whereisdanielle's Foam SPI Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

whereisdanielle

RXO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S139
Hey gang. I've finally started on my SPI build.

I'm building from Satchmo III's files, inspired by Tekka_Croe's take on the classic armour. This is my reference sheet:
SPI ref.jpg

I start all my costumes by making paper size testers to get my scale sorted out, and then move to foam from there.

With this suit I have started on the arms. Bellow are my paper size tests.
IMG_7284.JPG IMG_7288.JPG
Ultimately these ended up being too big, so I scaled down.
IMG_7313.JPG IMG_7315.JPG
Once I was happy with the size, I moved to foam.
IMG_7340.JPG IMG_7344.JPG IMG_7345.JPG
I changed the scale of the forearms again at this point before I went to foam with them.
IMG_7854.JPG IMG_7856.JPG

Here is where progress currently stands: (It was 35°C / 95°F hence the less than enthused face.)
I wont apologise for my pretty cool bananas PJ shorts tho.
IMG_7882.JPG
IMG_7881.JPG

This is super cool...I salute you and am gob-smacked how awesome those arm pieces look in the real. I'm terribly excited to see you build this and love the collaborative feeling I get looking at the art to model to fabrication transition. Do work, and let me know if I can help.

salute-08.png

IMG_7914.JPG
Finished a first pass plasti-dip spraying of the arms, still some work removing seams to go - notably on the hand plates- but I'll leave it till after I've finished more of the armour.

I've got the chest all scaled and ready to go to foam, will have to make a second paper test as the first one was huge. I think I forgot to actually scale it because I got excited and printed before altering dimensions, as I definitely had it all measured and ready to input but when I printed it, it was just beyond wrong so who knows what happened there. Will figure that out hopefully tomorrow afternoon as I'm supposed to be working only a half day.

This is looking good so far. And the organic appearance is astounding! I need to start remembering to send my pieces to make them look just like this.

Yeah about that, what do you use to cover your seams, really clean seam fill
It looks like yo me it is just contact cemented together, and is sanded down a little but, not only removing the seams, but giving it a further organic look

I use hotglue. Trick is a sharp knife for good clean cuts, and to sand it down. I then use kwikseal, paints and plastidip to further the smoothing.

I use hotglue. Trick is a sharp knife for good clean cuts, and to sand it down. I then use kwikseal, paints and plastidip to further the smoothing.

looking real schmick so far. foam goals to aspire to. when you say you use kwikseal, are you getting it local or internet? i haven't seen that on the shelf at bunnings. i've been messing around with sika 11fc which I've had some good success with general adhesion especially for foam soles on my boots, but the cure time is way too long for pep seams. And i can only get it big caulc tubes so it normally dries out before I can use it all

Yes sharp blades and seam sanding is so important I have found out as well. I've gotten to the point that I use exacto knives for all my cutting. They cut like butter and give that clean machined looking edge. Awesome work on this so far, can't wait to see this build completed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back