Wip Weta Odst Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

YamTEKK

Hi all, I've been lurking these forums for a good few months now so I finally decided to join!

I've recently started work on the Weta version ODST armour, and thought as there are now a few new ODST threads I'd add my own. I plan to cast all the parts, so I've only made one shoulder piece and am only planning to do one knee and leg. Since these pictures were taken I've completed the 3 upper chest pieces. Anyway, enjoy, and don't judge me on the fact that I can't take pictures of myself very well ;)

019.jpg

075.jpg

006.jpg

Also, I resin'd my helmet about 20 minutes ago, however immediately after I realised it was far too cold and I might not have mixed in quite enough catalyst. Will it cure eventually, or have I just ruined it?

It really depends on

1. how cold it is

AND

2. how much catalyst you used

If you used just enough catalyst and it isnt too cold it will harden but it may still be tacky on the surface, this can be fixed with baby powder.

Nice start so far but if you're going for a full Weta armor set then that's the wrong shoulder/bicep armor to use.

I always love to see new Weta ODSTs pop up.

If the fiberglass had not turned hard, try using a heat gun or a blow dryer to speed up the chemical reaction on the helmet and if that doesn't work make another batch of fiberglass resin.

Dont worry about it, if it dont cure in an hour or so then just mix what we call a hot batch lol. mix soms resin and put a lot of hardener in it and just brush it around and you will be fine.

@tarchinoko: It's about 4[sup]o[/sup]C here, not sure what that is in farenheit, but pretty cold, and the resin I used said to use 1-2% catalyst, which I estimated. I'll see how it goes, thanks for the advice.

@Ruse: Yeah, I know, I forgot to mention I veto'd some parts as I don't like every aspect of the Weta version. It's only the shoulders and the forearms I'm changing, and I may go back and do the original versions at some point.

@Zeshan & Sidewayz: Thanks, I'll try both of those if it doesn't harden!

Lucas said:
Can multicolored cardstock cause issues with maintaining an even paint finish/color later on?

if he uses bondo over the pep, then primes it all i dont see that he should have a problem =P

awesome peping aswell i might add

Last edited by a moderator:
nice, that's some festive armor :D nice to see that the WETA ODSTs havent dropped off the forums :) speaking of, welcome to the forums.

Currently working on something similar myself, looks good so far, and you're much farther along than I am, you're going to love pepping the shin pieces, I have =/ LOL.

I am the king of editing... I'm in the process of making three pep shins, don't ask.

Thanks Everyone :)

@Lucas & Frosty: Yeah, it'll be bondo'd and primed before painting, so won't make any difference. The coloured stuff was just cheaper ;)

@Trigger: Yeah, I'm working on those at the moment, they're a complete pain. :sleep

Anyway, update!

So, I didn't get a chance to check the helmet results yesterday, but went into my garage this morning and found this:-

031.jpg

It did set, but only after it fell part. Great. Live and learn I suppose! So I need to go to the mall later to get some more cardstock and re-pep it. Good thing the weta model is simple ;)

In the meantime, I resin'd the chest packs and the shoulder, and set up a rig to keep them warm to they cure properly:-

032.jpg

033.jpg

So, by tomorrow I'll hopefully have the torso part resined, and I'll have the second helmet at least partly pepped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back