Why do YOU build armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
something to have for collage :p not that meany ppl do this, i'll be blown away if thers onther person at my collage that does this

Because it allows me to be an attention hog at cons, and to show off my mad skillz.

...Unfortunately, the only thing I have is a rushed MKV suit....argh...

I make armor because i enjoy halo, and i want to be a spartan :p
just for the lulz, and if its finished= to show off

To get the greatest heroes of the world a little closer.
nothing is cooler than in full armor to say "I am iron man"
Women like guys in "uniform"
I'm a nerd

The reasons should be enough.

It all started when I was doing a video for a scholarship. I found backyard fx and how to do halo armor. It peaked my interest because my other hobby was building computers, and we all know how expensive that is. So new cheaper hobby, here I come. Already had printer and paper was free from my job so why not?

I build armor to keep from going completely insane. It is a good way to keep my mind busy. Also, I enjoy wearing what I build for charity, but the truth is that I am a complete geek and just like dressing up in public with other geeks and not feeling out of place.

To be badarse, to simply put lol.

THAT and I love Halo wayyyy too much. And I love making costumes of/from characters/series. Kind of nerdy like that...

Being in High School, you get put into your little cliques all the time. You do one thing wrong you marked as a loser or a gay. If you don't do drugs, drink your liver to death, or have sex on a regular basis your considered a loser. I am very happy to say I'm a loser in my school, I have one best friend that I hang out with all the time, yes I have other friends to hang out with but I would rather just hang out with my best friend then go to some stupid party that's going to get shut down anyways!

So yeah, Im what you would call a " Loser " In my school, but the funny thing is, when I come in to my art class and show everyone what I am making no one ever thinks to say wow your such a loser. They all ask me how I'm making it, and saying how cool it is, and how they all want picture with me when I have it finished.

So when I finish my suite, I can say I have actually accomplished something in my life that took blood, sweat, and tears to make. Then I can go into my school walk around and watch as the cliqus dissapear. I know just as much as everyone else here does, that no matter how cool you make your self out to be, if your favorite game character comes in to school your going to want a picture with them. So I will stand there in my armour smiling as everyone forgets about the losers and the cools, and just be themselves.

So when I get asked why I make my armor by people at school. I just smile and say " Because I love it, it is a part of who I am. I have fun staying up for hours cutting paper and gluing it all together, I love going out and resining each piece, and bondoing; I can make each piece what I want it to be, and no one will be think to say what a loser. Because they will all be asking how I made my very own Kat armor."

Thats why I build armor.
Amen to that.

Wow, after reading through ALL the responses on this thread, (its the summer, i'm bored.) I have no doubt why I'm building Halo armor. Like so many have said, I have always built things ever since I was a kid and that just never stopped. It developed into a passion for anything art related and eventually it developed into a passion for teaching. Reading this thread I see so many people of so many different ages finding pleasure in what is truly an art form. Teaching in public school here in the states can drain the creativity and passion out of lot of people if you let it. But every time I see just one of my students get that "Ah HA!" moment, I realize I'm exactly where I need to be. This year I was struggling to find a project that really grabbed some students. I was showing them some sculpture videos on Youtube and ran across the IndyMogul vid on halo armor. You could see the light bulbs turning on all over the room. It was a no brainer from there.

Now I'm able get some kids passionate about an art form that not only can they relate to but they could honestly turn into a career. And just for icing on the cake....

I get to build Master Chief armor!

Yes I guess it does come around to that in the end. Long story short, as much as I enjoy creating things myself, I enjoy watching these students and everyone on the 405th finding as much pleasure in art even more.

Well. I have to do SOMETHING while I'm watching Star Trek and other stuff. Can't stand doing just one thing at a time...
Plus it's fun to make things with your hands.

I don't really have a complicated reason or anything... I just enjoy making things that make people happy. Video games, mods, face painting; if people smile it's worth it. It also doesn't hurt that creating/building things is fun.

For one, I have been a HUGE Halo fan since it came out. Two, I enjoy making costumes and props and things. Three, the feeling of wearing a Bad-@$$ suit and no one knows who you are, but they think youre awesome is sooo worth it.

I am doing it because halo has such a.. let's say.. hold.. on my heart.. just the music, the action, the storyline.. the intelligence.. it's just amazing.. and I want to be a part of that! I mean who wouldn't!! you know?

Well, it all started in 2005. I was eight years old and there was a Halloween contest in my neighbor hood. so naturally, my sister and i wanted to enter it. we spent a week working on a costume that we thought would win our division hands down. but sadly, the idea was REALLY bad. :p we decided to go as dice. like a pair of dice. sadly, i have no pictures. but this idea of building costumes seemed better than wasting $20 on a crappy 1 use costume that doesn't look legit. so in 2006, i researched how to make costumes. and in 2007 i needed to be inspired. So I made This optimus prime suit. in 2008, I made This Ironman suit which introduced me into pepakura. I then made This bumble bee suit for the movie ROTF. I used a moljonir base and put paper inside's bumble bee model on top of it. So now today, I am working on my first legit halo suit that i plan to wear to the midnight opening of halo CEA. so the reason i build costumes is not to show off, not to feel good, and not because it looks awesome. but i do it because I am inspired by my past life's work and i hope that it will continue like that and improve at the rate that it has when i grow older.

I just build B.A. suits, and the halo suit as always been a favorite, just because of the design, and its perfectly made details. Its just an engineering masterpiece, and it is perfectly designed for shoving a sniper rifle barrel into an alien, shooting a round inside it, causing the expanding gases coming out of the muzzle break to blast an exit wound the size of a watermelon, and then walking away like a B.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back