Props Weta Odst Hand Scanner Thingy! Updated 16/09/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill let you know when its done, the constant fiberglassing etc keeps making the inside smaller!!

As for the build, I did lots today. The dremel tool i posted a video about in the video section has really sped up work considerably.

I finished fiberglassing this morning and let it dry while I purchased the dremel, and then trimmed it up, and decided to add a little more fiberglass. Then I trimmed it up again so a good standard seen below:

IMGP0705.jpg

I then used the dremel to clean out the drips of resin that hardened in the details areas where sand paper could not reach, and then I sanded the whole thing down ready for filler:

IMGP0707.jpg

You can see how it looks much lighter when sanded:

IMGP0709.jpg

IMGP0710.jpg

Please note that I have not used primer so it wont look the same as most builds, ill probably use some on the last coat or so to get it perfect though.

I then began adding the filler ( first time ive created anything but I managed to mix it just fine)

IMGP0711.jpg

IMGP0713.jpg

Action shot!!

IMGP0713.jpg

In the last two photos you'll see it in its current state. It is actually dry, but it looks darker when its not
IMGP0714.jpg

IMGP0715.jpg

Anyways, ill be working hard again tomorrow, and will probably have this section done, and possibly have made a good start on the bolt down lid section im about to create. I work well when i work fast though as it keeps my ideas flowing right onto the design board!

IMGP0713.jpg

man this really turning out great. I really really really can't wait to see it finished. Seriously your a god

Thanks Bondo,

Talking of bondo, the filler is proving very annoying to get the angles sanded out level, and correct! Ah well, here is come progress from today, however I have had to stop as my filters on the mask are clogged up and my throats hurting!

I have been advised that everything that is to be painted should be covered in filler, how do the other pros of this forum feel about that?

Anyways, some photos:

I know it might not look quite as cool as it did before, but the filler seems to make everything blend in, when its painted the detail should show up nicely!

IMGP0717.jpg

IMGP0716.jpg

IMGP0717.jpg

IMGP0718.jpg

IMGP0721.jpg

Also, I felt like I should introduce you all to what I am using for the grip! I only have one good closeup of the WETA hand scanner, and luckily I was able to work out the grip from that photo.

here is the WETA version, and below, mine next to the grip:

scannercloseup.jpg

IMGP0723.jpg

Anyways, hope you like it, and if you have any tips regarding the filler stage, please do not hesitate to post in this thread!

IMGP0717.jpg

Well, ive been working on the lid of this: bit of a shoop@

Ps.jpg

I also got some primer, and its damn helpful!

IMGP0738.jpg

I also did some designs on a display, im trying to find a suitable 6.5" widescreen ish, any ideas?

Thanks Lee! Means allot coming from you !

Anyways, A few more photos:

Hitting it with some primer!

IMGP0744.jpg

IMGP0741.jpg

IMGP0740.jpg

IMGP0745.jpg

And an update on the lid!

IMGP0749.jpg

so amazing! can't to see whats next in store. If you're planning to do some kind of LCD interface I can offer photoshop services

For the screen can I suggest a digital picture frame? They're anywhere from like $50-200 and in a lot of sizes and you could set up a slide show: maybe make it look like it's confirming a scan or something. Cool build.

Beautifull Work!!!

PERFECT!

I would also install a digital Picture-Frame, just in Case you dont find a portable TV Screen with that Size und DVB-T^^

Robby said:
For the screen can I suggest a digital picture frame? They're anywhere from like $50-200 and in a lot of sizes and you could set up a slide show: maybe make it look like it's confirming a scan or something. Cool build.

wow that is a great idea.I never would have thought of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
im still really really interested in this project. if you need anything to help speed it along let me know. also, got any inner dimensions for me?

Hey that scanner looks superb. I was planning to make one as well. It's cool how you drew out the pep layout. Good luck on finding that digital picture frame ...

i just purchased an archos 605 from a friend and thought it would look perfect

Hey, the Archos 605 is really cool! I wanted to get one when my nano broke, but my mom replaced it at Sams Club for free, so I guess not.

Anyway, a black archos would certainly do the trick. As long as you found a way to switch it out whenever you need to. Then you could photoshop a cool .gif sequence, run it as a repeated .avi on the Archos and have life a scanner-programmy-lookin thing on the screen. I can do that for you if you want, just for fun. The sketch of the display looks pretty legit.

PS - Where did you say you got that grip at?

Thanks, im actually fitting the handle to it completely today!

EDIT:

handscanenr.jpg

Update FTW!!!!!! I fitted the handle today :D

Sorry about being slow with this, I have been concentrating on my other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back