When All You Have Is A Hammer... 5/3 Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogWizard

Well, I think it’s about time I pull the sheet off my latest project. I’ve been working on this for a while now but recently I’ve been able to spend more time on it and it’s really starting to come along. Needless to say it’s a scratch-built Gravity Hammer. I can’t deal with Pep but power tools – that’s another story entirely. :D It’s made entirely of MDF with a little bit of Apoxie-Sculpt.

It will end up being a bit smaller than the WETA version but I wanted something that someone could actually cosplay with. I tried to get everything as accurate as possible (working only by eye). The detailing is based primarily on screenshots but I did adopt some features from the Hammer from the “Legendary” Brute Statue.

So what do you think?

Main Body:
IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

Rear Blade:
IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

Details:
IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

Coming Together:
IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

Clearcoat:
IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

I am currently doing the final finish sanding and applying the final primer coats in preparation for clear-coating everything. I should be making moulds for the smaller detail pieces this weekend assuming that my Smooth-On order arrives on Friday. I’m still not sure how I’m going to mould the hammer head itself but I’ll probably treat it like a helmet with no neck-hole. Depending on how it goes I may consider asking one of our resident mould-masters for some assistance. :p Any suggestions would be much appreciated…

I’m also working on the shaft details but nothing worth posting pics of yet. I may be doing a short run of these sometime in the near future. Unfortunately I’ve recently joined the ranks of the unemployed so play money is tight and this is going to take a lot of resin and silicone so we’ll see how it goes…

I hope you all enjoy the progress and constructive criticism is always welcome ;)

Got the final detailing and sealing done on the head:

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

And some molds and test casts of the smaller pieces:

IMG_0319.jpg

What I've learned so far about mould-making/casting:
- Don't add too much coloring dye to the resin - you really aren't going to get "black"...
- Good lord, mix for all you are worth - when you think you are done, mix some more...
- release agents are your friend...

The mould for the front "impact teeth" is great - really happy with it. I'm re-making the mould for the rear "nozzle" as I wasn't happy with the way it came out. It is servicable but I'm really shooting for as close to perfect as I can get...

More updates soon and thanks for all the support!

GUNNEY SGT bob said:
nice what do you plan to make the shaft out of?

Thanks! The shaft will be heavy-wall PVC with resin cast details...

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy schnikies, this build is fantastic Dogwizard!

Loving the detail work.. can't wait to see how this turns out!

wow, this looks freakin amazing!
I've been wanting to make something like this for a while, just haven't had time to.

oh holy freakin' crap. I am sooooooo happy to see someone tackling a high detail hammer. That is just absotively posilutely amazing!!!!

Morphen Jar said:
Wow, that hammer looks amazing. Should be great fully painted with some blue LED's.

Thanks! I am planning on adding at least some of the lighting effects - I'll wait until I have a hollow cast to work with though...

Sean Bradley said:
Holy schnikies, this build is fantastic Dogwizard!

Loving the detail work.. can't wait to see how this turns out!

Coming from you that's a heck of a compliment - Thanks! The surface on the clearcoated pieces is actually smoother than they appear in the pictures - the lighting in the yard was doing some odd things. I would love to get this thing completed here is the next week or so but seeing as how I have never made a mould before I'm just not that optimistic... :rolleyes

GUNNEY SGT bob said:
are ya gonna make brute armor to go along with it ?

No - not really interested and I just don't have the size to pull off a Brute costume...

Enrisan said:
wow, this looks freakin amazing!
I've been wanting to make something like this for a while, just haven't had time to.

mks81 said:
oh holy freakin' crap. I am sooooooo happy to see someone tackling a high detail hammer. That is just absotively posilutely amazing!!!!

Thanks Guys - I have wanted one of these for a while and since no-one else had one in progress, I figured I'd step up and tackle the project. I'm still adding additional details as I go and my plan is for this to be the most accurate Grav Hammer out there...

Very nice! Sharp lines look greatt! Since you use MDF, I am guessing you use a table or hand saw, no? How is working with the Poxie-Sculpt? Easy to use, hard? did you get it online or from a taxidermy store?
Great Work...sorry to here about your employment situation.

DogWizard said:
I'm still adding additional details as I go and my plan is for this to be the most accurate Grav Hammer out there...

And you are definitely well on your way....Keep it up. I can't wait to see this thing finished. :D

JediStumpy said:
Very nice! Sharp lines look greatt! Since you use MDF, I am guessing you use a table or hand saw, no? How is working with the Poxie-Sculpt? Easy to use, hard? did you get it online or from a taxidermy store?
Great Work...sorry to here about your employment situation.

Thanks Much! Actually everything was rough cut with a Jigsaw then "trim-sanded" to shape with my bench sander. It was the best way to get the dimensions just right. Templates and layouts on card stock, then transferred to one of the 3 different thicknesses of MDF I used with a fine-tip Sharpie. Rough cut the dimensions and then sand to the exact outline. My bench sander has adjustable angles for both the belt and disc sides which allowed me to keep the odd angles consistent. At the end of the day it was just lots and lots of sanding and fitting by hand...

The Apoxie Sculpt is a dream to work with - imagine Playdough that sets to a rock-hard finish with no appreciable shrinking. I really only used it to adhere the back section of the head and clean up the joint. I picked it up online but I don't remember where...

Yeah - being unemployed isn't as much fun as I thought it would be :cautious: . I guess when people are having trouble paying the mortgage, there just isn't a whole lot left over to add a Home Theater...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back