Try This One On For Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrAZiiMan117

Jr Member
I know that I wouldn't want to have to carry around a weapon all of the time, while being fully suited up. Also I do not want to compramise the authenticity of the suit by adding an arm sling for it. So Chiefs and Chiefetts, I present to you, my soulution. (although I'm not sure if it has been thought of before)

[attachment=11539:magnetic points.JPG]

How will this help you ask?

Simply add magnets on these points on the armor along with a point on your weapon.

If the magnet is strong enough 2 hold up a paper weapon then it should work perfectly (in theory)

I don't have a finished product of this yet but it is already in production! :)

I didn't even think this needed saying...it's not given? MAPs (magnetic attachment points) are mentioned in the eric nylund novels at any rate. This thread seems to me to be exactly as helpful as pointing out that armor pieces can very easily be fastened together with snaps or velcro.

Sorry if this post was extremely offensive.

yccars said:
I didn't even think this needed saying...it's not given? MAPs (magnetic attachment points) are mentioned in the eric nylund novels at any rate. This thread seems to me to be exactly as helpful as pointing out that armor pieces can very easily be fastened together with snaps or velcro.

Sorry if this post was extremely offensive.

No offence taken, I'm still new to all of this, so I just figured I'd share it just in case some people didn't already know about it (like myself).

Last edited by a moderator:
Lord Perth 16 said:
Yea....search...before...posting....*sigh*

I already searched, probably not good enough since this comment was made, but I can see that I helped out someone already. Again, I'm new. I'm just happy that I'm not posting threds asking for the Wiki Index or What is Pepakura. Thank your time though :)

Funny thing is, even though this has been discussed many times, I've yet to see anyone use them. I'm sure some people have, but I can't recall anyone saying, "I used magnets for my suit".

I'm definetely planning on using them to attach my magnums to my thighs. The strongest ones I was able to find in a store were some small button neodymium (spelling?) magnets that I found at hobby lobby. Two of them can hold about a half pound to a wall, and I'm going to use two an either side for the magnum setup. I'll be sure to show people if I can get it to work.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're from arlington. I'm not too far away from ya man. ;) When you learn more on the site, you should get to know some of the other guys from texas.

I know NewSpartanCreator used them in one of his video's and it looks like it work but in his video you can also see some of the flaw in magnets as if you dont put then in the right spot they will fall off, Just my 2 cents

HeavyGunner said:
Funny thing is, even though this has been discussed many times, I've yet to see anyone use them. I'm sure some people have, but I can't recall anyone saying, "I used magnets for my suit".

I'm definetely planning on using them to attach my magnums to my thighs. The strongest ones I was able to find in a store were some small button neodymium (spelling?) magnets that I found at hobby lobby. Two of them can hold about a half pound to a wall, and I'm going to use two an either side for the magnum setup. I'll be sure to show people if I can get it to work.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're from arlington. I'm not too far away from ya man. ;) When you learn more on the site, you should get to know some of the other guys from texas.

yea so far (where i live) im the only one who knows about the 405th site hahaha

also regarding the magnets, I have come across magnets stronger than that; I just have to find out where to get them. Also when you freez a magnet it becomes stronger :D

Th3 FETT MAN said:
I know NewSpartanCreator used them in one of his video's and it looks like it work but in his video you can also see some of the flaw in magnets as if you dont put then in the right spot they will fall off, Just my 2 cents

Yea thats why I'm trying to find a full proof way of making them work. It wont be easy, but I'm really planning on making it work out, hopefully, with the help of some more experienced members on the site.

Just so you know, its kind of frowned apon to double post as well. Just consolidate into one post. NSC used his magnets to try to attach a tiny plasma grenade to a thigh, and it barely worked. And those were earth magnets

Ok three quick things, one: stop posting twice, mods don't like it and there isn't a need you can answer two(2) questions in one(1) post! Even more if you get creative. Secondly, while I don't know about the accuracy of freezing magnets: what happens when it thaws? Also, apparently you never looked up that other thread you would have several links to places that sell magnets.

