U.S. ARMY Powersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is awesome, yes... but they still have a ways to go. Around a base, used as a technician, it'd be cool. But he's still vulnerable to sniper fire, and the power cord would limit full battlefield mobility. Until they get those covered, it'd be awesome for work around a runway, lifting missiles and what not.

wow, I saw a pair of exoskeleton leg units for marching long distances that gave increased strength, but I didn't realise they were that far into it.

That suit can easily be armored in all the key areas, with flexible bullet proof vest-material in the places where flexibility is needed.

The problem I saw, however, is that the hands are a pair of hooks, to make it fully functioning in combat, they need to somehow make gaunlets.

Oh and, imagine using that as the frame for a master chief costume :D

this thing seems like a very good frame for improvements, but there are still some issues, and the major issue of a power-source, preferably one that can keep the thing going for a long time on the field.

im in the military and ill tell u right now that would never work out in the field. if there was a crew back at the FOB (forward operating base), and heavy lifting needed to be done fast and smooth, i think it would work out find but that cord would really get in teh way

yeah, notice how at the end of the video they said it isn't ready for combat, and that they are working on making the power-supply portable.

People look at these exoskeleton projects, and they go, "it's crap", when the technology isn't ready, you don't see any soldiers lugging around in that monster of a machine in Iraq, now do you? Just gotta give it some time, and very likely, the soldiers of the next decade will be wearing things like those, the final versions that is.

actually, they would never make mechs, mechs are ineffective, and anything a mech can do, a tank can do better.

contrary to what they show in video games and on t.v., mech's are not only less effective due to their center of gravity being so high up that it can be tipped over and rendered useless with a single explosive projectile, but they also have a more complex mechanism, the wheels of a tank themselves are the perfect platform for mounting weaponry, it's stable, and can manage any terrain.

Rocknrollcows said:
now its exoskeletons. but give it 20years? 50 years? and we'll have Mechs! :D or like those things in Gundam or Armored Core!
We don't need Mechs... We need Spartans! lol. That plus a Master Chief frame would be awesome!
I wonder how much they go for? And where you could buy one.

Last edited by a moderator:
PillowFire said:
yeah, notice how at the end of the video they said it isn't ready for combat, and that they are working on making the power-supply portable.

People look at these exoskeleton projects, and they go, "it's crap", when the technology isn't ready, you don't see any soldiers lugging around in that monster of a machine in Iraq, now do you? Just gotta give it some time, and very likely, the soldiers of the next decade will be wearing things like those, the final versions that is.

Power sources have always been the downfall of exosuits. Maybe the recent developments in nanotech can finally solve those problems, if companies like EEStor can finally cough up working prototypes..

In the meantime, optimized mechanisms, i.e. tanks and wheeled vehicles, will be superior.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really see this working very effeciently on the battlefield with modern day battery packs, unless they have a way to make the users movements recharge the battery pack while it's being used.

And Sean, you visited IAB? Awesome. I go there a lot, I'm surprised I didn't see this sooner :p

oh very nice but now i wont be surprissed if they would make a nice master chief armor similiar to this , humanoids. spartans with humanstrengh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back