Visor help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rheiner

Hey 405th! I finally got myself on here, and I made my first set of Halo armor about a year ago (Mark VI, turned out good for a first go, I didn't know about Bondo though.)

Well anyways, I'm attempting a film project that has about 4 Spartans. I have a somewhat clear idea on what the visors will look like, most likely gold reflective or blue reflective. Is there any way how I can cheaply achieve this finish, without buying motorcycle visors? Thanks!

It's hard to beat a 7$ motorcycle visor.. You won't get cheaper than that unless you want it transparent unpainted plastic. You absolutely won't get it cheaper if you want it mirrored, that's really the only way to get one for under 1000$ (making your own iridium vaporizing booth/oven)

Metallic painting a plastic visor will run you around 220$, and won't give a mirrored look, and requires owning a decent airbrush (the 200$ of that cost, and then 20 for the paints and plastics). Here is the tutorial on doing that.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/16910-Tutorial-Make-amp-Paint-Your-Own-See-through-Visor

Cheapo fake metallic painting a plastic visor will cost like 40$ for spray paints and plastics and will look worse than metallic painting. You'd do the same as the above link, but with spray paints instead, which won't spray as thinly, and thus be harder to see through.

In the end, the motorcycle visor is the cheapest option, and also the absolutely most gorgeous of them. Redshirt's option works great if you want custom colors, or want to mold your own visor (I'm using his option for my vacuum formed visors), but paying 7.95$ for a ready to go mirrored visor is a great option:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Mo...d=1341423588&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+visor

Sweet! I think I'll go with the cheap visors, I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon anyways. The service is great there.

if you have any doubts, check out my build in my signature, I bought the one off amazon, and it's worked for me. :p

Visor Tips

Hey Rheiner! I have an idea for your visor!

What you could do is grab a plastic folder (the ones that zip might be best) and cut out the shape of the visor. Then just stick it into the inside of the helmet, or if you can, slot it in to the visor slot. I used a blue folder on my custom MKV (thanks for the comment by the way) so it had a blue tint affect. Only problem was it was hard to see in dark places, but it worked (I got 78 high-fives at the London Excel Comicon :D)

Good luck with your visor dude! PS what's bondo?

Do you know the brand name? I tried looking at the store and couldn't find any.

And I hope you're kidding about the bondo! hahaha If you're not I left a message on your profile :D

Any brand will do. I think a got about 10 for about £4 on Amazon for my school books, but I used one of the spare ones. If you still can't find any, you should try the ones that click together with the button things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back