True RC Pelican WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some pretty pics for ya'll :) I did not put in the engine area detail because if i get everything right im just going to be cutting them out anyways. Also i did not put the flaps on because those i would also need to modify! Thank you for keepin up and checkin out my work!

imagejpeg_3.jpg

imagejpeg_29.jpg

so how r u going to get it to fly??

I dont understand the question. It states how i am. 12 engines 6 designated strictly for hovering 6 for flying. gonna try to make it hover first. Just gotta make everything work together as one unit. Still pepping atm. I have 1/2 the 2nd wing done

DOUBLE UPDATE DAY!
Okay so I just finished pepping my other wing and to say the least they are almost identical. There are very slight difference in angles that after i sand them down should cause me no problems. I think im going to just simply resin the entire plane. Im guessing its going to way around 10-15 pounds give or take. but ive also done some math and i believe with 6 engines giving vertical thrust i should beable to hover as long as i have the correct engines and everything is workin together as a unit. Again just a stepping stone in a long road but still it makes me smile that progress is being made! :)

imagejpeg_4.jpg

imagejpeg_3-1.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

I really can't tell the difference in the pictures. Good job, and if you're still worried I think you could make them more identical in the bondo stage. Good work!

I just dont like foam. In all honesty i really dont. I agree its lighter but ive had too many planes made out of foam that just shred on the first crash. Its a possiblity for the future if this doesnt work out tho

I just dont like foam. In all honesty i really dont. I agree its lighter but ive had too many planes made out of foam that just shred on the first crash. Its a possiblity for the future if this doesnt work out tho

They shred because the company uses cheap material to mass produce. I'm talking about the heavy duty stuff. EVA foam is so durable, you need to heat it up just to make it flexible.

Man, I REALLY hope you are able to do this now. It would be one of the coolest things of ALL TIME to see a hovering/flying Pelican! Good luck!

Thanks and Ive finally decided after lookin into things that it would be best to just bondo it. i just have to have enough power and stability.

One thing I have pondered is seeing a real life, full scale Pelican being made. The two problems with the game's design are this:

1. The fuel lines for the thrusters in the gyrating wings would have to be both sturdy and flexible.
2. The fuel in general would need a lot of space. The bet solution to this would be to put anecterior hatch on the cockpit and take a few feet off the cargo bay for fueling storage.

Other than that, Bungie created a very usable design. Everything from the air intake for two larg cumbustion engines on the main wings, and two cutdown versions for the rear wings. The chin gun is sketchy, but most of the true Pelican is very functional.

GOOD NIGHT UPDATE
Hey all so after a long day of researching pepping and flying pelicans in the game itself. I have done about as much research as i possibly can for now. Now all I can do is just finish pepping and get the Fuselage done. But i have a treat for ya'll I worked at a decent pace today and I finished both 2 wings and both rear wing/thruster pod things.

imagejpeg_31.jpg

imagejpeg_21.jpg

Anyways I'm gonna start on the fuselage tomorrow and im also gonna go look at engines, circuits, relays, gryos etc etc. Stay tuned for more updates!

remember to do some maths before you go shopping and estimate weights into the equations to get a rough idea of power needed so you can find relevant engines. I've done some pondering this morning while I was driving and came to some conclusions based on some rough math. For the current size and my estimated weight, plus size of components; if you really want to use these materials it will probably need to be a lot bigger than 3ft to house all the gear needed just to hover.

Another idea but again it'll need to be made bigger to accommodate for it, is to have a helium filled sack inside the craft to add buoyancy and counter act the weight issue, it won't get it off the ground but it will help.

Look for RC car nitro engines, they should have the power you need, i'd hope. Draw back is they drink fuel! and a lot of it.
you'll need fair sized propellers on the end of the prop shafts to turn that power into lift again another reason for this probably needing to be bigger.

I know you say you don't like foam but it would definitely serve as a better weight saving alternative.
Will be interested to see how your shopping trip goes, keep us posted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back