What's Your Printer?

Creality CR-10​

12'x 12'x 15" (300mmx 300mmx 400mm)... i was thinking of getting another one

For a printer that is only 300x300 I'd get an IDEX printer like the Hictop D3 Hero. Dual head means dual material, mirror mode or duplicate mode. There's a lot of added features with that. (I have four)

Otherwise, go big. 300 is a mid-size printer. Its not as small as an Ender3pro, but it sure ain't no CR10s-5 at 500mm^3.
At the 300mm range you still have to break up even a helmet. Frell that! I put a helmet on to print on Monday and take it off the printer on Friday in one piece. No seaming!
PrintCard_Helmet.jpg

Canisters_dryfit.jpg

At 500mm cubic I run entire chest pieces or tall leg pieces in one go and I'm not a small guy at 5'10, 210 pounds.

IMG_2236.JPG

LegCR10s5.jpg

For a printer that is only 300x300 I'd get an IDEX printer like the Hictop D3 Hero. Dual head means dual material, mirror mode or duplicate mode. There's a lot of added features with that. (I have four)

Otherwise, go big. 300 is a mid-size printer. Its not as small as an Ender3pro, but it sure ain't no CR10s-5 at 500mm^3.
At the 300mm range you still have to break up even a helmet. Frell that! I put a helmet on to print on Monday and take it off the printer on Friday in one piece. No seaming!
View attachment 317655

View attachment 317658

At 500mm cubic I run entire chest pieces or tall leg pieces in one go and I'm not a small guy at 5'10, 210 pounds.

View attachment 317656
ok alot on info here, thanks. i do have a couple questions...

1- how well dose a dule head work and can a dule head work on a single print like a solid helmet?

2- is 1 larger print bed better off than lets say 2 medium ones? i was thinking on getting 2 more CR-10's because they are cheap and a good size build space. but i was also thinking on getting a larger printer like the CR-10 s5 or a tevo

ok alot on info here, thanks. i do have a couple questions...

1- how well dose a dule head work and can a dule head work on a single print like a soild helment?

2- is 1 larger print bed better off than lets say 2 medium ones?

1. How well? Well... I bought 4 of them if that tells you anything. On a single item print there are two ways this can be advantageous.
    1. Supports in PLA while the model is in PETG. One is monomer, one is copolymer. So they don't stick well to each other. Making them great for support and model that aren't welded together and easy to pull apart.
    2. Dual color print. Two colors of the same material so you can have... the background in black and the details in silver. The plate in black and the rivets in silver. Whatever
  2. "Better" is a subjective term depending on your needs. Is a VW Beetle better than an 18-Wheeler? Yes if you need a daily driver to work. No if you are hauling 60 tons of cargo. In my examples above its far better for big prints. Its also nice if you are doing batches. I can lay out an entire set of Klingon vest trim in one job. Hit print and walk away until its done. With a smaller printer I'd have to do it as "batch-A" & "batch-B" for then entire thing. Helmet in one part. Chest in one part etc.
    1651431625576.png
    1. 2 medium printers means you can do simultaneous printing. That can help if your parts are small enough to fit on the bed. You can have multiple parts going at the same time: but they have to be smaller.

I seen this thread on Facebook and thought ide throw in my 2 cents.
I have a Creality Ender 3v2
Bed: Size 220x220mm
I have printed a helmet and chest with jetpack. Im still printing the rest of the armor but I have found that while a larger print bed would be great for single piece printing, you can achieve great results with a smaller printer and alot more elbow grease. I think it really comes down to how much work you want to have to do post print and cost. A larger printer runs about 2-3 times the cost of the smaller printer.
20220507_211611.jpg
20220507_145258.jpg

Managed to get my hands on an Ender 3, but it's still in pieces that need to be put together
If this is your first printer, ill let you know some of the issues i had with the ender 3 setting it up
-make sure the belts are tight enough or the motor can get stuck, not super tight but firm.
-you might have to play with some test runs in adjusting the limit switches to make sure that your needle is the correct height off the bed for the start of prints, i had a lot of issues with this one.
-you might have to re-level the bed after each print, i like to use brim on prints so i can make adjustment at the start of the print without risking damage to the actual print itself.
-if you set it to a custom temp for the filament you are using, it will reset to the recommended temp when it finishes heating up so you have to reset it to the temp you want and then it will be good for the rest of the print.
that's about it for now.

If this is your first printer, ill let you know some of the issues i had with the ender 3 setting it up
-make sure the belts are tight enough or the motor can get stuck, not super tight but firm.
-you might have to play with some test runs in adjusting the limit switches to make sure that your needle is the correct height off the bed for the start of prints, i had a lot of issues with this one.
-you might have to re-level the bed after each print, i like to use brim on prints so i can make adjustment at the start of the print without risking damage to the actual print itself.
-if you set it to a custom temp for the filament you are using, it will reset to the recommended temp when it finishes heating up so you have to reset it to the temp you want and then it will be good for the rest of the print.
that's about it for now.
Definitely things I am looking into and will be testing tonight. I misplaced all my filament I had so I have been waiting on an Amazon delivery so I can test and adjust as needed.

