UNSC SOCOM Trooper-WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the comments.

I’ll do my best to post a tutorial on how to cast with the gelcoat/fiberglass/resin. I may not be able to do it for a while, but when I get around to it, I will post it.

I finally gathered enough courage to pull a cast of the shoulder. I made a few mistakes, but I am more then sure during my next few casts all of the problems will be resolved.

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

The gelcoat is a little thin, but there is virtually no clean up needed. Some light sanding will insure its ready for paint. I still have to trim the edges, but other then that the first pull looks fairly decent.

Anyway, tell me what you think. I will be doing a small run of these in a few days/weeks.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the comments.

I’ll do my best to post a tutorial on how to cast with the gelcoat/fiberglass/resin. I may not be able to do it for a while, but when I get around to it, I will post it.

I finally gathered enough courage to pull a cast of the shoulder. I made a few mistakes, but I am more then sure during my next few casts all of the problems will be resolved.

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

The gelcoat is a little thin, but there is virtually no clean up needed. Some light sanding will insure its ready for paint. I still have to trim the edges, but other then that the first pull looks fairly decent.

Anyway, tell me what you think. I will be doing a small run of these in a few days/weeks.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

freakin' sweet

Thanks Project003.

I just pulled a second cast of the shoulder and it turned out far better then the first. I used 50mL of gelcoat instead of 35mL. It worked far better and it no longer is so thin. I also rolled the bubbles out of the fiberglass matt a little more so the overall strength has increased.

I have also started the shoulders under armour/padding design and construction. It looks promising so far, and I’m just working out the bugs. I’m relatively new to the whole molding and casting thing, let alone finishing my first armour part (Yes, nearly 2 years of membership and still no finished armour parts) and I can honestly say things are turning out to be far better then I had hoped.

However, I am still skeptical about certain details and the overall symmetry of the shoulder, but it seems to please the members here, so I will live with its imperfections for the time being.

More pictures of the prototype shoulder under armour and the new cast coming sometime tomorrow. I may also post up some pictures of the helmet soon.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Mmmmm... Im going to have to watch this thread... Casting and molding is something that I know nothing about. It'll be nice to follow you on this thread and see how its done from begining to end.

Cheers! :)

Thanks Project003.

However, I am still skeptical about certain details and the overall symmetry of the shoulder, but it seems to please the members here, so I will live with its imperfections for the time being.

bottom line is, when you create something 100% on your own, you are the only person that sees the imperfections with it, and you will never be 100% satisfied. i think the pulls look great, and im still excited to see some more.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks, I don't have the funds to order plastics so I'll probably be going this route when molding/casting.
Those are looking really nice!

Anthony

Hey everyone,

I had initially hoped to update a while ago, but I got caught up in my work and have finally managed to stop long enough to type up this update and take a few pictures of my progress.

After doing concept after concept and prototype after prototype of the neck guard, I finally have achieved the special operative look and flexibility/maneuverability I wanted.

Here is a comparison shot between the first prototype (Back) and the final product (Front) of the neck guard.

DSC_0108.jpg

The neck guard was made from EVA foam and covered in an OD fabric with some 1” Nylon straps and buckles to attach the chest/back/shoulder armour to. Everything was sewed by hand. I am somewhat happy with the overall look, however I am skeptical of my stitching skills.

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

I have also started the stomach pad. It has been made the same way as the neck guard, EVA foam covered in OD fabric and hand stitched. I will be sculpting, molding and casting an armored upper portion for the stomach, aswell as adding some black foam backing, and creating a form of a MOLLE system to hold ammunition pouches when I get around to making them.

DSC_0100.jpg

I have re-started the helmet sculpt. The original helmet was beginning to crack because the clay was drying out for two months, so I thought a fresh start was in order. I have the clay applied to the styrofoam manikin head and have started to rough out the basic shapes.

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

As promised, I have pulled another cast of the shoulder. I ran into a lot of problems, and ended up going through four casts before finally getting a hold of the gelcoat/resin/fiberglass casting technique. The main problem was air bubbles trapped in between the gelcoat layer and fiberglass causing the gelcoat layer to crack revealing holes. I fixed the problem by switching the fiberglass matt I was using to fiberglass cloth, and being more cautious when rolling the air bubbles out.

