Transformers Build (Sideswipe) Finished! Pics on Pg 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I work at a movie theatre in Wichita, KS. We often like to do a lot of fun promotions for movies (such as dressing up as pirates for a week quite recently.) Before I was working there a few years back some of my friends had made Transformers costumes.

So naturally this must be done again and I joined in! We (fthkinz is also working on one) will be wearing our costumes (about 4 of us) the night of the premier. I've been working on this for a couple weeks but wanted to wait to post until I had some progress to show. I started with just a duct tape dummy I had made and then build up from there. I've also included a couple of computer fans on the back to keep me cool, and I must say they work quite well! This is my first time workin in Cardboard but I really enjoy it! as of now I am finishing up my torso and plan to finish the arms today as well, it must(and will) all be done in time by the premier. And so let the pics begin!!!

798fa760.jpg

186a78ef.jpg

039b2129.jpg

2a9de5f9.jpg

dfb99408.jpg

First Test fit
221400ac.jpg

a935a6e7.jpg

1bd3672a.jpg

Fan housings
9fea852e.jpg

4031f023.jpg

2591f351.jpg

bf8aad7e.jpg

I feel pretty BA in this thing!
95afe1dd.jpg

Fan coverings before adding exaust pipes

Hope you've enjoyed and I'm now off to go finish the back and the arms!

Looks totally legit and great work using cardboard. How do you plan on doing the helmet?

Thanks! And for that I'm thinking I'll build a rough framework around by head using tape first so as to not hot glue myself. Then stuff the frame with newspaper and build off of that.

Looking epic PAUL!!!!!!!!!! Yours is going to be 1,000,000 times better than the rest of ours :D. Ofcourse I've already told you that on Facebook XD.

Quick update before I head off to work!
f6e1ac8f.jpg

Back with exhaust pipes added
8556aa94.jpg

Slide away compartment or batteries/switch
92f5cff1.jpg

4f8e5c91.jpg

Wings/doors
e149177f.jpg

Arms
929397fc.jpg

Great looking build. The transformers characters are tailor built for cardboard builds. All the layers of pieces sell the look so well. I can't wait to see more.

Glad you guys are enjoying the build! Have another update. Finished my arms and finishing up my legs now. Had to make the blades detactchable so I can still work in them (maybe.) All thats left now is the codpiece and helmet for the weekend!
f525e36e.jpg

56836ef6.jpg

c14a150c.jpg

c24aae4f.jpg

e842d141.jpg

Glad you like it :D and no this I did not know. When searching for reference pics I may have found only one other costume done of Sideswipe. Transformers in general seemed to not be built often. Thanks for the link though, I'll have to head over and check it out.

Actually if you search for them there are a ton of Transformers costumes out there. I've seen ones with lights and moving parts and even a few that actually transform.

On your costume are you going to try to incorporate his wheel feet? I think that would be the one touch that would take it over the top.

Keep up the good work!

I'll have to try digging a little deeper then because I have seen a few of those. As for the feet I already have the wheels partially built and I'll include those in the next update. That will probably be tomorrow night as I'm going to orientation for college tomorrow. It's crunch time now!

Sorry for the lack of updates lately but was busy finishing up for the premier! We had our IMAX. Midnight showing last night and was a big success. Here are some pics people took of me, I'll try to also find a good full body shot if I can. Also included is the build of the helmet
e18921c0.jpg

5080c674.jpg

3e0d6443.jpg

aea80f32.jpg

696e401d.jpg

Holy cow man! That is awesome!. Im sad i missed this post at first. The cardboard works really well. Keep it up!

Nice build man. You thinking of doing any other of the transformers? If so look forward to seeing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back