Thermal/chem-formed BR55-HB airsoft replica (Photo heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redtail

Hey guys! I'd like to show off one of my more recent projects here. It's been a long time in the making, as I haven't actually worked on it since December, but I'm hoping to finish it before August.

A little while back I got the crazy idea to make a custom airsoft rifle, a replica of the VSS Vintorez sniper rifle. It turned out fairly well, and I became drunk with power. As an avid airsofter and a huge fan of science fiction, the world had opened up to me and there was no limit to what I could do, save for my own creativity and motivation. Both of those have proben to be troublesome, but we'll ignore that part for now.

I decided I wanted to build a field-worthy, modular, fully functional and fully upgradeable BR55-HB battle rifle for use in airsoft, and I'll explain to you how I went about doing it.

First I had to decide on a base gun. I had a lot of factors going into the decision. How much will it cost? Can I get upgradeable and replacement parts for the innards? What's it made of, and can I work with the material?
My first idea was to use a plastic-bodied FAMAS rifle, but the reason I avoided this was twofold. For one, the FAMAS has a very complicated shape and would be difficult to fuse plastic plate to, Second, the design is so old that nobody makes replacement parts or magazines for it anymore, which means that I wouldn't be able to service my creation after building it.

I settled on an inexpensive Steyr AUG Civilian model rifle that featured select-fire capability, a modular gearbox, and plentiful aftermarket magazines to play with.

Stock photo for reference:
13655-thickbox.jpg

The BR55 for comparison:
BR55BattleRifleAngles-transparent.png

The first step was to draw out some concept work. Most of this didn't end up getting used, as it would have badly interfered with the way the magazine release works with the magazine. I'm leery to make a mechanical part like this, just yet, due to issues with the precision of my tools.
It helps to have an idea before you start, even if that idea changes.
BR55001.jpg

The next step was to take and hacksaw off any part that I didn't need or want, in order to streamline the build process.
DSCN2129_zps5921e189.jpg

After this was done, I started framing the rear of the receiver and added an extension to the existing magazine release.
DSCN2132_zpse50da1a8.jpg

When that was done, it was time to start building the cheek rest. SInce this gun is getting knocked around a bit, on the field, I added a bulkhead reinforcement everywhere the build stopped, started, or changed direction.
DSCN2133_zpse7216fe2.jpg

Then came framing out the sides with flat plate stock, machining out holes with my Dremel to ensure that I'd be able to disassemble the gun again for maintenance or upgrades once I finished.
DSCN2138_zps609c63cc.jpg

THen some cosmetic detailing, the siderails in particular, along with some reinforcement to the side of the stock. THis was especially necessary given how much of the original gun I'd just cut away.
DSCN2140_zpsab2dcf28.jpg

Skip ahead a week and I'd begun to build the front half of the gun from scratch, given that there was no base to work from. This proved a bit tricky, but it looks and feels solid at this point.
DSCN2148_zps43a5cfde.jpg

And as of the end of the last wave of construction, I'd framed out the sides of the front end, cleaned up the interface, and devised a way to attach and remove a foregrip to allow for convenient battery placement inside the gun. At this point the gun is functional, but unfinished cosmetically.
DSCN2160_zpsa9553516.jpg

As of this moment in time, I need to make a buttstock, clean up the rear of the carry rail, detail the muzzle and find a barrel extension suitable for my preferred look.

If anyone would like to pursue this option, I'm more than happy to help.

That's what I was trying to include the first photos for, man! Conveniently they're all dated by the camera too so you get a sense of what happened when. :D

Is there anything in particular you'd like to see? I have more photographs, I can probably dig it up and would be happy to do so. Regrettably I have no photos of myself working, or the actual construction going on, it's difficult to hold a camera and a Dremel at the same time.

