Wiring LED TO helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kiltmanfortytwo said:
most LEDs have such a limited range, mainly on-off, that a petentiometer would do absolutely nothing.

Chris
On most of the ones I deal with they get dimmer with less power. I guess it depends on the type of LED you use but a potentiometer could be used successfully on some types.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are variable LEDs out there, but all have a minimum voltage that they require to operate. Most of the time this is around 3.5 volts, well under operating voltages for most digital circuits. Read the packaging, it will tell you what voltage you need. If the LED can be adjusted the packaging should tell you how this is accomplished (haven't dealt with them, but I did find some products that use them)

Note, LEDs are diodes, voltage only flows one way through them; so, if one or more of your LEDs don't work, maybe you have them hooked up backwards.

Another way to tell which leg is negative on a round LED is to look for a flat side, square or rectangular LEDs have markings (packaging will tell you how).

I Really need to know the answer to this. When i was small i made a Christmas card with a LED light in it, once i tuned it on and I burnt my finger. Would you have to cover the wires inside the helmet with somthing? I mean I really dont was to burn my head

Heat shrink tubing works nice for this.... thats what I use to avoid shorts.
You can buy it at electronics stores..

You can also use electrical tape.

When using heat shirink remember to plan it out, you can slide the tubing over the diodes until you close the circuit, so remember to slid a length over the wire you are going to solder before you solder your cicuit closed

I have a few more qestions before I go out and buy my supplies:

1. is it possible to link all 4 LED's to 1 switch?
2. how long will the battery last powering 4 LED's?
3. how much do switches cost?
4. how much would 4 LED's cost?

smilie120 said:
I have a few more qestions before I go out and buy my supplies:

1. is it possible to link all 4 LED's to 1 switch?
2. how long will the battery last powering 4 LED's?
3. how much do switches cost?
4. how much would 4 LED's cost?
yes you can link all 4 to one switch, the battery should last for awhile depending how often you use it
cost depends were you go

Now, heres an interesting thought. Could you have a 3 way switch that powered on all the lights on the suit if you switched it one way, and then if you switch it the other way, then only the helmet lights activate ?

Yes, make a circuit for the suit lights and one for the helmet lights
on one of the selections you only attach the helmet circuit
on the other you attach both
and the third is off

The only issue is joining the circuits, you will need some type of connector to join your helmet with your suit
I've been playing around with the idea of a connector that uses magnets to attach a junction block in the neck armor to the helmet so that you don't have to manually attach them
I want to run comms and displays into the helmet as well (just LEDs as indicators)

Here's what I was thinking about with the junction block
tn_gallery_2981_37_118679.jpg

Another effect would be to get a light sensor and using that to automatically adjust your LEDs (esp ones used for additional light)

Hmm, interesting source for LEDs
Wiki on LEDs for marine (aquatic) use
LED data & tips

drgon47 said:
Now, heres an interesting thought. Could you have a 3 way switch that powered on all the lights on the suit if you switched it one way, and then if you switch it the other way, then only the helmet lights activate ?

Suit lights? please explain, i don't know where they are?

theres two on each side of the helmet, and im pretty sure there are two on each thigh somewhere....not sure though

link4044 said:
heres the font where there are lighting

heres the back

thanks

edit:

Btw i found this diagram i found it quite useful when wiring.

fd11b16a.gif

ground meaning back to the negative part of the battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back