Biceps - Progress Pics
Currently debating with myself if the best place to continue talking about the Jackal Shield would be in my build thread here or if I should start a new thread over in the Halo Props section...
There are definitely a few questions I'm having about it that maybe the community could answer, I just don't know if it would be more likely to be seen here or over there. Anyways....
Thanks for the encouragement all!
Biceps - Progress Pics
So first off, as usual, I kind of started with just a test piece, and like the very first forearm I made, it didn't turn out too great...
I rushed it a bit and didn't change blades as often as I should and I didn't put a whole lot of effort into trying to prevent glue from seeping out of the edges.
The important thing, was to see how everything was going to fit together.
It was pretty bad... one piece in particular ended up being about 2 inches short (the piece that wraps around the bottom). And all the pieces on the outer side of the bicep that form the main details that make the model stand out didn't fit together well either. The seams were pretty obvious and there were several untastefull gaps.
All of that was definitely a good learning experience though. I find that sometimes it's more important to just jump in and do things first to see how they end up, good or bad, and then see how you can improve on it. Yeah, it wastes some foam, glue, and blades, but that's not too big of a deal. A useful learning experience definitely outweighs the cost of those things.
So with that said, I've started working on Bicep v2, which you can see in the pictures below.
I'm currently only about 4 pieces out from finishing them minus adding detailing parts. Having a bit of trouble trying to plan out the bottom-front of the bicep, but it'll get done soon, I prefer taking things slow and getting them right. My aim for this is to be minimally 85% game accurate and the model I'm using, which is the best model I have access to, is only about 50% accurate I'd say. It's missing a lot of details here and there.
I would say that the method I'm using for these would be called something kind've like: Scratch-Built from Stencil-Derived-Templates.
I'm taking the paper cutouts I originally made for the first version of the biceps, and I'm using them to create slightly altered templates that are based on them.
I'm also using the foam pieces that I make as I go as modifiers to those templates so that things will line up with one-another more perfectly.
In other words, a line on the paper that I've transfered over might not have the exact same curve that the foam piece ended up having when I made it and shaved it down, so I'll use the piece I just made to make adjustments to the paper stencils so that the next piece that is supposed to meet up with the current foam piece will be more flush.
Please refer to the attachments below if you would like to see the images in full resolution.
Please refrain from including images in your quotes when responding to this thread.