I may try to take some video the next time I work on the gun, to describe the technique of the build process. It seems like lots of these guys do casting, fiberglass, resin and 3D printouts. I was sorta surprised that I haven't seen any chem-welded plastic plate builds so far! But, I've only been here a few hours, I'm sure that'll come. Or maybe I'm just a knucklehead and happened to choose a media that really doesn't make any sense. XD

It seems like lots of these guys do casting, fiberglass, resin and 3D printouts. I was sorta surprised that I haven't seen any chem-welded plastic plate builds so far! But, I've only been here a few hours, I'm sure that'll come. Or maybe I'm just a knucklehead and happened to choose a media that really doesn't make any sense. XD

Nice project! It looks really good. I poke around looking for the non-traditional builds. Zarnel did a nice Spartan Laser using chem-welded styrene in lieu of cardstock that turned out solid. Quite a few guys have tried to go down the airsoft road, but you might be the first to actually complete a really clean and working airsoft conversion. After I finish my current scratchbuild project, I was looking at converting a resin M6, BR55, or SMG kit to airsoft. Tactonyx has some nice kits with multiple parts rather than solid cast that would really lend themselves to conversion. Good luck. PM if I can help.

Redshirt

Pretty cool project so far. I had though about doing something like this, but my knowledge with gearboxes for bullpup-style rifles is nill (meaning I've done no research, I'm sure it's the same principle). I'm more of a V2/V3 tech.

I can't wait to see more of this!

Honestly I didn't think the rifle you chose and wanted it to look like were compatible. I was wrong. Very nice job so far.

It..... It's beautiful *sheds tear* .

Awesome work so far. I have been tempted to build a paintball gun into a halo replica... Watching this build might just give me the inspiration to do it haha

Thanks guys! If I can be of any assistance, God knows I'll be asking for help, so by all means, PLEASE let me return the favor. My media of choice is 1/4" ABS plate stock and this is only one of a handful of builds I've done. Most of my tricks and technique came from a genius and artist named Killbucket, who shared freely of the wealth of information he had available, and I would be wrong t do any less.

Redshirt:
THanks a ton! Let's save the completion talk for when it's ready for its first game. HOPEFULLY that is August here coming up soon. :D
I don't like to leave loose ends or make unwarranted claims, that ain't my style. XD
If there's any way I can help please let me know. The one thing I dare say I am a proper expert on is airsoft core parts. The best way to learn that stuff, is the hard way. XD

Carpathia:
The Steyr AUG actually uses a slightly modified V3 gearbox. Has a modified trigger and selector mechanism, all mechanically operated. I will be tweaking that soon because I don't like the feel of the trigger and that could stand to be neatened up a bit. The only reason I'm not already wiring thios thing up for a 3-round burst setting is the fact that the AUG V3 uses a special two-stage trigger with two sets of contacts which promises to be a colossal, epic pain in the butt with wiring. My track record with computerized MOSFETs is not so great.

Doc:
The trick some times is not finding the gun that looks closest, but actually the gun that fits *inside* the project the best, given that your goal is to build as much of a new gun as you can, it helps if few people can identify the base gun. Example:
"DUde, is that a FAMAS? What did you do to that poor gun?"
versus
"Wait, hold on a second. Is that a HALO battle rifle? Where did you get that from!?"
Many of the guys here like to build 100% from scratch and I dig it. I like to come from the same direction. :D

Phil:
I really appreciate the kind words. This has really been a learning experience for me, and I have indeed taken a lot of knowledge away with me. If there's any way I can help at all, PLEASE let me know and I'd be more than happy to do what I can.

EDIT:
Some other projects of mine for eye-candy:
My first custom pistol, an altered Beretta M9:
DSCN1614.jpg
Later version including a massive, oversized anime compensator:
DSCN1617.jpg
Current sidearm, same pattern and same build, featuring a white paint scheme:
DSCN1627.jpg
ANd my only-slightly-sketchy VSS Vintorez, based off of Killbucket's free patterns:
DSCN1316.jpg
STALKER fans might recognize that last one. As will Metro 2033 fans. Or anyone who's ever played Rainbow Six 3: Athena Sword and tried to wade their way through the campaign solo using Dieter Weber, for that matter. :D

Redtail! I see you wandered on over from AS. It looks great man, but what did you use for the front end?

I built it from scratch! Nothing but ABS plate stock, and general-purpose cleaning solution to chemically fuse plates and bulkheads together.