Temperature has a negligble (at lease any temperature reached using a conventional freezer) on a magnet. When you get closer to absolute zero though really cool stuff happens. The most powerful magnets you can get are neodymium (rare earth) and electromagnets both of which have been known to wipe credit cards clean.

And copied from magnetsales.com for you

Can I make a magnet that I already have any stronger?

Once a magnet is fully magnetized, it cannot be made any stronger - it is "saturated". In that sense, magnets are like buckets of water: once they are full, they can't get any "fuller".

@mc hammer time:

I didn't fully understand what double posting was, and I apologize for it.

@Robby

As you can see, I fixed the double posting problem. And I'm guessing when it thaws it will go bak to normal state. I'll have to do more research. But as for heating it, the magnet will become weaker. The reason why is because as you heat a magnet you supply it with more thermal energy, so the individual electron spins (like tiny magnet themselves) become more likely to be in high-energy states, pointing oppositely to their neighbors. That means that they’re less lined up so the total magnetism is reduced. At some point, in between the weakening of the overall magnetism and the availability of extra thermal energy, it becomes easy for domain walls- the boundaries between regions that are lined up pointing different directions- to slide around. Then the domains will rearrange so that they reduce the large-scale field energy by pointing different directions. That means that your permanent magnet is no longer overall magnetized. As you heat further, individual spins within domains become more likely to point opposite to their neighbors, and that reduces the average alignment seen by their neighbors too, reducing the effect which favors their having lined up in the first place. At a well-defined temperature, called the Curie temperature, the whole tendency to align into domains collapses, and the material ceases to be a ferromagnet at all. Cooling the material will cause magnetic domains to form again at the Curie temperature, but unless an external field is applied as the material cools, the domains will point all different directions, so you won’t have a net magnetized permanent magnet.

My link

(this is where i found the information)

I will post links where to buy them later.

@Tango:

I must have heard wrong about freezing them sorry for the bad info. But thanks for the insight.

All I was referring to was that if you counted on the extra "power" output of a frozen magnet to support your weapons then they would drop off when they finally warm up...

Also your article can be summed up: heat is destructive to magnets. It does not necessarily follow that cold repairs them, it just doesn't work that way. If you smash a jar with a bat, removing the bat does not repair the jar.

*edit* After reading the article further. If you heat up a magnet it becomes useless as a magnet and cannot even be re-made into a magnet until re-cooled below a certain temperature. Once cooled it is just a lump of metal again. No magical power gains, sorry.

Robby said:
All I was referring to was that if you counted on the extra "power" output of a frozen magnet to support your weapons then they would drop off when they finally warm up...

Also your article can be summed up: heat is destructive to magnets. It does not necessarily follow that cold repairs them, it just doesn't work that way. If you smash a jar with a bat, removing the bat does not repair the jar.

Yes I understand, I learnd that now since I have been researching this all night. As others are saying, it isn't easy. I wasnt expecting it to be. Which is why I'm going through alot of trouble to try and get this right. Worst comes to worst, I'll maybe just add a "hook" or something on the back. But that is a last resort.

PS

Thanks to all who have been helping me out, on both how not to get in trouble by the mods and info on magnets. The more things get cleared up for me, the more I can find out how to make it work.

KrAZiiMan117 said:
I already searched, probably not good enough since this comment was made, but I can see that I helped out someone already. Again, I'm new. I'm just happy that I'm not posting threds asking for the Wiki Index or What is Pepakura. Thank your time though :)

yeah sometimes the searches you try are named something else and then someone posts a try searching before posting comment.....but eh we're in the noob forums so that shouldn't be to frowned upon and like you said I've seen much worse comments from "noobs" asking well....noob questions and it upsetting some people but....their noobs....duh and so am I heh

Your solution?! excuse me but have you seen this thread by me?

You sure did sell it better though :p

Edit, try researching "Neodynium magnets", they are very small and powerful.

sierra092 said:
Your solution?! excuse me but have you seen this thread by me?

You sure did sell it better though :p

Edit, try researching "Neodynium magnets", they are very small and powerful.

No I didn't see it, sorry. My search wasn't quite good enough the first time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back