When All You Have Is A Hammer... 5/3 Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam said:
Cast the head in Flex-FoamiT 25 ... Pretty sure that's what weta's is made from (could be wrong)

I thought about that but there are too many extra "hard-cast" greeblies and attachment points that will need to be rigid. I'm also a sanding freak and need the ability to keep it clean. Once the mold is done it would be fun to try and create a "High Impact Friction Device"... :lol:

smick6 said:
Ya then we can smack each other with it.

See above...hehehe...

Overlord_Ian said:
how about you mold it in two pieces, and join them together, like Adam's assault rifle from his podcast.

Thanks but it's the "join them together" part that is a bit more challenging. The shape of the hammerhead is just a tiny bit different than the AR and may need a three piece mould. I don't want to sacrifice detail and am trying to minimize seam lines in detailed areas. I will be using that style of mould for the blade section though...

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
.............................dude that freakin ban hammer owns! so far its the best ive ever seen

All i have to say is that hammer is "dead sexy!" Great job so far. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

DogWizard said:
Thanks but it's the "join them together" part that is a bit more challenging. The shape of the hammerhead is just a tiny bit different than the AR and may need a three piece mold. I don't want to sacrifice detail and am trying to minimize seam lines in detailed areas. I will be using that style of mold for the blade section though...

Thanks Guys!

You could do a 2 part silicone mold and roto cast the hammerhead and then fill with expanding foam or the like. This is one prop I'd love to build myself someday, but a 1:1 scale version! Would also love to see the hammerhead cast in rubber too! Great job!

spartan 26 said:
.............................dude that freakin ban hammer owns! so far its the best ive ever seen

Gman said:
All i have to say is that hammer is "dead sexy!" Great job so far. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Thanks Guys - I appreciate the support!

tubachris85x said:
You could do a 2 part silicone mold and roto cast the hammerhead and then fill with expanding foam or the like. This is one prop I'd love to build myself someday, but a 1:1 scale version! Would also love to see the hammerhead cast in rubber too! Great job!

It's definately going to be a 2 part silicone mould with a combination of slush and roto-casting. I thought about going full size but I think that this one will be a bit easier to manage - it's still going to be big, just not 9 FT big... :lol:

Doom said:
Dibs.

Can anyone say Hammer Time?

-Doom

I think we may be able to work something out... :cool:

Darkslitter said:
What do you plan on casting this with because plastic might be too heavy.

It will be cast in Smooth-Cast 321 but like most helmets, it will be a shell - stiff and well-built but not solid. Don't get me wrong - this thing will have some weight to it. It is a Gravity Hammer after all... ;)

DogWizard said:
It's definately going to be a 2 part silicone mold with a combination of slush and roto-casting. I thought about going full size but I think that this one will be a bit easier to manage - it's still going to be big, just not 9 FT big... :lol:
I think we may be able to work something out... :cool:

Sounds awsome man, can't wait to see it! When I get around to it, I'm going to build a 1:1 scale version

Started the moulds for the larger pieces - blade today and head tomorrow. You don't ever really see "mould in progess" pictures so here ya go...

The challenge with the blade is that it comes to an angled edge around the whole piece - there isn't a "flat border" to use as a seam. My solution was to partially recess the piece into a shaped cutout in some MDF and use clay to bridge the gap between the blade edge and the MDF. I then feathered the clay down to exactly match up to the edge. It took a while but I think it will be worth it. I also added some cap nuts to key it to the other side.

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

Then the first coat of Rebound 25 - this stuff was a lot thicker than I expected it to be. I much prefer the pourable Oomoo silicone that I used for the smaller pieces but it is what it is...

IMG_0449.jpg

Another coat and then the 3rd which was thickened even more with the Thi-Vex thicking agent. This allowed me to build up the edges and points as well as add some raised keys that will lock into the mother mold...

IMG_0451.jpg

And the last overcoat. Now it just needs to cure overnight and I will trim it, shell it with Plasti-Paste, and then finish the other half tomorrow...

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

More to come...

for the hammer head. do a two part mould with a mother mould of course. for the casting part if you want to kinda hard but lite, use shell shock 1st then pour in foam-it 5 (it will not be flexiable but it will be strong and lite)

Lookin good. I like the full mold in progress feature here. It will be helpfull to many people. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice!
Make a few more and gather some friends with a ball and you can play "Griffball"! :lol:

Yay! Getting closer to a finished product! :lol: I can't wait to see the rest of the molds come together! I hope I have enough cash left after buying my SB helm. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back