Weta Marine Scratch Build Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
um whats that word im looking for..........oh yeh AWSOME. Dude that is some of the best cardboard armour I have ever seen, i like the idea of laying the ceral box card on top, gives you a better base to add the rondo. Look forward for the next update.

welsh

Thanks for the comments everybody!

I didn't get NEARLY as much as I had hoped done today. The weather went to hell (well, the exact OPPOSITE of hell temperature wise) so rondo work was just a stupid thing to do today. I did nothing except apply a tiney bit more rondo onto the chest plate.

I also forgot I had to work today, so no indoor capable work was done today aswell. However, the good news is today was a slow day at my place of employment, and I was lucky to convince the stors manager/owner into purchasing some smooth-on products. With my discount at the store, I believe thats a win for me :D .

Today was not a total loss though. I was able to figure out how I will be doing the whole costume. Here is my basic plan so far:

Chest Armour- Cardboard-Scratch Build

Back Armour- Cardboard-Scratch Build

Neck Guard- EVA Foam-> OD Fabric-Scratch Build

Shoulder Plate- Cardboard-Scratch Build

Bicep Plate- Clay-> Sculpt-> Mold-> Cast x2

Elbow Guard- Cardboard-Scratch Build-> Mold-> Cast x2

Forearm- Cardboard-Scratch Build-> Mold-> Cast x2

Stomach Plate- EVA Foam-> OD Fabric- Scratch Build

Thigh Pads- EVA Foam- Scratch Build

Knee/Shin Plates- Scratch Build- Cardboard-> Mold-> Cast x2

Shin Guard- EVA Foam-> OD Fabric

Helmet- Clay-> Sculpt-> Mold-> Cast

Well, thats the plan. I should have this whole project finished by May 3rd if I use my time properly.

By this Friday the neck guard and chest plate will be finished completely, and I will begin work on the back plate.

Wish me luck!

That looks GREAT! your'e really good with cardboard, pepakura would probably only hinder you... how do you get such crisp cuts with a razor knife? is there a technique, or are you just using a thin blade?

That would be because back when I created this topic, I was a noob and could only post new topics in the noob forum.

If a mod could please move this into the pepakura and cardboard armour forum, that would be awesome!

Hey everybody,

Sadly, I have no updated on the chest plate, but I did manage to start the helmet.

Its not going to be Weta accurate because I simply do not like the look of the Weta version Marine helmet, so it will be a custom helmet mix between a few Halo 3 Concept helmets, the Halo 3 helmet, and the Halo Wars marine helmet. So far, this is what I have sculpted:

DSCN1773.jpg

DSCN1774.jpg

DSCN1776.jpg

DSCN1777.jpg

(Still need to sculpt the details on the other side)

DSCN1778.jpg

Although there are three colours of clay In the sculpt, the overall finished mold and cast shouldn’t be any worse. Sadly, I ran out of clay (Didn’t expect 13 lbs of clay to go so quickly-LOL) so I’m going to have to pick up another 5 lbs of it on the weekend.

I plan to sculpt the helmet, then mold and cast it. When its molded, I will sculpt the added on “shield” and mold the shield part. I’m doing this so I can customize the helmet as much as possible. Like I said in my first post, I intend to be able to add scrim netting, helmet cover(s), goggles and many other things that today’s modern military uses.

I do plan to do a run of this helmet, so be sure to keep an eye on the classifieds section around mid March.

Tell me what you think!

This is all very impressive, and the cardboard rondo idea seems to have paid off. Ill have to try that on my cardboard War Machine suit im slowly building.

what clay (s) are you using? Looks good, but still needs work around the back and visor. keep going.

I'm using a mixture of colours of Van Aken clay. I highly recommend anybody who wishes to start sculpting to use Van Aken clay. Out of the many clays I have used, this is by far, in my opinion, the best and easiest to you.

I will be updating tomorrow with some mroe of the helmet sculpted, and possibly the chest plate sanded and rondoed a bit more.

Again, I do plan to do a run of the helmet, so keep an eye on the classifieds section around mid March.

Cheers!

Hey everybody,

It looks like my previous update was lost when the 405th was backed up, so I’ll re-post my progress.

I have gotten the main chest plate 85% rondo-ed, and have begun the bonding process.

DSCN1780.jpg

DSCN1781.jpg

As you can see, the sizing for the chest plate was spot-on.

DSCN1786.jpg

I also quickly crafted some detail pieces that will go around the strapping holes to make the chest plate look more uniform.

DSCN1787.jpg

DSCN1788.jpg

I also picked up some more clay, so I can continue sculpting the marine helmet.

DSCN1789.jpg

I should have the marine helmet in the mold by the end of March, so keep an eye on the classified section if you want a pull.

I will update later today with the nearly finished neck guard, and ready to be primed chest plate. I may also be able to start the shoulder today.

Tell me what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back