What are the best military sci-fi novels in your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, "Tom Clancy" (Dave Michaels) wrote Splinter Cell, which is Military, and it includes fictional technologies, based in real science, but not in the real world, which means you could argue that Splinter Cell is a MilSci novel series... /rolleyes :p

But Clancy didn't write any Splinter Cell novels :)

Ubisoft created that series using the Tom Clancy license they own, and later on different authors wrote several novels for the franchise under the name "Dave Michaels".

I personally like John Ringo. He's got several books out that are futuristic military/war based. and few that come to mind are Dust Front, Hymn Before Battle, and When the Devil Dances. My personal favorites of his arent really sci-fi but they are still milsim. It's the Paladin of Shadows series which follows an ex-seal through a surprise mission and the rewards of a job well done. Starting with the book Ghost and continuing on to Kildar, Chooser of the Slain (all of which i have read), then Unto the Breach, and Deeper Blue, which i cant seem to find.

I can recommend the series: The Council Wars, The Paladin of Shadows. and the Polseen Wars for sure, I think most of the book in those series will fit your requirements. However, a quick note on the Council Wars series. Those books are set in the future when a civil war between the ruling council on Earth causes a major loss of use of technology. Resulting in type up futuristic med evil combat type scenario. Still, awesome books to read.

Also, this is the wiki page for John Ringo if ya wanna check it out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ringo

But Clancy didn't write any Splinter Cell novels :)

Ubisoft created that series using the Tom Clancy license they own, and later on different authors wrote several novels for the franchise under the name "Dave Michaels".
I'll give you that, but David Michaels is a real man, apparently. The latest Dave Michaels is really named David Michaels, according to some cursory research.

In any case, Tom Clancy is described as being "...best known for his technically detailed espionage, military science and techno thriller storylines set during and in the aftermath of the Cold War..."

MILSCI xD

Two of the best I have seen mentioned, in my opinion, are David Drake's Hammer's Slammers series, and John Ringo's Posleen Series. Drake is dirtier and more in your face with the hardcore reality of combat set in the future, and does a damned good job detailing the human cost to both the winner and loser. Ringo is top notch story telling. I have yet to find anything by him that I didn't like, and I have most of his books. And if you want good action mixed with cutting edge quantum state theory written so any schmoe (me) can understand it, get the books the Ringo did with Travis S. Taylor. Taylor does a good action set, as well. His best is titled Warp Speed, though I pick that arbitrarily (they're all good).

Another outstanding writer is David Weber. He's best known for his Honor Harrington series, which is centered around grand space navy strategy, and the main character's (Harrington) life. He has some great freakin' short series and stand alone stories, as well. In my opinion, he has outdone himself with the latest series of books titled, Off Armagedon Reef, By Heresies Distressed, and By Schism Rent Asunder. There's a fourth out in Hardback, but I'm waiting for paperback.

I can't believe I forgot about David Weber. I agree, the books on Harrington are great. Definitely worth the read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back