Wooden Assault rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE!!! Sorry for the wait:
021.jpg
The piece of wood im pionting to is the bolt action...this is one of the things i ran into... i have to make an additional 3" to the back of the gun but no worries!
022.jpg
Top view
020.jpg
gun length {with out but or additional 3"}
019.jpg
The new bolt {3rd time is the charm} because this is also one of things i ran into

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 90
Yeah its coincidental but hunt with a 243 too anyway can't wait to see how this build turns out, I hope to make a reach ar.

theres alot of detail in this gun i didnt relize it till now because i have to make a certain part at a diagnal and it makes a wierd shape so lets hope it comes out good

Get some access to a lathe or lathe centers (grab a good drill or a motor with a chuckmount), and then put them up and turn the bullets, and if you can, make as many round parts as you can, and AVOID these woods.

AVOID: Balsawood, Cedar, Plywood, Birchwood, Basswood

LOOK FOR: Oak, Maple, Cherry (no joke, its strong), Mahogany (NOT JOKING, its strong and very easy to work with SO easy, its worth the cash!), Pine, Walnut (Hard to work with, but adds weight, offset color, and is not too expensive if bought from the right places), Ash

If you wanna go cheap but strong, I'd go for the Pine, Poplar, Oak or maybe even White Maple, they are pretty cheap to buy, and all you need is a jigsaw, sawzall, and/or a tablesaw.

theres alot of detail in this gun i didnt relize it till now because i have to make a certain part at a diagnal and it makes a wierd shape so lets hope it comes out good

You're probably talking about the front of the gun, right? You can create these two diagonal edges with only a few straight cuts if you start with a massive block of wood. The rest should be easy from there. Below is a quick illustration (my proportions are way off, obviously). Reference is a bit contradictory on that last cut, sometimes it's angled and sometimes it isn't.

MA37FrontCut.jpg

Attachments

• MA37FrontCut.jpg
    MA37FrontCut.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 92
Thanks rangerjean I was thinking about a reach ar but maybe I should build something easier like the pistol, but The shotgun sounds pretty cool too.

UPDATE!!! Sorry for not posting in a while and this is for those who hav been following
020-1.jpg
This is the xtra 3 inches i was talking about but im not done
019-1.jpg
Again
018-1.jpg
And again
017.jpg
016.jpg
015.jpg
014.jpg
This is towards the back of the gun
013-1.jpg
This is the grove thats at the front of the gun and its not straight any suggestions???
012-1.jpg

Attachments

• 020-1.jpg
    020-1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 019-1.jpg
    019-1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 018-1.jpg
    018-1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 92
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 013-1.jpg
    013-1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 012-1.jpg
    012-1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 99
This is the grove thats at the front of the gun and its not straight any suggestions???

Well, either make it wider or use putty to fill the uneven spots. Also, when you use cutters or sanding bands, make sure to go slowly and move the tool deliberately. Never let the shape of the model guide it.

Dremel also has a parallel-circular-attachment (#678 I think). You may want to try that to get straight, parallel lines.

One suggestion I would make, would be to pencil in a line using a straight edge, then follow that line. Be sure and leave yourself from room for error though, don't cut right with the line, after all, it's easier to shave off a mm or two at a time, than to replace it.

And Dremel does make what Ventrue is talking about, and they also make a router attachment, which could be ideal for something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back