Vaseline as mold release?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocknrollcows

Jr Member
so....

i was trying to make a plaster mold, but didnt know what i can use as a mold release. so i was searching for stuff around my house and found vaseline.

is it possible to use vaseline as a mold release? and if so, how much do i have to use?
 

crazybunny

Jr Member
Yes that can be used. I dont know how much, but im guessing alot seeing how you dont want the plaster th bond with the model
 

Adam

Community Founder
don't do it. It's petrolium jelly and has bad results when mixed with silicon stuff...


edit: oh plaster, yeah that's ok.
 

Rocknrollcows

Jr Member
Adam said:
don't do it. It's petrolium jelly and has bad results when mixed with silicon stuff...
edit: oh plaster, yeah that's ok.
im not useing silicon

im using Plaster as in Plaster of paris to make a mold then a cast then sculpting/detailing it.


EDIT:

ok...
um, does anyone know about how much(layer) i would need?

im planning to do it in sections like MLC
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Halo 1

Active Member
Rocknrollcows said:
im not useing silicon

im using Plaster as in Plaster of paris to make a mold then a cast then sculpting/detailing it.
EDIT:

ok...
um, does anyone know about how much(layer) i would need?

im planning to do it in sections like MLC
If you want to play it safe, i'd suggest 2 layers, the second layer is just in case you missed any spots during the first layer. Don't worry about using too much, it can be cleaned off and it won't hurt the plaster or the resin/fiberglass i'm assuming you'll be using to make the master out of.

Good luck!

Stay safe,

Tim.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Rocknrollcows

Jr Member
Halo_1 said:
If you want to play it safe, i'd suggest 2 layers, the second layer is just in case you missed any spots during the first layer. Don't worry about using too much, it can be cleaned off and it won't hurt the plaster or the resin/fiberglass i'm assuming you'll be using to make the master out of.

Good luck!

Stay safe,

Tim.
yea.

im making the first mold n' cast in plaster then applying detail

then later making the master from fiberglass

or just stick with the original casts and make Vacuforms instead.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top