EDIT 6/22

When this rifle is done I'll be switching gears a bit to build a custom submachinegun/carbine style airsoft gun supporting the mythos of a tabletop RPG and novel universe that myself and a few friends are working on. Would anyone be interested in a start-to-finish build documentation and plate-stock build tutorial? I see a lot of really cool tuts here, but nothing for ABS plate.

Here's what I'm thinking:
comparison_zps3dc63d28.png

In order to maximize modularity and accessibility, I'll be paying particular attention to detail on fabricating large parts from scratch, and surface mating/interfacing between components, how to achieve a clean look, and multiple methods with both power tools and inexpensive hand tools.

The reason for a more complicated original design is so that I can build the necessary experience to do a more complicated modification to other guns in the future. In particular, I want to make an M6S SOCOM pistol to go with my BR55, and I want to do it right.

Currently gearing up to go finish this puppy up. I just bought two new file sets, a new 40mm NATO filter for my filter mask to keep burning plastic fumes out of my lungs, and a new set of channel-locks to break plate after scoring.

Hopefully in the morning I have some new update photographs. On the agenda:
1. Place an order for a PS90 style barrel extension
2. Re-wire battery linkage to permit front-end placement of a 7.4v lithium battery pack
3. Finish building muzzle section
4. Finish routing heat-shield section detail
5. Prep and paint!

Wish me luck!

I don't like to disappoint. However, I definitely did not post update photos when I mentioned initially. Tis is because three nights in a row I was kicked out of my workshop for various reasons. However, today is different.
While the rest of the family was panicking to prepare for "vacation" coming up starting Thursday, I retreated to my little corner in the basement and the sparks started flying. Figuratively speaking.

july201_zps74ae2968.jpg

july202_zpsc31b268c.jpg

july203_zpsbda93cd1.jpg

july204_zps0980053b.jpg

I've finished closing in the muzzle end (the angle is a touch too steep, with regard to the heat shield, but it'll do for my first HALO build), detailed the heatshield the rest of the way (may add purely cosmetic screws at a later date), adjusted the angle of the back of the carry-rail, as well as the section inside the rail (the single most dramatic difference in the gun came from this single detail), and added embossing to the sides of the carry rail post.

Sadly this one is going to have to sit as-is for a little while, because I'm being dragged off Thursday out of state with the family.

However, when I return, I make the buttplate, re-wire the thing, order a new muzzle brake for maximum visual effect, then paint! Very excited for this one to be ready to publically demonstrate at a game.

I don't like to disappoint.

However, when I return, I make the buttplate, re-wire the thing, order a new muzzle brake for maximum visual effect, then paint! Very excited for this one to be ready to publically demonstrate at a game.

This looks really good. You mentioned a new muzzle brake. Are you trying to make the three-lug flash suppressor as original? I wouldn't think that would be too hard to turn on a mill if you had a length of aluminum barrel stock. As for paint and finish, look into Cera-kote by NIC, It is a ceramic oven-baked firearms coating. The beauty of it is that it can go over plastic or metal. For plastic (or optics such as a sealed scope), it cures as 180 degrees for an hour or two. I used this on my once-hideous ICS M3 Greasegun. It made the plastic parts identical to the metal. It is amazingly tough. The first night out, junior ran into a barbed-wire fence with it. Not a scratch! Well, not true for junior, but the gun finish withstood it. I already have it on hand for my Spartan Laser.

Nice work!

Redshirt

I think I'll go a slightly different direction with it, given the very low softening temperature of the ABS, I'm worried about my internal structure sagging under heat without supports such as the gearbox inside.

With most of my builds, I sand down the surface, leave it nice and textured. Then I prime with a high-build automotive primer. THen a coating of the primary surface color in nonreflective spray, then detail colors also in nonreflective spray, then metal fatigue effects with brush-on silver and dry-brush application. Once all of these are done, I go ahead and apply a satin clearcoat. It's not as durable but it looks a helluva lot better and it costs about $15 start to finish, and doesn't require me to go out and buy a new oven to avoid upsetting the folks.

Also, I lack access to milling equipment, and am making a point t build this one as much on my own as possible. THough in this case, and with the optic, I may just buy one. A very short barrel extension and a G36 flash hider will look about right, I think. Four prongs instead of three, but that's alright.

