Warhammer 40k apothecary Terminator build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know anything about warhammer, but this is an incredible, well crafted suit! I can appreciate the attention to detail here and I’m excited to see what else you can make. - Rick
Thanx, I appreciate the comment and the interest. This may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it might give you ideas on how to do something for your build or spark you in another direction.

Got some base plate progress to share. The inside details are almost finished and getting ready to paint. The whole enchilada will get the interior painted before I close it up. Here's where it stands atm
IMG_20200809_183345782.jpgIMG_20200809_183359383.jpgIMG_20200809_183406766.jpg
With the top deck on you can see how busy it's going to get underneath
IMG_20200809_183600700.jpgIMG_20200809_183528730.jpgIMG_20200809_183540017.jpgIMG_20200809_183534060.jpg
Some of the noodley details and their surrounding area had to get painted before I installed them. Like this 1
IMG_20200809_191243835.jpg
The whole thing inside will get flat blacked and dry brushed with various metallics (gold, silver, copper, gunmetal). Still working on the side cladding atm. I have some FRP sheeting left over from a house project that I think will work for the side of the base. It's the white crinkle finish plastic that you put behind the laundry sink. Seems to bend in a curve pretty easy. Stay tuned for more and thanx for looking...

Base plate progress report for today. The sides are clad shut and this is ready for paint
IMG_20200811_201341957.jpg
IMG_20200811_201351932.jpg

The frp sheet cuts and bends like a dream. I made a template with some paper of 1 of the sections and cut it a little wider and longer than I needed. Being a section of a cone makes it kinda wonky to cut out exact. Once I cut the straight joints, I clamped it up and drilled the holes for the screws. I left all the panels screwed down and trimmed it all at once. Makes for a nice fit like I planned it like that,lol. Still dabateing about the color of the edge. Black like a table top game figure or match it to the metallic gray of the decking. Still a ways off yet but lots of interior to paint and lighting to do. Stay tuned and thanx for looking

This is psychotic!!! Its an amazing build....and I'm floored by just the display stand.....
Thanx for the comment. I figured with the amount of time and effort I put into this build, it needed a display base of equal measure. Somehow displaying him on the carpet just doesn't do him justice. This way, he's in his element. Originally I had planned on making some sections of wall to enclose him in. It would have been a full size vignette complete with piping and bulkheads, etc. But after looking at the room, it had too many windows to deal with. So I settled on a round base.

Last edited:
Lights and sounds? That would be cool.
Lights, definitely. Sounds, ehh. Unfortunately I don't know anything about Arduino programming to make that happen. I think it would be kick-ass to have the background noise from the game eminate out of speakers inside the base. I'm still pondering the lights for the inside. Could be RGB style and have them slow color change or constant on. But that will give everything a monotone tint, so I don't know at this 2 minutes. We'll see

Wow.....free-hand? No stencil or template?
Yeah I free-handed the drawing on paper then transferred it old school by scribbling on the back with a pencil to put the template on the wood. The whole outline was free handed with a Dremel and a ball nose bit. The fibers in the Luan don't carve exactly straight, that's why some of the line weights are thick here and there. Tried to get it back with paint but the fibers say no

Last edited:
Got some sideways progress to report on. I thought about putting some mini spot lights on the outside cladding pointing up to light Lucien from the bottom. Easy enough, right? Umm, wrong! This turned into a discussion with my buddy at work, and lighted cathedral arches with flying buttresses and stained glass windows, statues with hanging lanterns and oh my what have I gotten myself into!
IMG_20200822_192719025.jpg

At the moment all the wood arches and bottom plates are made. The will get sandwiched in underneath the 8 main stanchions in a stop sign shape. The little handmade lights have an LED bulb robbed out of a string of x-mas lights
IMG_20200822_192803374.jpgIMG_20200822_192809066.jpg
The statue and the arched window is from yeggi.com
IMG_20200822_193005722.jpgIMG_20200822_193024589.jpg
They take 11hrs and 4hrs respectively to print. Each main arch will have a backlit statue with an orange glow. The statue will get flat blacked and antiqued gold. The window arches will get a stained glass panel backlit with warm white lights. I found a kickass, easy tutorial using acetate and colored sharpie markers for the panels. I have mini spot lights that will get mounted to the backside of the main arch, like what I originally thought
IMG_20200817_201113531.jpg
All the arches will get covered with curved roofing made of heavy poster board to clean everything up. If you haven't noticed, I get distracted quite easily, haha (damn squirrels). Stay tuned for more...

Attachments

• IMG_20200822_192706798.jpg
    IMG_20200822_192706798.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 277
Speaking of distractions, here's a small 1
IMG_20200824_195930043.jpg

I figured there had to be some kind of banner adorning the walls behind the statue, it was too plain to be flat black or stone. Used a bamboo skewer for the cross bar
IMG_20200824_195523765.jpg

And
IMG_20200824_195558096.jpgIMG_20200824_195550443.jpg
Most of it's blocked by the statue, but somebody will notice and get down on their hands and knees to see "what the hell is behind there?" I have 5 or 6 different ones so I'll put the doubles to the back side. I printed this out and glued it to poster board. Due to inferior paper, I went over it with markers and colored pencils. Turned out much better than I expected. Stay safe and stay tuned for more...

I can't believe the detail in this. It is simply amazing and can't wait to see the final display

I can't believe the detail in this. It is simply amazing and can't wait to see the final display
Thanx, I appreciate it. Sometimes I tend to go overboard on the little stuff. But it's just a blast to cram tons of detail into stuff that may not get seen by most people. But like I said, there's always 1 in the crowd. Here's a couple more banners done today. These are kinda cartoony looking, but that's what they look like on the miniatures
IMG_20200825_185430361.jpg
IMG_20200825_200856412.jpg

A few more of these to finish and then back to building. Thanx for looking and stay tuned for more...

I have never played war hammer 40k, so I don’t know what your building. but your build looks great so far and I can’t wait to see more progress. Keep up the good work.
Thanx for the comment. 40k is from the late '80s, started out as table top minis like D+D but in space. It's grown to a dozen different online video games, tons of minis with different races, demons, chaos, you name it. The suit of armor that I made is from the original start called "Spacehulk". It's also a 4 person online vid. game with incredible graphics. This base plate I'm attempting , is to make it just like a miniature that you play with on the table top version but full scale. Hope that helps

Last edited:
Thanx, 40k is set way

Thanx for the comment. 40k is from the late '80s, started out as table top minis like D+D but in space. It's grown to a dozen different online video games, tons of minis with different races, demons, chaos, you name it. The suit of armor that I made is from the original start called "Spacehulk". It's also a 4 person online vid. game with incredible graphics. Hope that helps
Thanks for explaining! it definitely helped and now I understand more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back