Visor Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shomago0

Alright so i pepped a mark 6 helmet, and now i have come to an interesting problem. At what stage should the visor be inserted and how?

Do all the resining and body filler first. paint it and then cut the visor out with a Dremel. A gold motorcycle visor should be good

as the kind cobra said. basically the visor is going to be the last thing you install in your helmet (unless you want to add lights and whatnot... the holes for those should be drilled/prepped after the bondo body filler stage and before the paint stage). but if you are just doing the visor, it will be the last thing you install/do to your helmet. there are a couple different ways you can install the visor... do some digging around the site and you will find them, but i think the most common method is to use high temp. hot glue, and just run a bead all around the outside edges of the visor and press them against the inside of the helmet to glue the visor in place.

hope that helped clear things up :)

O.T.

Outlaw-Tiger said:
as the kind cobra said. basically the visor is going to be the last thing you install in your helmet (unless you want to add lights and whatnot... the holes for those should be drilled/prepped after the bondo body filler stage and before the paint stage). but if you are just doing the visor, it will be the last thing you install/do to your helmet. there are a couple different ways you can install the visor... do some digging around the site and you will find them, but i think the most common method is to use high temp. hot glue, and just run a bead all around the outside edges of the visor and press them against the inside of the helmet to glue the visor in place.

hope that helped clear things up :)

O.T.

Thats pretty much everything lol

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to consider fitting your visor to your helmet during your bondo stage. Get the helmet pretty well smoothed out, then figure out and cut your visor, then cover the visor with masking tape, insert it and temporarily secure it, then use bondo or putty to fill any gaps. Once the bondo or putty hardens, remove the visor and smooth the remainder of the helmet, and paint. This way, when you've gone through all the trouble of making the helmet look great with paint, you won't have ANY gaps when you install the visor.

carpathiavh99 said:
You may want to consider fitting your visor to your helmet during your bondo stage. Get the helmet pretty well smoothed out, then figure out and cut your visor, then cover the visor with masking tape, insert it and temporarily secure it, then use bondo or putty to fill any gaps. Once the bondo or putty hardens, remove the visor and smooth the remainder of the helmet, and paint. This way, when you've gone through all the trouble of making the helmet look great with paint, you won't have ANY gaps when you install the visor.

very good point carpathiavh99, i had completely forgotten about that little bit. though i'm a bit curious, wouldn't masking take mess with or ruin the gold tinting of the visor ?

Last edited by a moderator:
It shouldn't. Use a lower-tack tape if you're afraid of it lifting. Use some goo-gone if there's any residue.

If you use something like painter's tape, which is very low tack, you should be ok. If you're worried, before you cut up the visor, take a piece of tape and put it over a part of the visor you won't be using and see if it ruins the finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back