That is the one of the most epic airsoft guns i have seen! lol
You and Redshirt need to get together and build some lol, his Splazer is righteous as well!

I saw that thing! Delicious. ^_^

Anyway, now I'm getting the idea that a bit of body-filler putty would really set this thing off, if I used it to fill in the voids left by sloppy plate joining or cutting/grinding.

That is the one of the most epic airsoft guns i have seen! lol
You and Redshirt need to get together and build some lol, his Splazer is righteous as well!

Thanks!

I saw that thing! Delicious. ^_^

Anyway, now I'm getting the idea that a bit of body-filler putty would really set this thing off, if I used it to fill in the voids left by sloppy plate joining or cutting/grinding.

If you can afford to spend an extra few bucks, use the stuff with short glass hair in it for areas that might get hit or chipped. Use Body Icing for scratches and imperfections--it is so fast and easy to sand without shrinking like spot putty. Also, the spot putty has toluene that softens plastic. Whenever I've used it on styrene or ABS, the surrounding area never sands quite right. Bondo doesn't do that, and the icing is bondo with a softer filler. I get sticker shock every time I buy icing (about $25 bucks), but I love how fast it sets up and how easy it is to work.

Looking great!

Redshirt

Thanks for the tip! Normally I lean toward compounds with a solvent base, simply because I find that I prefer to fuse plates rather than join them. But then, maybe there's the reason I need some kind of filler. :D

Normally the joints are pretty tight, just a matter of sanding and priming well.
But this body icing stuff sounds cool. I'm not the kind of guy who shies away from components with a price in the $25 range, if they work, the money justifies itself.
Is there somewhere I can find this stuff in person? Maybe an automotive supply shop? If I have to mail order, I won't complain either.

THe thing I like about this method so much, is that if it's done right, it leaves nothing but flat, rigid plastic plate stock in critical wear areas. Most of my issue is large gaps (1-2mm) and seams running along planar surfaces that simply don't look right on inspection.

EDIT:

I was about to go look up "Body Icing" on Dogpile when I was given pause by the notion that I would find all matter of erotic horrors instead of polymer-based automotive repair products. Where can I dig this stuff up?

EDIT 2:
Someone on an airsoft site just pointed me toward this projection optic. I was originally looking at a 4x-magnifying short-tube reddot optic by UTG, that would have looked pretty tame and pretty true to the original model, but given that a relatively stock airsoft rifle has little use for a 4x magnifying optic, this one has exactly what I need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
What do you think, for look?

Redtail,
Your optic choice looks pretty good. You are right about matching realistic optics to airsoft guns.

I get Body Icing at my local NAPA store. They carry higher end everything (especially parts) than Autozone and the rest. I used some the other day and was wet sanding in 5 minutes. Painting in ten! That's not how to get the best results, but I needed to get on to something else.

Redshirt

I've used 3-9x optics on much more advanced airguns in the past. BUt this is less a marksman's build and more of a compact assault rifle. It'll be competitive with other ARs. I might do a proper marksman's rifle internal build so that I can use it per the game's function. :D

For the time this will be perfect. Otherwise, in the future I'll add the fancy red-dot back on top of a magnifying optic as a secondary sight for a more powerful scope.

BUt yeah! That sounds right up my alley, I can often have issues being patient.

I'm really hoping that I can have this thing done before August 9.

On AutoZone and NAPA...
THat's an odd one. I used to feel the same, but in recent years I've had lots of trouble with Napa's remanufactured products, mostly electrical system stuff for my old '65 Tempest. GOt a bum set of valve cover gaskets, a bad alternator, and a box of BR8-ES spark plugs for my little café racer that had been dropped at one point.

I've actually taken to sourcing car parts from JC Whitney or Jegs, or for more exotic stuff, there's a cool little musclecar shop the next town over called THe Parts Place.
For bike stuff, I usually go secondhand in the classifieds section of DoTHeTon.com or head to the next town up where I've got a buddy who does top-notch work on two-strokes.

Redshirt, you ever play airsoft in the Midwest region?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back