Trying To Make My First Set Of Mark Vl Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokujo17

Jr Member
Well guys & girls as it says this will be the first set of armor I'm trying to make. First of all I'm going to tell you that this post wont be updated a lot, because I'm spending most of my time trying to find a job. . . But just keep a watch cuz you'll never know when I'll update it tho XD. Alright well first of all I'm going to start with the helment. I made my first helment and I thought it was going to come out for the size of my head but nope. I sized it for 27 cm. Well I thought to myself whatever I'll just make another one and the small one can go to my g/f's little brother since he's really into starwars, I'll just paint the helment white. So I printed out another helment this time I sized it for 30 cm but still I printed it out to small. . . So now this time I did it for 34 cm, and yes its just right XD. What a great first time with my new hobby.

When the scaling on a helmet does not work out perfectly you can sometimes adjust sizing by slicing it in half straight down the middle and add material to increase the size in the desired dimension. This only works well for minor size adjustments though, if the scaling is way off it is better to rebuild.

Heres the first helment I made that I'm going to give to my g/f's little brother when I done with it.
S6300578.jpg
S6300579.jpg
S6300580.jpg
Like I said its small XD. O and sorry the pics aren't to clear and a little shakey.

you had to scale a MK VI hat at 34 cm for it to fit??!?!? what are you putting an LCD tv in there?

This looks great Kokoju! The folds are lovely and tidy and ther's no mistakes at all as far as I can see!

One of the best I've seen for saying it's your first time building!

Here's an awesome thread for the next stage - http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2287

You'll find pretty much everything you need to know in there!

I'm sure this will turn out excellent, I bet your girlfriend's brother will be thrilled to bits!

Good Luck, drop me a PM if you need anything :]

Well I've done my other helment & I must say its much easyer doing it the second time, & plus having the first helment done I didn't have to look for numbers. Also I've done the shins as well, I might of made them a little to tall but it should be ok. Well other then that all they need is a rod placed inside the knee area to push it out to make it a little wider. So the next part I tryed to do was the hand plates. . . I guess I would say I got about half way done with one then desided I'll do those later. Then I started on the upper leg peaces & then I find out I messed up on the sizing once again. . . So now its the forearm. Also thanks for the info xxfemalepsartanxx, I already have resin, fiberglass cloth, & bondo. Well heres the new helment.
S6300582.jpg
S6300583.jpg
& now the two helments together to show the diff in size
S6300581.jpg
S6300584.jpg
Also heres what the shins look like front
S6300586.jpg
back
S6300585.jpg
I don't have any pics of the half done hand plate yet.

Alright so I'v done a little more work on my armor but thier still not done just yet.
S6300588.jpg
S6300589.jpg
S6300590.jpg
S6300592.jpg
Now you'll see how much I still have to go left on the forearm peace.
S6300591.jpg

Alright so I got a little more done but not much. Well the smaller helment has been coated two times & sanded just a little, but I still need to fiberglass the inside of it. Also I got around to coating the shins a bit, still waiting for them to dry. Well I don't know if I'm going to do the whole suit just yet, theirs just so many little lines to fold. I might just go with my first goal of trying to make all the helments first then go for the full suit. Well heres some pics of what I've done so far.
S6300594.jpg
S6300593.jpg
S6300595.jpg
S6300596.jpg

Well I thought I'd update you guys & girls, I was set back a little in the build. The forearm peace was to big for my arm, other then that I've made the cod peace & both upper leg peaces. I'll post pics when I get some.

Ok well I guess I just have bad luck or something when it comes to this. The cod peace I made was about 3 inches to short then the two upper leg peaces where messed up, because well its Florida & it rains a bit. . . So I still have the shin peaces that I have now stoped working on to see if I can find HD pep shins. Umm other then that will see how things keep going with my other parts, so right now I'm making the chest plate which seems to be fine for now(Fingers crossed).

Ok well this is how far I am on the chest plate(I ran out of glue. . .)
S6300597.jpg
I think its coming along nice so far but only time can tell.

Well I thought I'd update you guys & girls a little, not much has been done since the last post. Well the chest plate might be 2 or 3 inches to big for me. . . & with the smaller helment I started to do a little bondo work to it. Well as you can see on the helment theirs spots that will be covered by bondo. My g/f's little brother doesn't really know what halo is since he's only in 1st grade now, but he loves starwars. So I thought cover up some stuff paint it white with some blue spots he'd love the helment.
S6300003.jpg
S6300001.jpg
S6300002.jpg

looking good so far. forewarning the detailing on the back of the torso is really stinking hard. but perseverance will only get you shot.....or was it victory...... anyway good job

double check to make sure your printer is set to print in the same orientation as you have pepakura set to print.

Landscape = Landscape

Portrait = Portrait

Landscape =/= Portrait

That's why you had to scale it so big, your printer was sizing the piece down to make it fit on the paper since the orientations were not the same.

Might be the source of your sizing problems. *shrug*

Folds and resining looking good for all your troubles though, keep up the good work!

~(null).exe

Well theirs nothing really to update about, I've just been doing some more bondo work on the smaller helment. I thought I'd take pics of the helment and the chest plate on to show you guys & girls how it looks so far. Now that I look at it the chest might be just right XD. Heres more of a full look at it.
S6300006.jpg
Now for more a close up on the chest plate.
S6300007.jpg
O & were do you guys & girls get those armor stat tag at because I can't seem to find one XD, also if anyone could help me with a link for hd shins & hd upper leg plates thanks.

Nice work! Im doing Mark VI myself but i haven't gotten anywhere, im trying to get the money for supplies. Im using hot glue and paper mache instead of fiberglass resin and bondo (parents worried about safety). Im in the planning progress at the moment and deciding wether to use CQB or the Mark VI Helmet. Keep it up!

-Lifepod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back