Who's going to post the H3 models first???? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU64 said:
Actually, thew best method would probably be the mass production way that carbon fiber parts like hoods and fenders are made.. But not worth it for a few copies..

Hmm.. I guess nothing's shown up yet? I just listened to Johnny Mnemonic this past evening, and it reminded me of what I think is happening here: a select few are holding back something that could benefit all.

I've chatted with some of these people on AIM, it's depressing. Their arguments for why they're keeping the halo 3 models are vague and often employ circular logic. I wish something would change here, but I'm probably going to end up remodeling the armor if I want to do any kind of rapid prototyping or CNC-based manufacture of parts.

One good thing: as far as I know, none of the people who have the model are on this forum. It's good to know that the 405th doesn't do stuff like this.

So it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it really bites... I have zero hacking/modding skills, and I've wasted weeks downloading programs, map files, converters, both the retail & beta ISO's... Pretty much all for nothing so far.
I can't get past the first couple steps, & am absolutely lost when it comes to figuring out hex's & meta's... I've spent most of the time on the beta, since it's been done before, but no one is coughing up. Either my PC can't handle the proccessing, or I'm beyond lost.
For the most part, I've been stuck editing & resculpting H2 models & stuff I find on sketchup or other 3d sites... I've done up a few custom helmets, but it's just to kill time untill we get a break & get the real deal.
If anyone out there has the skills for extracting, I'll dump all the resources I've collected to dvd's & send them to you... Please... Only if you think you can do it. We're talking about burning several DVD's worth of stuff, so I can't mail them out to everyone who just want's to browse...

Wolf

Well, I managed to get the beta models tonight, including some of the different permutations of helmets and pauldrons.

Turns out they're pretty low res.. but I got the bump map, too.
Now we just have to figure out a way to apply the bump map to the model's geometry, aside from rendering, and we'll have a full model to work with.

Hi Vrogy,
As far as I know, there is no way to automatically make a bump map part of the models actual geometry, unless you convert the bump map to a sub pixel displacement map then make them editible the down side is you could end up with a mesh that has a resolution thats WAY too high for pepakura (1mil polys+), I could try to create a difference mesh from the bumps in zbrush, then optimise the poly count for pepakura if you'd give me copies of the beta files, Ive just been making my own models from screen grabs at the moment, so original files would be really handy (and time saving) and like grendelbat I just dont have the time nor skill to work out the hex value conversion stuff

convert the bump map to a sub pixel displacement map
that should have said convert to tesselated displacement, sub pixel wouldnt help at all. zomg lolz nub. ;/

NZ-TK said:
Hi Vrogy,
As far as I know, there is no way to automatically make a bump map part of the models actual geometry, unless you convert the bumps to sub pixel displacement then make them editible the down side is you could end up with a mesh that has a resolution that WAY too high for pepakura, I could try to create a difference mesh from the bumps in zbrush, then optimise the polys for pepakura if you'd give me copies of the beta files, Ive just been making my own models from screen grabs at the moment, so original files would be really handy (and time saving)

AH, but I'm not interested in pepakura. I'm building a CNC machine which should be accurate to within 1/32" on the way far outside, and vacuum-forming or resin-casting from molds produced by that.

So you can use zbrush to create geometry from a bump map? If so, that's awesome! That's exactly what I'm looking to make the bump maps geometry that I can convert to G-code for the mill..

Also, proof of actually having the model and bump map:

I'll find a way to get them out there later today.

So you can use zbrush to create geometry from a bump map
Its usually used in the other direction, and it would require quite a bit of work but its quite possible. about vac forming, I personally wouldnt go that method, vac formed armour looks fine on a stormy, but for the hard machined detail of spartan armour you'd want to roto-cast it . Depending of course on how much you want to spend fabricating it, but hey if you're building a CNC mill, making a small roto set up shouldnt be too difficult for you :) What perm helmets do you have?

