Why do YOU build armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask me why I like prop/armor making and I'll tell you its because I have good artistic ability (well not as good as some of you but just enough to do a good job) and well I really wanted to challange my abilities and thats why I decided to make my own armor.

I have been a HALO nerd for ten years now and I have never done anything like building something from the Halo-verse. Since Halloween is approaching, I figured why not have a suit of ODST armor? I am almost done and have less than two weeks to build the shoulders, thighs, and chest. I love the challenge of this.

Hey everyone at the 405th I'm new here, and it pleases me to meet all of you, but the reason why I love to build armor is because its a fun hobby, and its not that expensive on where to look, I build armor for my friends, and I don't make profit out of it I just do it for fun. Plus its fun to build on Halloween etc. Show off saying, "yes, I've made this" and people will NOT believe you built such high quality armor, and I hate low quality armor that you see on Walmart, or just any other Halloween store, that's what pleases me is people being skeptical that I've made something great, instead of bought online. Halo the video game though is a love-hate relationship, I love the concept in the video game. ABSOLUTELY love it. The game-play is AMAZING, but...the online portion...I cannot FATHOM. Just to many immature people on it..Besides that, I just mute them and play the game. Other than that, the concept of the game just captured the imagination of myself, I wanted to build armor JUST like that. I wish they had something for the US military, or some sort of exo-skellington that would be awesome.

I like cosplay. Not just any cosplay; I won't go for half-ashed work, won't wear it, and I'm a 'go all the way or don't go at all' kind of artist. It's not even the exhibition part at the end where I get to show it off for 3 days, it's just the ability to say 'Yep, I made myself some Halo armour and it's just. Awesome." And because I can, and am willing to do it, while others aren't. It's odd because I do hate crowds and conventions aren't my forte pie. But.... what better to protect me from the sight and/or touch of 10,000 convention goers than a suit of Mjolnir armour? (or a giant robot in last year's case). Not to mention Red vs. Blue. Just the opportunity to re-enact the 'Protect me cone!' scene is well worth it. My heart has been stolen by the teeth of roosters...

Also, it gives me an excellent excuse for my room being disastrously messy.

i build costumes because honestly i dont see the point in traditional art anymore. i used to draw all the time and then i just kinda stopped and said whats the point? great, another 2-d image that cant do anything and isnt anything. i started to feel like making something that had no purpose but to be filed away might as well not exist. with the costumes, everything i make has not only a physical manifestation but a purpose other than being a display peice.

I build armor because it's a compulsion. Before the armor, it was jewelry making. Before that, blacksmithing. My mind sees a new challenge and i just NEED to know how it's done. Once I've mastered this skill, I'll move to another... and then another

i build costumes because honestly i dont see the point in traditional art anymore. i used to draw all the time and then i just kinda stopped and said whats the point? great, another 2-d image that cant do anything and isnt anything. i started to feel like making something that had no purpose but to be filed away might as well not exist. with the costumes, everything i make has not only a physical manifestation but a purpose other than being a display peice.

I know what you mean, I remember drawing a masterpiece (or at least my version of a masterpiece lol) looking at it and then being like... ok what now? Not that I don't appreciate a good piece of art; paintings, music, etc. I just enjoy armor building more.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to post in this thread, it's gotten a lot more attention than I expected and it's really nice to get some insight from the other community members.

I havent built my armor yet, although I want to create an armor because it seems like it would be fun to do so. Ive actually been looking into doing it off and on for the past few months until I came across this site and a few tutorial vids. I would really like to make my Noble 6 armor mostly and not just spartan armor or another characters armor. This way I can take my character from Reach and be able to either A)cosplay or B)halloween(obviously not this year), if not both. Im also gonna be trying to get a Halo group going around where I live.

I build mine for Comic-Con, it's an awesome time where you get to express what you're a fan of and I love being able to wear my Halo love on my sleve, and everywhere else for that matter.

i started because i really felt like i need to do something to say bye to bungie+halo. i know its weird, but they basically built the last 10+ years of my life.

I've always wanted a hobby that had an awesome outcome for me. And my parents and all my friends say that I can't make armor and I have to prove them all wrong! :p

Well, I quit a job working 12-14 hour days 6 days a week for a job with similar pay at 9 hours a day 5 days a week. I'm used to busting my hump and I had to do SOMETHING.

I always wanted to be a super hero. I've been a martial artist for years but the halo story always made me want to be better. I train hard to be the best and master chief... Is the best. haha.

i started because i really felt like i need to do something to say bye to bungie+halo. i know its weird, but they basically built the last 10+ years of my life.

Yeah, a lot can happens in 10 years, and sometimes its the constant things in our lives that keep us grounded, even if it is something as trivial as a video game.

i build armor because well idk really, not for any specific reason i always get asked this question by friends and family and i never really have a good answer, i guess it because its really fun and the armor ( when its done right) looks awesome and you get a feeling of accomplishment after that first piece of armor is completely finished

I am part of those people that have not made an armour.

But the reason i want to do one? It's because i want to wear my own version of my favorite sci-fi armour, the dragon scale the techpriests in 40k wear.

What? You expected another answer :p

Bad jokes aside, i just felt the urge to create a real techpriest armour, I've never seen one, only robes. With some half-ass wire-mesh for robotic arm, and it just annoys me.
I've seen so many other awesome costumes, i mean halo armours with lights? Iron-man helmets that open and close automatically? And alot of other amazing cosplays.

But not a single awe-inspiring version of my absolute favorite character. Which saddens me.

So if i make it, i could very well make the best looking suit of that type in the world, which is a beautiful thought (now someone will do it, or preferably do a super cool one just before i does, but one can dream.)

Plus it would be fun to take a stroll around town, dressed in armoured robes and just act as a techpriest. And see the look at peoples faces.
I guess it would be priceless.

Plus i've never really seen anyone in town cosplaying, would be fun to just hit the streets and be different.

So why would i do an armour?
*Looks at above statements.*

To be awesome, have something few others have and have fun doing it.

Klomster out.

I for one have a love/hate relationship with building my armors. I HATE all the long hours and waiting. but the finished product is amazing and i LOVE wearing the armor that I personally made.

"Tis always been War...Building armor is an ancient skill inherited via necessity...even today in our hi tech world...the ancient art is evolving...because War will always be...So for us Building armour is calming...knowing that when the attack comes and everyone is scrambling in fear...their are those of us that will be donning our armor and making ready to tromp over our foes." MantisRain.

Seriously tho...You have to admit it is fun watching the looks on peoples faces when seeing someone in well made armor strolling around...

Also for me it is nice to know that i am using something i have made and know it is better made than what can be bought affordably...and if it does break i can fix it or rebuild it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back