Who's going to post the H3 models first???? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU64 said:
Extruding with the bump maps might not work very well because artifacts can be created in the process.

Example? I'm not familiar with how exactly it's done, but it doesn't seem a huge leap to use the map to do something analogous to the way it normally functions.. Additionally, if the artifacts aren't severe, they can be smoothed out.

In any case, using tools to re-adapt something is always better than manually re-building it, in my opinion. Why do something that's already been done, unless you absolutely have to?

Last edited by a moderator:
A few minutes of playing with the map... I also remapped the 'face' into a seperate drop-in piece, so you can put yourself inside the suit... ;)

[attachment=1318:Spartan_Render.jpg]

[attachment=1319:in_game_2.jpg]

[attachment=1320:in_game_3_v.jpg]

Example? I'm not familiar with how exactly it's done
unless the mesh is dence enough to support the new geometry, the bump, when converted to displace will just make a mess, hence the need to up the mesh density to around 2mil per part, its so there is enough actual geometry to support the new shapes created by the displacment, like trying to make a circle stick out of a square, you can do it, but only if you cut the square up heaps first

NZ-TK said:
unless the mesh is dence enough to support the new geometry, the bump, when converted to displace will just make a mess, hence the need to up the mesh density to around 2mil per part, its so there is enough actual geometry to support the new shapes created by the displacment, like trying to make a circle stick out of a square, you can do it, but only if you cut the square up heaps first

Oh. Nice explanation. I'm pretty sure you can subdivide in most 3d programs though, right?

I've been playing around with the mesh & bumpmap, & the texture details matchup to the poly-seams pretty dead on... I use metaseq for the majority of my 3D work, & it lets me go in & do patches of increased poly's for high detail areas... I'm sure just about every other 3D program does the same...
You shouldn't have to do alot of reworking to get the additional details grafted into the base model... Of course everyone has their own level or perfection... I keep mine lower to avoid as much dissappointment as possible... ;)

Wolf

I'm pretty sure you can subdivide in most 3d programs though, right?
I imagine that's correct, I can only speak about the programs I use though, and some are better than others for high density mesh sculpting. If I load an object in cinema that has 1mil poly's my poor old computer (its REALLY old) nearly has a stroke, whereas Zbrush can handle it with ease, each application has its uses though, I wouldnt use zbrush as a modeling tool for something with a machined/robotic style, cinema is far better suited to that type of work, thats not to say it cant be done in zbrush, Im just still learning how to use it.... so I kind of suck :p

I've been playing around with the mesh & bumpmap, & the texture details matchup to the poly-seams pretty dead on...

Hey Wolf, any chance you could export the models with bumps as a .c4d? I only have them in .max, and Im not a 3ds user so I have nothing that can convert them. I've been playing with the raw .obj's improving (imo) them for pepakura, but Id like to have a go at getting the bumps on as geometry

Although it did just give me the wireframe to work with

@ 23Magnum,
under the view setting, you can select it to display in various shader modes, wireframe is just the default

NZ-TK said:
@ 23Magnum,
under the view setting, you can select it to display in various shader modes, wireframe is just the default

I noticed that. I'm talking about when I converted them to .iges format and brought them into Inventor. It only translated them as a wireframe and not surfaces, though I'm cursious doesn't it make a difference which view you have when converting them. I didn't think it would, but perhaps you may know better.

when I converted them to .iges format and brought them into Inventor.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were meaning the disply, sorry I dont know anything about inventor :rolleyes

Vrogy said:
56358487rk0.png

???

The Mastah. said:

Bizarre. Here's the new links, our man went overboard:
-snip-
Removed due to illegal distribution of game content, We don't allow that here.

Vrogy said:
Hmm.. I guess nothing's shown up yet? I just listened to Johnny Mnemonic this past evening, and it reminded me of what I think is happening here: a select few are holding back something that could benefit all.