Edit; PM sent Vrogy

NZ-TK said:
Its usually used in the other direction, and it would require quite a bit of work but its quite possible. about vac forming, I personally wouldnt go that method, vac formed armour looks fine on a stormy, but for the hard machined detail of spartan armour you'd want to roto-cast it . Depending of course on how much you want to spend fabricating it, but hey if you're building a CNC mill, making a small roto set up shouldnt be too difficult for you :) What perm helmets do you have?
Edit; PM sent Vrogy

Here's the perm gear I have:

Hmm, seems there are duplicates. Might be lack of sleep.

Interesting. the model seems to have a fairly high poly count already (for a game mesh) just wondering, for your mill, would there be any type of limitation on the amount of poly's its software can handle?(sorry I know nothing about mill software) Im thinking to get the bump map on it as actual geometry (as well as look nice) I may have to break the mesh up into peices and up them to about 2mil each, so the total model assembled in one go would be upwards of 20mil, doubt it would matter though as youd be printing it part by part.

edit, just thinking, why dont you just go though and nurb the hard edges, and model the details you need in max?

NZ-TK said:
Interesting. the model seems to have a fairly high poly count already (for a game mesh) just wondering, for your mill, would there be any type of limitation on the amount of poly's its software can handle?(sorry I know nothing about mill software) Im thinking to get the bump map on it as actual geometry (as well as look nice) I may have to break the mesh up into peices and up them to about 2mil each, so the total model assembled in one go would be upwards of 20mil, doubt it would matter though as youd be printing it part by part.

edit, just thinking, why dont you just go though and nurb the hard edges, and model the details you need in max?

I don't think there's a limitation. It just takes more time. It's not unheard of to have people spend a day milling a really nice part with CNC.

Looks like someone put up a rapidshare of everything already, BTW: http://rapidshare.com/files/6643578/halo3...models.rar.html

Vrogy, you are my hero... & the prize is yours... :)

I believe the easiest way to transform a bumpmap into geometery is the run it through wintopo... I've done it fairly quickly by running a texture through my photo editor using the embossing button, then run that through wintopo... It's fast & dirty, but can yeild useable results...

Wolf

NZ-TK said:

I've had that H2 chief model for a while now. It also includes the diffuse map as well. Interesting enough they used normal map instead of bump maps..
But I'd say I could remodel the suit in a higher resolution using the same proportions. And have all the details modeled instead of bump mapped.

The face of Masterchief... Revealed at last!!!

[attachment=1312:MC_face.JPG]

LOL ;)

I'm going to be playing with these for weeks.... Too freaking cool... :)

Wolf

CPU64 said:
I've had that H2 chief model for a while now. It also includes the diffuse map as well. Interesting enough they used normal map instead of bump maps..
But I'd say I could remodel the suit in a higher resolution using the same proportions. And have all the details modeled instead of bump mapped.

Clearly visible in the bump map is the halo 3 hand armor/demigauntlet plate's bump map. Remodeling it in a higher res is something lots of people want. Do it, there will be accolades for he who posts the first fully detailed halo 3 MC model with standard Mark IV armor- it seems to be what most people make around here.

Of course, it might be easier to extrude the bump map on top of the model into actual geometry, which would produce almost the same effect.

Even so, I can't seem to locate the perm armor's bump maps in the files I have, so that would indeed need to be hand-modeled.

Vrogy said:
Clearly visible in the bump map is the halo 3 hand armor/demigauntlet plate's bump map. Remodeling it in a higher res is something lots of people want. Do it, there will be accolades for he who posts the first fully detailed halo 3 MC model with standard Mark IV armor- it seems to be what most people make around here.

Of course, it might be easier to extrude the bump map on top of the model into actual geometry, which would produce almost the same effect.

Even so, I can't seem to locate the perm armor's bump maps in the files I have, so that would indeed need to be hand-modeled.

Extruding with the bump maps might not work very well because artifacts can be created in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back