It's fairly exciting to finally get it all together.

Definitely things I am looking into and will be testing tonight. I misplaced all my filament I had so I have been waiting on an Amazon delivery so I can test and adjust as needed.

It's fairly exciting to finally get it all together.
Its good to struggle a bit in the beginning because it helps one to better understand the printer and trouble shoot future problems. Cant wait to see what you end up doing!

I have a ender 3 220x220x250mm
And anycubic chiron 400 x 400 x 450mm

Love them both!! I have printed halo reach armor, starwars armor and many figures. I live that I can print almost everything in one piece on my chiron. I use esun pla plus, works great for me.

1: Creality Cr-10
2: 300X300X400
3: all parts of my Mk7 suit. I mean all of it.
very reliable, well mostly. The heating thermistor in the bed has broken on me a few times. Don't overuse it if possible.
printer is somewhat cheap, pretty large printing bed. 8/10 from me.

Creality Ender 3
220 x 220 x 250 mm
Have printed helmets, blasters, and other smaller props and components. Great price, and mine worked very easily early on. Definitely requires more maintenance and attention now, but that makes it great for learning, and theres a lot of community resources to draw from. Just wish I had more volume to work with.

Currently is messed up because I had a really bad blobbing incident so I just got in a new connector (the port where the bowden tube goes into the hot end). Hopefully back up soon.

I have a Creality CR-10 V2, and would swear buy it. We call it "The Printer" since adding an article gives it kind of an importance of its own.

The bed size is 300mm×300mm×400mm and has let me print a TON of props and terrain with relative ease.

As for things I've printed on it, prop wise, I've got a reach Shotgun, Magnum, and DMR. Some Deathwatch blasters, and the darksaber hilt for props. Then I've also got a TON of 28mm terrain, ships, and props for tabletop games of all sorts, like 4 huge storage containers full of terrain.

I've had this guy for 2 years now, and aside from the occassional extruder/nozzle issue, and the fact the heated bed stopped working, they still prints like it did when I first got them. Just gotta keep a large backstock of purple glue sticks for the bed now, since a new one woukd be $200+, and at that rate, I might as well buy a new printer.

the heated bed stopped working, they still prints like it did when I first got them.
You could put an AC powered heat pad on it.
I have one on my 500x500 printer and they're awesome. Heats up so much faster and much more consistent heat distribution.

Well I have three printers.

Creality CR-10 smart, Snapmaker F350, and Anycubic Kobra Max.

I’m currently down the Kobra max. My motherboard had an issue and needed replaced. But it’s still and awesome printer. It’s got a 400x400 build plate which lets me print whole helmets at once and any other large pieces. Which comes in handy for speed and post processing.

My snapmaker is great at 350x350, because it is also a cnc and laser engraver. The best thing about it is I can do PETG with it. So I can make bucks for vacuum form molds.

But the printer I use the most is my CR-10 smart. I’ve modified it and upgraded it to be a direct drive and super smooth. 300x300 build plate and definitely my favorite one to use.

I currently have like three things going. Lol. Reach sniper and two sets of armor pieces.
2F6562E9-D9B1-44B5-9B22-80DA5AEF2B29.jpeg
734C78D9-36CB-408A-992D-52BAA6CCDB1A.jpeg

I seen this thread on Facebook and thought ide throw in my 2 cents.
I have a Creality Ender 3v2
Bed: Size 220x220mm
I have printed a helmet and chest with jetpack. Im still printing the rest of the armor but I have found that while a larger print bed would be great for single piece printing, you can achieve great results with a smaller printer and alot more elbow grease. I think it really comes down to how much work you want to have to do post print and cost. A larger printer runs about 2-3 times the cost of the smaller printer.View attachment 318064View attachment 318066
Dude, that jetpack is amazing! Big ask but I don't suppose you would mind sharing the .stl for that? Been putting one together myself as a shell for holding a sound system, found a pepakura model that looks great but am without a licence to export it to a useful CAD file. That would save me a good few hours of CAD!

Dude, that jetpack is amazing! Big ask but I don't suppose you would mind sharing the .stl for that? Been putting one together myself as a shell for holding a sound system, found a pepakura model that looks great but am without a licence to export it to a useful CAD file. That would save me a good few hours of CAD!
Thank you! Sounds cool, this one is a solid model, or well printed at 15% infill. Hopefully these files work for you. I have included the original file, which is not my design. and then the two remixed files which I did. Let m know if you need anything else. Good Luck, I look forward to seeing how yours comes out!

Original file;

Moded files;

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back