knew that :)

No doubt the most ridiculous question ever, but what is the average time taken to complete a pep-resined suit of armor from start (printing) to finish (painting)?

Or better yet, how about breaking it down into pieces and/or processes? (ie. "Helmet: print/cut/glue = ?? hours/days. Resin application/drying/sanding = ?? hours/days. Chest Piece: print/cut..." etc).

Ooh, and while I'm at it, what's the 405th speed record? (what's the fastest someone's ever put together an entire Mjolnir suit from start to finish?)

I'm assuming no less than one month, right?

Hey does anyone know if anybody has pep files for the pouches on The Rookie's chest and legs? Also any pep files for the ODST backpack?

Also, how do i change my forum name? i looked at my profile settings but couldnt find anything? any answers are greatly appreciated! (sorry for the double post, edit option wasn't working)

most of the forum links are messed up. It keeps sending me to the forum mainpage. I know that wasn't a question but I'm a noob and need most of the links so can you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back