Vacuum Form + Fiberglass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenMartian

Hi everyone,

I've been preparing for my first build and after doing some research I think I will be using vacuum form to create a set of armor (mainly because I will be making two sets for my friend and I). I realize that plastic is supposed to be weaker than if you were to pep and resin a piece. I was wondering if it was possible to resin and apply fiberglass mats to a piece of formed plastic or will the resin react with the plastic?

On a side note, I seem to be having an issue with the forum where if anyone posts a link or an image, i will get the all the HTML tags associated with it. Anyone know what I can do to fix this issue? Makes it a bit hard to read posts :\

Thanks!

If I recall right Sean Bradley's vac-formed ODST armor is strengthened that way. He uses high-impact polystyrene. Go ahead, give it a shot.

I do believe the technique that Sean suggest is the same thing as rondo-ing pepakura. You just do it inside the plastic. You will have to sand the inside of the plastic so the rondo has something to stick to.

the only problem could come from the heat during the fiberglass reaction softening and messing up the vac-formed plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back