whos pep models are better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
whos are more accurate and detailed? slyfos or flying squirels? i cant really tell, but im sure someone knows. i only ask this because i am going to be printing one out soon and i want to use the best and most accurate one out there so that i wont have to make another when i find out i used the wrong model.


note: this is not meant to offend or degrade anything slyfo or squirrel have created. i respect both of there work, and we are all very thankful.
 

Walter Spase

Well-Known Member
DemonSandWizard said:
whos are more accurate and detailed? slyfos or flying squirels? i cant really tell, but im sure someone knows. i only ask this because i am going to be printing one out soon and i want to use the best and most accurate one out there so that i wont have to make another when i find out i used the wrong model.
note: this is not meant to offend or degrade anything slyfo or squirrel have created. i respect both of there work, and we are all very thankful.

Slyfo incorporates a more difficult, but more accurate model to what is represented in the game for Pep
Squirrel is still fairly accurate, but is an easier build (less folds) (Its actually remarkably accurate for how much more simple it is to build)

Depends on whether you want and easier pep and a hard finish (squirrel's pep), or a hard pep and an easier finish (slyfo's pep).
Spend enough time, and you could most likely make both helms identical..
 
Last edited by a moderator:

FirePhoenix

Jr Member
DemonSandWizard said:
whos are more accurate and detailed? slyfos or flying squirels? i cant really tell, but im sure someone knows. i only ask this because i am going to be printing one out soon and i want to use the best and most accurate one out there so that i wont have to make another when i find out i used the wrong model.
note: this is not meant to offend or degrade anything slyfo or squirrel have created. i respect both of there work, and we are all very thankful.

I dont think it will help but im doing Flying squirl's because I just like the way it looks...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

FirePhoenix

Jr Member
Spase said:
Slyfo incorporates a more difficult, but more accurate model to what is represented in the game for Pep
Squirrel is still fairly accurate, but is an easier build (less folds) (Its actually remarkably accurate for how much more simple it is to build)

Depends on whether you want and easier pep and a hard finish (squirrel's pep), or a hard pep and an easier finish (slyfo's pep).
Spend enough time, and you could most likely make both helms identical..

As far as i know they both have the same amounts of fold (or very close) and i dont really see any diffrence?

Oh lol thought i used the Edit button... sorry for the double post :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
well i think i can fold complicated things fine, (hopefully, ive never done it before now) and i want to have the most accurate looking helmet possible, and i have already downloaded slyfos models, so im probly going with slyfo. thanks for the help spase. great advice, as usual.
 

Walter Spase

Well-Known Member
Maybe I misspoke when I said less folds, but you can see that the fold lines in SQ are more straight and easier to fold... it will also produce a smoother appearance as a raw pep.. Compare it to an in game model, and it is very very close, but Slyfo is more accurate to the game model..

Slyfo on the left, Flying Squirrel on the Right

 
Last edited by a moderator:

flying squirl

Well-Known Member
Slyfo’s are more accurate considering his are actually from the game. But on the other hand mine are the halo 2 meshes edited so that they are closer to what they look like in-game.

Here’s a lil info for non 3d graphic people so you know what i mean. In games they use relatively basic meshes onto which they put a texture map, a bump map or more recently a normal-bump map and specular maps to convey a more detailed structure. There’s a lot of other maps that can be used too including opacity, self illumination etc. but I wont bother going into them atm.

Texture maps - are exactly what they sound like, there a picture that’s wrapped around the mesh to give it colour. Sometimes included in this is subtle shading and highlights (more noticeable in older games i.e. Halo C.E.)

Bump maps – are, again, a picture but this time there only in black and white (not so with normal bump maps as they use three colours). The white portions tell the computer to render that part as more raised then the rest, the black are the opposite and, of course, they greys are the intermediaries.

Specular maps - are basically they shiny and non shiny parts and, again, are conveyed by a picture and, like the bump maps, are black and white. White is shiniest and black is matt.

