Where do I get Clay, Silicon, Plastic, FaceShields etc

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by Adam, Aug 22, 2007.

1. clonetrooper1805

clonetrooper1805 Jr Member

Thanks Adam this is really useful and i thank you :not worthy:

and for spartanmartan if you are unsure you should go with the medium
    Hope I helped :D

2. Wow, I just joined 405th (already lovin it) and I was expecting a ton less than what I got here. Thanks a ton Adam, all the stuff you have put on here has been so much help.

3. hey adam i'm working on halo armor right now and i was wondering, does oil based clay good for making armor because i've been working with that

4. rvb18

rvb18 Well-Known Member

the visor link that Adam posted does the visors fit a pep h1 mark V helm?

5. shorty 21

shorty 21 New Member

hey im 13 and dont have the money to do this and it looks amazing got any ideas that dont cost anything

6. LastSpartan

LastSpartan Sr Member

Cardboard or Pepakura. Check the sections related to these for more informations.

7. yes you can sand it. another to smooth it is to use a knife and maybe cut the bumps

QUOTE(SpartanForever @ Sep 20 2007, 10:48 PM)
    Ya seriously some one should make a step by step video/pics of how to make a suit and then write about it step by step. That would be perfect.

Are you serious. this is why this website is put up. so put can learn from each other. you can't make someone just do everything for you. you have to reasearch or at least make a post here's a link to how to mold

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...;hl=how+to+mold

but dude clay pretty hard to work with maybe you should start with pep. sorry if i was being mean, i'm in a bad mood today

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017
  8. darkforest

darkforest New Member

can you get a replica face shield or do you have to use the motorcycle one without all the markings/carvings?

9. what do you mean. do you mean those deeper part. you can buy a gold visor as long as it is a visor ( face shield). you need 2 visor if you want the carving

10. OrrionCarn

OrrionCarn Member

What Plastic and Rubber do you use Adam? I'm trying to start making molds for my helmets/weapons (You'll see them when they're all done).

11. Ral Partha

Ral Partha Well-Known Member

Check Adam's mold-making tutorial in the Armor-Related Videos section.

12. Rivalmage

Rivalmage New Member

thanks for the help adam. hey i have a question about the undersuit. would a wetsuit be a good idea to use as an undersuit, just a thought.

13. mzs111

mzs111 Jr Member

Does anyone know if a SUOMY VANDAL gold iridium visor will work?

14. Ral Partha

Ral Partha Well-Known Member

The shape of the faceshield tells me that it'll work. What I can't guarantee is the quality of the gold iridium coating.

[​IMG]

Many of us prefer HJC because of how good its coatings are. If you're satisfied with its coating, then go ahead. It looks pricey, though.

15. Intimidazor

Intimidazor New Member

16. DavidFarris

DavidFarris New Member

Thanks. What size of shield and padding did you purchase?

17. Loderian

Loderian New Member

Wonderflex: CosplaySupplies.com -- Wonder Flex

For those that dont know what wonderflex is, it is along the lines of plastic.

Wonderflex is a felt like material that has all the characteristics of felt fabric, but when heated past a certain point, special chemicals release, and upon cooling, harden into stiff plastic. It also bonds to itself during the heating stage which is good for smooth seamless armor.

A massive role of wonderflex (Wondeflex Jumbo Sheet 40" x 55" / 101 cm by 139 cm) costs $55. I love this site, its where i've gotten stuff for all anime related cosplays, and its what im using for my armor.

Similar product: CosplaySupplies.com -- Friendly Plastic

"Drop these white pellets into warm water for just a few seconds to melt. Friendly PlasticĀ® pellets are completely reusable. If you don't like how the shape turned out, simply re-soften and start over. Useful for coating and smoothing Wonderflex."

It works best for making wonderflex seamless, but if you really want, you could make a pepakura mold of the helm or what not, and pour the melted pellets into it, to use the (card stock) paper as a negative mold. Use sand paper or a hot rag to soften the plastic and smooth it.

Plasti Dip

A spray on synthetic rubber material that can withstand up to negative 30 degrees F, and over 200 degrees F before cracking or warping. It resists tearing and comes in a spray and paint.

I suggest both spray and paint. Start off with 3 layers of the paint to make smooth surfaces, then do sprays more perfectly even coats. Spraying at the beginning may allow for dimples or seams to show through.

Can be found at menards or ace hardware.

Hope you find it helpful, maybe add the links to first post.

18. FinnishSpartan

FinnishSpartan Well-Known Member

Any recomendations for european members?

-FSS

19. azn stryker

azn stryker New Member

so they are selling their clay in 2lbs packages....how much would i need to purchase for the entire suit....(give or take that i will make mistakes along the way) (though they do say it is resuable). thx.

20. azn stryker

azn stryker New Member

so they are selling their clay in 2lbs packages....how much would i need to purchase for the entire suit....(give or take that i will make mistakes along the way) (though they do say it is resuable). thx.

21. MrZonk

MrZonk New Member

22. rvb18

rvb18 Well-Known Member

check the uk forum

23. rachciav

rachciav Well-Known Member

24. rowan

rowan Well-Known Member

There all fine, NSP is what bluerealm used.
    Whatever brand you go with i suggest getting soft, i found medium a little annoying to work with, had to constantly heat is up to make it more pliable.

25. rachciav

rachciav Well-Known Member

i was thinking of going with either the klean klay or the classic clay, because theyre the cheapest, and im kinda short on money. and i thought that soft would be too soft, does it capture detail as good as medium?