whereisdanielle's Foam SPI Build

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by whereisdanielle, Jan 21, 2019.

1. whereisdanielle

whereisdanielle RXO 405th Regiment Officer

Hey gang. I've finally started on my SPI build.

I'm building from Satchmo III's files, inspired by Tekka_Croe's take on the classic armour. This is my reference sheet:
    SPI ref.jpg

I start all my costumes by making paper size testers to get my scale sorted out, and then move to foam from there.

With this suit I have started on the arms. Bellow are my paper size tests.
    IMG_7284.JPG IMG_7288.JPG
    Ultimately these ended up being too big, so I scaled down.
    IMG_7313.JPG IMG_7315.JPG
    Once I was happy with the size, I moved to foam.
    IMG_7340.JPG IMG_7344.JPG IMG_7345.JPG
    I changed the scale of the forearms again at this point before I went to foam with them.
    IMG_7854.JPG IMG_7856.JPG

Here is where progress currently stands: (It was 35°C / 95°F hence the less than enthused face.)
    I wont apologise for my pretty cool bananas PJ shorts tho.
    IMG_7882.JPG IMG_7881.JPG

2. Schankerz

Schankerz Well-Known Member

Ah! T'is about time you began posting this awesome stuff here! Been watching your Insta posts on this build so far and I love ALL OF IT!

And who would ever criticize such neat PJ's? They're very A-PEEL-ing (I regret nothing)

3. HeroMinerR5

HeroMinerR5 Member

It looking good so far

4. zachturner009

zachturner009 Active Member

Those skills though, nicely done!

whereisdanielle likes this.
  5. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

YES!! I cant wait! Gret progress so far!

6. arma358

arma358 PR Officer Division Staff

Those are indeed some pretty cool bananas. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

7. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

Woo! Cool suit, great builder? I'm in.
    :ninja:

8. Harri51

Harri51 Well-Known Member

Danielle the armor is turning out fantastic as always!

whereisdanielle and Dirtdives like this.
  9. Satchmo III

Satchmo III Well-Known Member

This is super cool...I salute you and am gob-smacked how awesome those arm pieces look in the real. I'm terribly excited to see you build this and love the collaborative feeling I get looking at the art to model to fabrication transition. Do work, and let me know if I can help.

salute-08.png

10. whereisdanielle

11. whereisdanielle

IMG_7914.JPG Finished a first pass plasti-dip spraying of the arms, still some work removing seams to go - notably on the hand plates- but I'll leave it till after I've finished more of the armour.

I've got the chest all scaled and ready to go to foam, will have to make a second paper test as the first one was huge. I think I forgot to actually scale it because I got excited and printed before altering dimensions, as I definitely had it all measured and ready to input but when I printed it, it was just beyond wrong so who knows what happened there. Will figure that out hopefully tomorrow afternoon as I'm supposed to be working only a half day.

12. zachturner009

Yeah about that, what do you use to cover your seams, really clean seam fill

Dirtdives likes this.
  13. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

It looks like yo me it is just contact cemented together, and is sanded down a little but, not only removing the seams, but giving it a further organic look

Dirtdives likes this.
  14. zachturner009

That may be it, never thought of that

OTSDerpy and Dirtdives like this.
  15. OTSDerpy

OTSDerpy Member

This is looking good so far. And the organic appearance is astounding! I need to start remembering to send my pieces to make them look just like this.

16. Harri51

Harri51 Well-Known Member

whereisdanielle you make some of the cleanest armor the 405th offers. I got pumped when you dropped this build on Instagram. Once it is done it will be epic. So many members are now attacking the concept arts and illustrations. It is just awesome.

17. whereisdanielle

I use hotglue. Trick is a sharp knife for good clean cuts, and to sand it down. I then use kwikseal, paints and plastidip to further the smoothing.

18. zachturner009

That is a lot of work, I think I will just sand down my seams a tad, and use foam filler. Don't get me wrong, yours is crazy clean, but I'm lazy.

Dirtdives and Sean Anwalt like this.
  19. NEMES1S

NEMES1S Member

looking real schmick so far. foam goals to aspire to. when you say you use kwikseal, are you getting it local or internet? i haven't seen that on the shelf at bunnings. i've been messing around with sika 11fc which I've had some good success with general adhesion especially for foam soles on my boots, but the cure time is way too long for pep seams. And i can only get it big caulc tubes so it normally dries out before I can use it all

Dirtdives likes this.
  20. ExCeLLuR8

ExCeLLuR8 Member

Yes sharp blades and seam sanding is so important I have found out as well. I've gotten to the point that I use exacto knives for all my cutting. They cut like butter and give that clean machined looking edge. Awesome work on this so far, can't wait to see this build completed!

Dirtdives likes this.
  21. JD of Asgard

JD of Asgard Member

your builds are always so smooth and precise looking. Can't wait to see more!

Dirtdives likes this.
  22. ExCeLLuR8

ExCeLLuR8 Member

Quikseal can be found at home Depot or lowes. It's a bath and tube caulk. I use it as well, works very well!

Dirtdives likes this.
  23. NEMES1S

NEMES1S Member

We don't have those guys over here in Australia. And then I live in a more remote part of Aus so I normally have to order supplies online after googling names of companies in Aus that supply them. I probably should have been more specific, whether their was a company in Aus selling it or whether she was getting it from overseas.

Dirtdives and ExCeLLuR8 like this.
  24. ExCeLLuR8

ExCeLLuR8 Member

Ahh sorry man, didn't know that. Probably could order from home Depot online or perhaps a hardware store may have it? Pretty common stuff for the most part

Dirtdives likes this.
  25. Dirtdives

Dirtdives RXO & Keeper of Con Lists 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

You might not want to use the Bath and Sink flavor......those are used to seal for water....and unless you are using oil based paints, you might find it a bit harder to paint on.....I've used it but had to sand the area and scuff it so that the paint holds, and even then had to go over those areas 2-3 times more that any other. I have switched to the painters caulk flavor. You can find it in the same area in HD or Lowes.....not sure about outside the US......Sorry.