TumbleRat's Combat knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

TumbleRat12

Hello all of you Human/Alien dudes. I just finished a combat knife and wanted some feedback on my work. I couldn't find my camera when I was making it, sorry :(

I created the knife out of 1/8th inch wood board. The knife is 10[SUP]1/2 [/SUP]inches long and 1[SUP]1/2 [/SUP]inches wide (without the thumb guard). The wood handle was sandwiched in between two shaped pieces of EVA foam and wrapped in black duct tape. The sheath is two 7[SUP] 1/4[/SUP]inch long pieces of duct tape (with the sticky side facing out) and then covered in two more 7[SUP] 1/4[/SUP]inch strips of duct tape. The edges of the sheath are rivets that I added with a rivet gun.

Reach_Recon.jpg
This ⇧, is what I used as a reference for my knife. (courtesy of Google Images and Halo Nation)

IMG_0629.JPG
I added the Tally marks by cutting a series of shallow lines and then used a fine tipped sharpie to add depth to them

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

Reach_Recon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Each Con's webpage will have what can and cannot be brought in to the building. Rule of thumb, real weapons are not allowed at all. Some Cons do not even allow prop weapons unless they zip-tie it directly to your costume so it can't be taken out. Some Cons insist on the ends of the weapons (guns) have orange caps indicating a non-firing status. No Nerf guns unless they are non functional and rendered inactive. They have covered almost every weapon conceivable. And if they haven't seen it yet......they make the determination on the spot. Either they will inspect it and allow you in or they will tell you to take it out and not return w/ it or confiscate it. No joking w/ these rules.

Each Con's webpage will have what can and cannot be brought in to the building. Rule of thumb, real weapons are not allowed at all. Some Cons do not even allow prop weapons unless they zip-tie it directly to your costume so it can't be taken out. Some Cons insist on the ends of the weapons (guns) have orange caps indicating a non-firing status. No Nerf guns unless they are non functional and rendered inactive. They have covered almost every weapon conceivable. And if they haven't seen it yet......they make the determination on the spot. Either they will inspect it and allow you in or they will tell you to take it out and not return w/ it or confiscate it. No joking w/ these rules.
ok i will check it out.

No convention or party allows real sharp knives - no ComicCon, no GamesCom or any fantasy cons or what so ever.
Even on Gamescom one can have problems bringing props that resemble real guns.

No convention or party allows real sharp knives - no ComicCon, no GamesCom or any fantasy cons or what so ever.
Even on Gamescom one can have problems bringing props that resemble real guns.
i checked. if i have a orange tip i'm good

i checked. if i have a orange tip i'm good

Orange tip = fake
So, yeah, no real knives or guns or what so ever that can hurt, kill or has a sharp edge, etc.

On gamescom they could potentially even take your knife, even if it was resin BUT had a sharp edge that could hurt.

Pretty nice knife, I like the sleeve you made for it. I think instead of a sleeve I might stick magnets in mine and just have it stick to the chest somewhere.

I've see some put the magnet into the build so you don't even see it. I would say stick w/ the sheath as you don't want to mar up your work. The sheath can get a magnet on the inside or back w/o issue. I would also agree w/ Cyan Junkie. Some where on the chest. You will have to add an additional strap to hold the knife in the sheath though, as the opening will be pointing downward.

I've see some put the magnet into the build so you don't even see it. I would say stick w/ the sheath as you don't want to mar up your work. The sheath can get a magnet on the inside or back w/o issue. I would also agree w/ Cyan Junkie. Some where on the chest. You will have to add an additional strap to hold the knife in the sheath though, as the opening will be pointing downward.

Actually, the sheath is tight enough to hold the knife in when it is upsidedown. How do you think I should attach the sheath to chest armor?

The smallest earth magnets you can find. You would need to embed one set in the chest piece so you can paint over it, and the other in the sheath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back