worbla custom halo build

Status
Not open for further replies.

propfreak

Jr Member
getting pretty close for having my first pieces ready for paint. smoothing out some areas and getting some detail added. the process is a lot like a foam build but has a hard surface like fiberglass!
image_zps7fcc0f13.jpe
picture007_zps413808ff.jpg
helmet1_zps2b9a32cb.jpg

Attachments

• image_zps7fcc0f13.jpe
    image_zps7fcc0f13.jpe
    25.5 KB · Views: 334
  • helmet1_zps2b9a32cb.jpg
    helmet1_zps2b9a32cb.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 299
  • picture007_zps413808ff.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 217
getting pretty close for having my first pieces ready for paint. smoothing out some areas and getting some detail added. the process is a lot like a foam build but has a hard surface like fiberglass!
image_zps7fcc0f13.jpe
helmet1_zps2b9a32cb.jpg

Ah, I was wondering when I would start seeing some worbla Halo armor!

I think that medium has seen a lot more attention thanks to "Hero's of Cosplay" and some other exposure by people like Ya Ya Han.

Looks great so far! If you get a chance, you should do a tutorial on a piece you make- I bet folks here would love to learn more about it!

Attachments

• helmet1_zps2b9a32cb.jpg
    helmet1_zps2b9a32cb.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 134
  • picture007_zps413808ff.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 145
  • image_zps7fcc0f13.jpe
    image_zps7fcc0f13.jpe
    25.5 KB · Views: 595
if someone here (that has some video editing expertise) wanted to help out I would be happy to. I have the other shoulder piece templates drawn out so I could put something together with that....

would you guys be interested if put together a tutorial on worba and foam armor finishing? here is one of my finished foam suits...
ipandme_zps2492e52b.jpg

Attachments

• ipandme_zps2492e52b.jpg
    ipandme_zps2492e52b.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 190
I've been toying with the idea of using warbla but I was concerned with flimsy the material would be for 'up' armored costumes. I only see it used for boob fitted plate armor and such. The bulk of the EVA foam seems to lend itself for for our purposes.....I'll be very interested to see how this turns out.

I REALLY want to start using warbla, but not if it's going to be super expensive and provide 'iffy' results.

Good luck bud! I'll be anxiously awaiting more pics!!!

My Ex GF made some cosplays with Worbla and iam pretty interessted in making some armor parts with this material or the basic details which have to be flexible enough to bring it in the perfect shape.
are these worbla plates hard enough compared to EVA?

I have been really interested in worbla as well. But it does seem kind of expensive. How sturdy/ stable is it?

This is the first time I'm hearing about worbla. But after researching a bit, I think I'll probably use it for my hand plates/glove detail parts.

Where can you buy this stuff? Is it on Amazon? I cant seem to find it anywhere except cosplay.com or something.

Great build so far! Keep it up!

Im curious how you get it smooth without giving it that leather look, it doesn't seem to sand well

Im curious how you get it smooth without giving it that leather look, it doesn't seem to sand well

Heat. Pretty sure you manipulate it with a heat gun.

This is a tutorial I see used a lot, good place to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heat. Pretty sure you manipulate it with a heat gun.

This is a tutorial I see used a lot, good place to start.

Hehe, i start to think, that worbla is a german product ^^ most of the videos are from german users like her :p
and yeah, you are right. worbla is a thermoplast which can be activated with a heatgun at a temperature of 90°C

the most annoying thing bis worbla is, that you waste a lot of material for several layers befor you get the thickness and strength you want for armor. most of the current cosplay armors are body narrow armor pieces. the body hold the pieces in the shape, but a chief chest is heavy and i dont think that you can keep it cheap enough. :-(

I think I should be able to do a full suit in worbla for around 160. I still use Eva underneath the worbla for strength and comfortable. As for smoothing out the worbla and getting it ready for paint you can use gesso. I've been told 3 layers should smooth it out. My plan is to gesso the armor then plastic dip the piece before painting. I should be able to get a nice smooth finish. I'm hoping to have it painted by the end of the month so ill get more pics up then. So far I'm very happy with the results and compared to a straight Eva build it should be a stronger build.

should have a big update on this by the end of the week. just about ready to start to seal and paint the torso armor. been adding a ton of detail to the armor and just about there.

getting sooooo close to painting the chest yet so much detail to add
551176_10201880013592576_157018451_n_zps90e034f9.jpg

Attachments

• 551176_10201880013592576_157018451_n_zps90e034f9.jpg
    551176_10201880013592576_157018451_n_zps90e034f9.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 249
I have now seen a couple worbla pieces made here. definitely need a tut on it.

Yours, and nephtis....

Please definitely work on a tutorial, I am dying to see how people put this into action.

as I have recently purchased a large sheet of it... I am wanting to create amazing armor. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back