As you can see in this picture, I used too little gelcoat once again. The light from the flash of the camera went through the gelcoat and fiberglass/resin so you can see my floor underneath.

DSC_0103.jpg

I did a quick mockup of the neck guard, shoulder and tan/black shemagh scarf to see how things were coming along. Everything looks great so far.

DSC_0104.jpg

I have also picked up some fingerless gloves from Wal-mart that I believe will add to the overall look of my UNSC-SOCOM Trooper quite nicely. I will have to paint the yellow “EVERLAST” emblem black, but these gloves will work fine none the less.

DSC_0101.jpg

I have some British issue Desert variant DPM BDU’s on the way aswell. I should be receiving those in the mail soon.

Anyway, that’s it for this update. Tell me what you think!

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Nice work so far.
Yea my sewing skills are so rusty that I'll have to learn as I go.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

No pictures at the moment, but I have started to sculpt the armored parts of the stomach plate. I have also started the underarmour for the shoulders.

Pictures coming soon.

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

P.S- Any and all constructive criticism is VERY welcome. Don't be afraid to point out any flaws/improvements I could do to my work.

Well you could just get the in game models ad have it them molded and forged in the fires of Mordor liek The One Ring. That my opion. If you can not do that then there might not be any room for improvement.

Well you could just get the in game models ad have it them molded and forged in the fires of Mordor liek The One Ring. That my opion. If you can not do that then there might not be any room for improvement.
??????? Huh??????
WOW! this looks insane!. I like the neck piece. I think your first one looks cooler, but I can see how it might restrict your movement. That sketch of your helmet looks nice too. It somewhat reminds me of the Halo Wars guy helmet. I love the whole SOCOM idea, nice work, like you always do.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the comments once again.

I’ve finally finished the neck guard to my liking. It has been weathered accordingly, and its overall turnout is quite pleasing.

DSC_0109.jpg

I took a sharpie to the neck guard and wrote “SOCOM” on the back. I thought this would help identify the unit a little better apart from other troops. I drew it on by hand because this is UNSC standard issue gear, but modified by the soldiers to meet their needs. I also decided to apply water to the surface of the fabric to smudge the “S” and part of the “O” to create a more down-to-earth look. I also think the smudging makes the neck guard look more human, aswell as more of a rush job compared to a long, artistic process.

DSC_0110.jpg

Aside from the missing combat knife, it looks quite nice.

I also took some 180 grit sand paper to the fabric to create a “fading” effect aswell as a warn effect as if the trooper had been crawling around and running through rugged, wooded areas.

DSC_0111.jpg

To add to this update, I have decided to release the “official” concept for the stomach plate. I decided to create a stomach plate that could carry a lot of ammunition pouches and other accessories, so I included a MOLLE system. The stomach plate is in three parts to insure good flexibility, aswell as comfort and good ventilation. An added plus is I can carry more ammunition.

SOCOMStomachPlate-Concept1.jpg

Anyway, that’s it for this update.

Tell me what you think, and be sure to constructively criticize if need be.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

My favorite thing about your updates is that you seem be very methodical and systematic about how you go about building a piece and choosing what to work on. I like your system of going about building your armor.

wow! that was all sewn by hand??? i thought it was a machine until i read your posts.
everything is looking fantastic!

Thanks for the comments once again everyone.

I’ve started to go full blast on the helmet, and I plan to begin molding by this Thursday. The basic sculpt is nearly complete, therefore symmetry will no longer pose a problem.

I took a few quick snap shots while I stopped to grab a coffee.

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

The design of the helmet is based heavily off of my original concept. However, some changes were made/will have to be made to insure the molding process is not too hard to do, aswell as insure the finished helmet, once painted, weathered and padded, is absolutely stunning.

MarineHelmetConcept2.jpg

The top of the helmet is a little out of proportion with the rest, so I plan to add 1-2cm to the height. The current dimensions are as follows.

Height- 24cm (Soon to be 25-26cm)
Width- 26cm
Depth- 33.5cm

I’ve checked many times to insure the dimensions will permit me to have room for padding, the casting materials and any shrinking that may occur from molding.

My target finish date for the helmet (Aside from the strike shield and goggles) will be July 27, if not earlier. The helmet is the most complex part, so the rest of the armour should come together quite quickly after its completion.

I’ll be updating again within the next few days.

Tell me what you think.

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back