TwistedCory's Pep Armor Progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwistedCory

Jr Member
and I think i am going to attempt my first pep armor. I am gonna need your guys help :). I'm starting with the helmet first. I have never fibreglassed before, and frankly think ill be lost at the point. Let me know if I have the process right.

1. Print out pep sheets.
2. Fold and glue together.
3. 2 coats of resin on outside of helm
4. 1 coat of resin on inside of helm
5. lay the fibre down on inside of helm
6. 2 coats of resin on inside of helm
7. bondo on outside of helm for detailing
8. Painting of helm.

I like to be completely prepared for any project I start. So i want to know step by step what I am going to do before hand.
I just wanted to confirm my steps with you guys before I start. Also, what should I use for the visor to get that gold effect that I can see through?

Thanks guys for your help in advance. You all are truly great artists and have inspired me greatly!

(i will post pics through my process)

Thanks

Cory
(TwistedCory)

TwistedCory said:
and I think i am going to attempt my first pep armor. I am gonna need your guys help :). I'm starting with the helmet first. I have never fibreglassed before, and frankly think ill be lost at the point. Let me know if I have the process right.

1. Print out pep sheets.
2. Fold and glue together.
3. 2 coats of resin on outside of helm
4. 1 coat of resin on inside of helm
5. lay the fibre down on inside of helm
6. 2 coats of resin on inside of helm
7. bondo on outside of helm for detailing
8. Painting of helm.

I like to be completely prepared for any project I start. So i want to know step by step what I am going to do before hand.
I just wanted to confirm my steps with you guys before I start. Also, what should I use for the visor to get that gold effect that I can see through?

Thanks guys for your help in advance. You all are truly great artists and have inspired me greatly!

(i will post pics through my process)

Thanks

Cory
(TwistedCory)

I believe that's right... I'm on the same boat as you... :p... For visors I think I will be looking at motocycle visors...

Last edited by a moderator:
Macattack64 said:
I believe that's right... I'm on the same boat as you... :p... For visors I think I will be looking at motocycle visors...

Yes you buy motorcycle replacement visors.

And yes your are correct

Shadow_Killer801 said:
Yes you buy motorcycle replacement visors.

And yes your are correct

do the replacement visors fit the pep mold? or is there cutting/modding involved?

also im unfamilar with bondo? is it like a thin glue? or is it something u can mold with ur hands?

thanks guys!

you shouldn't ever touch bondo. Its like a paste that turns into a hard plastic (though it isn't plastic). It turns in about 10 minutes.

The moto visor will have to be trimmed to fit. You can do that with a dremmel tool.

Adam said:
you shouldn't ever touch bondo. Its like a paste that turns into a hard plastic (though it isn't plastic). It turns in about 10 minutes.

The moto visor will have to be trimmed to fit. You can do that with a dremmel tool.

What's the best and basic dremmel tool that will do the job that isn't to much of a break in my wallet...

Macattack64 said:
What's the best and basic dremmel tool that will do the job that isn't to much of a break in my wallet...

i believe most dremels are only about 30$ but thats only here in canada they may be cheaper or more expensive down there

Looking back on my pep helmet i wish i would have put on two coats of resin. Watch where you place it to dry because it can get bent out of shape. I did one coat of resin, 3 coats of fiberglass, and a coat of bondo. Bondo is annoying you really only get like 4 mins before it hardens, but it is much easier to sand than fiberglass and you can fill in all the rough spots on your helmet. It will get the helmet pretty smooth. You can look how mine turned out http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3574

That will work, but here's the method I used.

resin outside
resin inside
fiberglass inside
bondo outside for details
sand

You can also put bondo on top to make it more rounded.

Allright, helmet building is done... here are the photos:

All peices cut out..
HaloArmorCreation006.jpg

Glueing...
HaloArmorCreation013.jpg

Visor together...
HaloArmorCreation018.jpg

Visor and partial top...
HaloArmorCreation017.jpg

Visor and all of top...
HaloArmorCreation035.jpg

All done, front...
HaloArmorCreation028.jpg

Side...
HaloArmorCreation030.jpg

Side/Top
HaloArmorCreation033.jpg

Back...
HaloArmorCreation031.jpg

On, left side...
HaloArmorCreation024.jpg

On, right side...
HaloArmorCreation026.jpg

On, back...
HaloArmorCreation025.jpg

(as you can see, i removed the back neck protector.. the helm was a bit to small to get on and off, so i took that peice out so it would go on smoothly. I think it will look fine without it)

6 1/2 hours total, finally done!
HaloArmorCreation018-1.jpg

So tell me what you guys think, this is my first time every making anything like this. First time with Pep as well..
I am content, now on to glassing! YAY!

dallis said:
i believe most dremels are only about 30$ but thats only here in canada they may be cheaper or more expensive down there

Canada FTW!

Euhm Nice helmet you got there!

(as you can see, i removed the back neck protector.. the helm was a bit to small to get on and off, so i took that peice out so it would go on smoothly. I think it will look fine without it)

yes I know i cut off the 'second hangdown thing'

Great work there.I have done (cut,fold,paste) 3 chestplates 2 thighs 2 bicepts to get the scaling just right its allot of time and energy but worth it.

i would assume that the helmet is the hardest to fold and put together... please tell me thats so.. im assuming it is, since the corners and folds are alot tighter in the helm then the chest or others...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back