I've chatted with some of these people on AIM, it's depressing. Their arguments for why they're keeping the halo 3 models are vague and often employ circular logic. I wish something would change here, but I'm probably going to end up remodeling the armor if I want to do any kind of rapid prototyping or CNC-based manufacture of parts.

One good thing: as far as I know, none of the people who have the model are on this forum. It's good to know that the 405th doesn't do stuff like this.

So it goes.

Just to let you know Vrogy, I have had the model for many months now, Since around the time of the beta's release almost. I got the rest of them soon after. I never got around to using them myself but I did put them to good use during my away time. I put them forward to MustangMatt and JediFraz for peping. We pretty much finished all of them and Matt had assembled most of them. We were planning on releasing it all but then things fell apart and we never got around to doing it.

Then Slyfo came and posted his files for Pepakura :/ .

I had posted renders long ago of it which were in the Show Room. Eventually that was removed from this forum though due to lack of activity. You got a hold of my renders after the Show Room was taken down so I suppose you didn't know those were from me.

And Also, because those people didn't oblige to you and hand over the models, dosn't mean you need to judge them under those actions and then categorize them. Most people who were given the models were put under a strict policy about handeling them...

Vrogy, I don't know why you were after the Halo 3 Model, I had posted renders of it without a texture in my old topic in the Show Room, It showed how it was a bit more highpoly, but not enough to really have it Routed or Printed. If anything, I think you should have spent your time getting the DOA Model rather then trying to hunt down the Halo 3 Models...

jeansj6.jpg

jean2ev6.jpg

doa7ad8.jpg

pix2ey6.jpg

pix4fw9.jpg

herogear, Somehow you got your Normal Map flipped on your Chief, Looks really weird.

-Doom

Doom said:
Just to let you know Vrogy, I have had the model for many months now, Since around the time of the beta's release almost. I got the rest of them soon after. I never got around to using them myself but I did put them to good use during my away time. I put them forward to MustangMatt and JediFraz for peping. We pretty much finished all of them and Matt had assembled most of them. We were planning on releasing it all but then things fell apart and we never got around to doing it.

Then Slyfo came and posted his files for Pepakura :/ .

I had posted renders long ago of it which were in the Show Room. Eventually that was removed from this forum though due to lack of activity. You got a hold of my renders after the Show Room was taken down so I suppose you didn't know those were from me.

And Also, because those people didn't oblige to you and hand over the models, dosn't mean you need to judge them under those actions and then categorize them. Most people who were given the models were put under a strict policy about handeling them...

Vrogy, I don't know why you were after the Halo 3 Model, I had posted renders of it without a texture in my old topic in the Show Room, It showed how it was a bit more highpoly, but not enough to really have it Routed or Printed. If anything, I think you should have spent your time getting the DOA Model rather then trying to hunt down the Halo 3 Models...

When you keep something to a select few, only those few will improve upon it and create new work derived from it, if they do at all. This is a basic truth of media. Furthermore, when that select few are the only ones empowered to do whatever it is they do, in this case rendering, model/3d work with the game models, they tend to rest on their laurels after getting some work done which differentiates them from the 'crowd'.

I believe that all data wants to be free, in the hands of all, to do with as they wish. This isn't because I wish to see certain people brought low or even others elevated, but because it keeps progress rolling forward. I've seen some of the pep models that were released compared to ones done in the past few days after the models were made publicly available, and I'm amazed that the original pep authors didn't do a better job.

I've searched these forums and found several people interested in generating high-quality, game-accurate models for rapid prototyping and subsequent casting or forming, but they were ignored, or merely not answered. Now that we have the models and the normal map, we've basically figured out a way to get that extra detail.. but we couldn't have done it without them.

What I'm saying is that a little more openness and freedom could have really helped those who wish to actually break new ground a month ago. Instead of making excuses or naming reasons for something not happening, make it public, and the community will get it done. There's a lot of raw talent here- if you let them use it, you'd probably be amazed at what they could come up with.

I understand what happened, but in the future, please keep this in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back