What can I use to add some mass to hollow 3D printed armor shells? I'm hoping to add a bit of volume to parts that make sense.

RamenN00dl3

Expanding foam? EVA? Trying to keep it moldable while still relatively light-weight. I plan on adding padding in the parts that make sense like in the helmet, but that's more for comfort than anything. Adding volume to the shoulders, back, etc. would be more for a bit off mass so the suit doesn't feel hollow while also adding some level of extra rigidity. I appreciate any help!

2023-04-01 13.15.19.jpg
2023-04-01 13.15.46.jpg

If you have the space with proper ventilation to do it, buy some fiberglass sheets and resin. If not you could also try coating the pieces in UV printer resin and curing them with a portable uv light. Hope this helps !

If you have the space with proper ventilation to do it, buy some fiberglass sheets and resin. If not you could also try coating the pieces in UV printer resin and curing them with a portable uv light. Hope this helps !
I appreciate the idea, however I'm really trying more to fill the space so the pieces aren't quite so hollow. I had considered sloshing a little resin in there to just help strengthen the pieces a bit, but thay won't fill the hollow spaces really. I had a user on another forum suggest paper clay, so I may look in to that.

First of all, don't underestimate a light suit! Heavy ones might feel more realistic, but can seriously hinder your energy, comfort and mobility. I'd suggest only proceeding with adding weight once you've weighed everything and, if possible, tried it on.

But if you did want to fill up space, expanding foam isn't a bad idea. Lightweight, and a good space filler. Just make sure to wear gloves, an apron and have a large, clear working space with newspaper/tarp underneath, because it can be very messy and can take weeks just to remove it from skin.

I appreciate the idea, however I'm really trying more to fill the space so the pieces aren't quite so hollow. I had considered sloshing a little resin in there to just help strengthen the pieces a bit, but thay won't fill the hollow spaces really. I had a user on another forum suggest paper clay, so I may look in to that.
Oh okay I definitely misunderstood lol! Yes that's an interesting idea, never thought of that ! Let us know how it works out if you go that route

As PlanetAlexander mentioned, light suits are a good way to go. Some 3d printed suits can be really heavy on their own (even when shelled out like yours) due to the infill or wall thickness used. In addition to tiring easy, heavier armor could cause more issues with strapping, as the straps would need to support more weight.

If you're going for a more flush fit against your body though, EVA foam is a good method. It can be glued and stacked in easily. For the areas where I did that on my armor, I placed the foam and test fit it with friction before gluing. I also used some of this softer, spongeier foam, which helped soften the weight of the armor while filing in the shells. 6 Pack Egg Crate Foam Charcoal 1 Inch x 12" W x12" L Acoustic Foam Panels Recording Studio Foam https://a.co/d/4q9TrP8

As PlanetAlexander mentioned, light suits are a good way to go. Some 3d printed suits can be really heavy on their own (even when shelled out like yours) due to the infill or wall thickness used. In addition to tiring easy, heavier armor could cause more issues with strapping, as the straps would need to support more weight.

If you're going for a more flush fit against your body though, EVA foam is a good method. It can be glued and stacked in easily. For the areas where I did that on my armor, I placed the foam and test fit it with friction before gluing. I also used some of this softer, spongeier foam, which helped soften the weight of the armor while filing in the shells. 6 Pack Egg Crate Foam Charcoal 1 Inch x 12" W x12" L Acoustic Foam Panels Recording Studio Foam https://a.co/d/4q9TrP8
I'm curious since you mention you friction fit, is there any part of your armor that is purely held in place with friction? I know there are all sorts of methods for holding armor where it should be, but I'm also looking at how to best hide and eliminate straps where I can to get a cleaner look. I think the undersuit and strapping is where I'm going to have to do the most thinking as I have yet to find a really solid tutorial. I've got some ideas, I just want to avoid having exposed straps around the midsection, specifically the ones I see lots of folks use to hold the thigh pieces up. I've looked at velcro, but I feel like that will have a lot of wear on the undersuit it's attached to, and I don't plan on making a full, custom sewn undersuit, so that would be tricky. Any tips on that?

I think I'm going to run some tests with expanding foam to fill in a few areas that I feel need it, then carve it down and lay a thin piece of EVA on top to a) 'seal' the crumbly foam and b) provide a comfortable inner lining. I think this will give me a decent interior while still allowing me to strap and adjust as needed. I agree a light suit is certainly better, but I don't expect the expanding foam to be heavy at all. When I do my tests I'll be sure to record the weight differences and see if there is any meaningful change.

I'm curious since you mention you friction fit, is there any part of your armor that is purely held in place with friction? I know there are all sorts of methods for holding armor where it should be, but I'm also looking at how to best hide and eliminate straps where I can to get a cleaner look. I think the undersuit and strapping is where I'm going to have to do the most thinking as I have yet to find a really solid tutorial. I've got some ideas, I just want to avoid having exposed straps around the midsection, specifically the ones I see lots of folks use to hold the thigh pieces up. I've looked at velcro, but I feel like that will have a lot of wear on the undersuit it's attached to, and I don't plan on making a full, custom sewn undersuit, so that would be tricky. Any tips on that?

I think I'm going to run some tests with expanding foam to fill in a few areas that I feel need it, then carve it down and lay a thin piece of EVA on top to a) 'seal' the crumbly foam and b) provide a comfortable inner lining. I think this will give me a decent interior while still allowing me to strap and adjust as needed. I agree a light suit is certainly better, but I don't expect the expanding foam to be heavy at all. When I do my tests I'll be sure to record the weight differences and see if there is any meaningful change.
My forearms are the only parts that are fully held in place by friction. I use friction in the biceps to prevent them from rotating but straps are used to hold them up. There is a tutorial here on the forums that involves hiding the straps in the undersuit, not sure if you've seen it yet. This is what I followed for my strapping system, except I skipped the hiding the straps part as I was in a rush for a con and was using a place holder undersuit.

My forearms are the only parts that are fully held in place by friction. I use friction in the biceps to prevent them from rotating but straps are used to hold them up. There is a tutorial here on the forums that involves hiding the straps in the undersuit, not sure if you've seen it yet. This is what I followed for my strapping system, except I skipped the hiding the straps part as I was in a rush for a con and was using a place holder undersuit.
I had not seen that specific walkthrough but I'll definitely look through it. At first glance it looks like the straps are still exposed in the way I was describing, but the suit was updated later to hide them? I'll have to see. That looks like a pretty custom undersuit which I wasn't really planning on but I'll have to see if my plan is compatible with the ideas there. Thanks for sharing!

As PlanetAlexander put it, a light suit is not to be underestimated! I only just wore my first set of armour which quite a few pieces hung from my waist, I was absolutely exhausted.

But if you do still want to add some mass to it expanding foam is a really solid way of doing it, just be very careful and cautious with it as it sticks to you and your clothes like nothing else, also do it in small goes as I've found out the hard way at my work how being over zealous can require more work than taking your time!

This thread is more than 12 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back