(You may have noticed in halo 2, in the cut scenes, for a second you would see the mista chief looking…well… kinda crap and flat. This is because it would take a second for the bump maps and specular maps to load.)

you are now edumahkayted in 3d! so now you hopefully see the difference between my model's and slyfo's.


Spase said:
Slyfo incorporates a more difficult, but more accurate model to what is represented in the game for Pep
Squirrel is still fairly accurate, but is an easier build (less folds) (Its actually remarkably accurate for how much more simple it is to build)

Depends on whether you want and easier pep and a hard finish (squirrel's pep), or a hard pep and an easier finish (slyfo's pep).
Spend enough time, and you could most likely make both helms identical..

slyfo's one are more complex???? :eek: searisly? o_O they must have upped the poly limit in next gen games a crapload!!!! cuz mines got 896 polys in it, thats 1641 edges not including the open edges, so tecnicly if you creased every fold in my one youd have to do it 1641 times!!!! (thankfully you dont thoe cuz its unwraped so that most of them can just be curved)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Walter Spase

Well-Known Member
There you have it, what I am trying to say, but in the computer generated video game language... it actually may make it easier to understand to the tech minded folks...
 

AoBfrost

Well-Known Member
Slyfo's are from the game, flying;s were custom made, flying's is probably 95% accurate, while slyfo's is 100% accurate due to it being the game's model.
 

flying squirl

Well-Known Member
exactly! i think.

mine's for those who arnt bothered with 100% accurate preportions and want detail fast so they can be lazy with sanding/bondo later where as his are perfictly accurate but not as stupidly detailed starting off.

bdw, you can see how mine's off in the profile view.
 
wow thanks so much guys. this really helps alot. i like how squirrels does not have teh visor in, and it has supports. that really cool. im probably going to go with slyfos, because spases helmet turned out really great. but later on i might try a helm squirrel style. btw is there a way to make the supports in squirrels appear in slyfos? thanks! i hope this thread helps people that dont know which pep model to use.
 

Chewbs

Member
FS' helm seems to have a lot of the small details that Slyfo's does not have. The reason for this being that FS modeled the small details that are done in game via bump mapping and what not.
 

Chewbs

Member
DemonSandWizard said:
just use bondo or metal glaze(ala spase) to make all the details.

well a lot of the details are the various indents on the back of the helm which would require you to remove pieces rather than add
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DemonSandWizard said:
well i guess it wasnt considered becasue i havent seen it lol. pm me or post the link here id like to check it out! sry for leaving you out
its in my sig, i edited the original halo 2 mesh to add in more detail, i kept a simple build in mind. also in my thread i have a link to my flickr account, i have lots of pics of the build
 
Last edited by a moderator:

mlcallanta

Jr Member
I really enjoyed making Danni's pep - its a simple & relaxing build. It has enough details from which you can add your own details and I'd vote it as the example in our tut sticky. It looks good!

Slyfo's on the other hand is a bit more complex due to the added details. It has more parts/folds. Its what I'm modding right now & basis for which we would be molding.

FS's - honestly I never had the pleasure of building as I probably missed the file. If I would have more time, I'd try his contributions as well.

Is it possible to collect the above 3 files with a sample pep 3d pic beside their files & stickied to the tuts we have? I'm sure this would help out newbies in the future.
 
MLC said:
I really enjoyed making Danni's pep - its a simple & relaxing build. It has enough details from which you can add your own details and I'd vote it as the example in our tut sticky. It looks good!

Slyfo's on the other hand is a bit more complex due to the added details. It has more parts/folds. Its what I'm modding right now & basis for which we would be molding.

FS's - honestly I never had the pleasure of building as I probably missed the file. If I would have more time, I'd try his contributions as well.

Is it possible to collect the above 3 files with a sample pep 3d pic beside their files & stickied to the tuts we have? I'm sure this would help out newbies in the future.
thats for the mods to decide, honestly, i hope so, that would be great a link, and pic in the stckies. *ahem* mods?
[attachment=1123:helmets.jpg]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top