The Ultimate Pepakura FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm building a full suit of ODST armor for Halo-ween and I haven't used Pep before. I am just using cardboard because I have so much lying around. I have the plansand have already completed the elbow pads, shin guards, and helmet. The cardboard seems to hold up well after the cutting and folds well as long as you score the fold lines.

Threads like this ,
make so many lives a lot easyer !
I'm doing this project with four friends , all we need is noble six hehe
i'm pointing them all here , and it seems that it it well understood amoungst various types of people =D
Thank you , Very much , for putting threads up like this !
Happy Huntin' !

P.S. to all you dutch people out there :
Bondo is : polyester plamuur , en kan je kopen bij gamma , praxis etc.
fiberglass : tsja , glasvezelmatjes , erg duur.
Resin : soort van blanke lak , vraag ernaar .

:confusedHello gents, this is a question more directed at any that have made a Jorge suit out there. Would the division and beginning scale be the same when measuring for size, or will they be different because Jorge is a bigger spartan. I'm assuming that in that pep formula that if I would have to divide my height by 86 (I am assuming it stands for his height) for a Mk VI suit that i should be dividing be 88 instead for Jorge? Sorry if that will be confusing to some I didn't intend it to be.

numbers don't add up

Hey everyone, apologizes if I've missed this but i have been searching.

I'm about to start gluing pieces together and start building my ODST helm. With my pepakura the numbers on the pieces don't appear to add up. My starting point that I've picked out the piece's fit together and I've been checking the 3D helmet in Pepakura Designer and it adds up. The numbers are not the same. On one piece it says "618" and on the other "617". All the numbers are 1 under or 1 above if that makes sense.

One of the tutorials i came across the numbers were the same.Should all numbers be the same or does it vary on different files ?

Thanks Squeeks

Hi, I'm really new to this so excuse me if its common knowledge, but I have 2 questions. What do you do to the inside of your armor to make it smooth? And how much would it cost to make a basic helmet to wear?
From what I've read, good paper is about $40 and the glue is glue, but I'm not sure how much resin/a visor would cost to get/make?

Edit: I also wanted to ask where to find a tutorial for painting, and at what step during the process I should paint.

Cardstock paper is never usually that much. Resin is about $10 or so and fiberglass cloth can be about $6 or 7 maybe. Visors can range from $15 - 30 and up. So it really just depends.

I hoping this is the proper thread for my question.

I've seen a couple people on her applying Plasti-Dip to their armor after fiberglassing it. I know what Plasti-Dip does but I'm unsure as to what the reason is for using it an armor.

Thanks all!

I hoping this is the proper thread for my question.

I've seen a couple people on her applying Plasti-Dip to their armor after fiberglassing it. I know what Plasti-Dip does but I'm unsure as to what the reason is for using it an armor.

Thanks all!
Generally I only see people use Plastidip on their foam armor because it provides a better surface to bondo/prime/paint. Because foam is so porous it can drink up a lot of paint and end up looking very ratty if you don't start with a good surface. As for people doing it on cardstock armor... I don't think I've really seen anyone put in on their pepped armor, maybe they did it for the texture, or did it as a final covering so they wouldn't have to paint?

Thanks Rabbit! That makes a lot of sense and is a great point as my girlfriend is starting a foam Kat suit.

Thank you very much!

Free download pepakura starship Files at Software Informer - The Ur-Quan Masters (or UQM) project[7] ... The Ultimate web browser for outer space exploration.

thanks for sharing.

Hi Everyone,
I have been having problems... I have my armor pieces in pepakura and everything then when I try to print to my cardstock it only prints the numbers( I put in a fresh ink cartridge) but with normal paper it prints the lines too? Anyone have an idea of what's going on? Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is a Republican StormTrooper Pep?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2 Yes. I'm not sure if you mean a GOP stormie or a republic commando. If you mean an RC, check out fierfek on therpf. He has free files for most of the costume. Check with LigonAP for the lid.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

So... do you have to wear a respirator when resining a pepped piece, even when your're outside? Or can I just keep downwind of the set, while I'm in my open backyard?

So... do you have to wear a respirator when resining a pepped piece, even when *you're* outside? Or can I just keep downwind of the set, while I'm in my open backyard?

It's highly recommended to wear a respirator if you value your health. This stuff has the potential to cause respiratory issues that may not be immediately apparent.

Resins and bondo are very bad for your lungs and your nervous system. If you can smell it, you're in trouble.

A good organic vapor respirator will do what you need, they're like 30$, and are obvious because they have the large triangular or circular canisters on the "cheeks". The cartridges give you a lot of use before they need replacing, and it's a good thing to have in any toolbox.

There are a lot of people who brush off the risk, but it's a very real danger, and while really light exposure like a brief whiff will at worst cause some irritation, a deep lungful can cause you troubles, and it's just not worth risking it by saying "I'm outside, the wind will carry it away", because it just takes one change in the winds to blast it in your face. I am a bit preachy, but I think being aware of the risks is important, especially with so many younger members here.

Resins and bondo are very bad for your lungs and your nervous system. If you can smell it, you're in trouble.

A good organic vapor respirator will do what you need, they're like 30$, and are obvious because they have the large triangular or circular canisters on the "cheeks". The cartridges give you a lot of use before they need replacing, and it's a good thing to have in any toolbox.

There are a lot of people who brush off the risk, but it's a very real danger, and while really light exposure like a brief whiff will at worst cause some irritation, a deep lungful can cause you troubles, and it's just not worth risking it by saying "I'm outside, the wind will carry it away", because it just takes one change in the winds to blast it in your face. I am a bit preachy, but I think being aware of the risks is important, especially with so many younger members here.
I take that seriously, truly, and I definitely won't touch the stuff until I have a respirator... but it's getting colder, I need to hurry.
btw: this is now my senior project for graduation, labeled as "Costume Building". Cool, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back