Work In Progress: Mark Vi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavrick

Jr Member
First off, thanks for all the great information guys, its been great reading and seeing what talent there really is in this world!

I wanted to delay a post until i had a good majority of pieces pep'd, however i have run into a snag and would just like some reassurance, please.

I started working on the pieces in early may, however work, vacation, and other hobbies left me busy until this past friday when i started working on the forearms. My friends have been wanting me to attend a con for a couple years, but i didnt want to go without some participation. I decided going as a Spartan would make things interesting. Hopefully i can stay motivated long enough to finish it for Youmacon at the end of October.

First, my two finished HD hand plates. Overall, i'm pleased with the results. There is one area of detail that will get grinded and reworked when i glass the plates. If you look at the recessed portion of the top left plate, you'll see where its slightly creased upwards.

DSCF0774.jpg

Second, My rightside forearm. They are the MD that FS made. I started to cut out the HD pieces but after cutting some of them i felt it was out of my skill level at the moment. I've got it pictured next to my left arm so i can compare length of my arm to the pep'd piece. This is what i need reassurance on. Is it too short, a little short but not enough that others will pick it out easily, or am i just imagining it. I've looked at alot of reference pictures but i just cant decide for myself.

DSCF0777.jpg

DSCF0776.jpg

DSCF0779.jpg

Thanks for looking! All comments welcome! Now that I've posted i guess i've got to keep up on the progress haha.

Looking good! I'm happy to see someone else that made the Md forearms by Flying Squirrel. I've found that Fs's forearm file tends to look just a bit stubby when you build it. I scale mine to about 26cm, and they look a bit small, and I've had a bit of trouble getting my hand through, but I fixed it by hinging them on the underside. I think yours looks just about right. I don't think it's worth redoing. Overall I think your pepping skills are developing really well. The Hd forearms are indeed very tough. Just wait until you have to build your chest :rolleyes Overall this is coming along well. Keep up the good work! ;)

Thanks man, i appreciate it!

Yeah plans for the chest piece: LAST! I decided i would do them by my perception of their level of difficulty. Boots will be next on my list.

I'm 6'2". Mine are scaled to 32cm. I wasnt able to slide my hand in either. Once all pieces are resined, i'll go back and trim the cuff down until i can squeeze it in. Soon as i can get a second hand to take photos, i had planned on doing my part and listing all scaling sizes as well as a shot of myself for reference.

Anyways, thanks again!

Wow, your hand plates look really nice! As well as the forearm!

Might I add, where did you get the HD files?

Tahu said:
Good work Mavrick, If you pep the rest of your suit so clean, you will have a pro suit!

I hope so. I was a little bummed that i had to drop down to the med def forearms, however i know i can pick some of the detail back up with filler when it comes time to start smoothing it out. I'm trying real hard not to rely on body filler other than for smoothing.

If anyone picked it up, there was a recessed area that wasnt glued properly in the picture. I found it easier to glue portions of those recessed areas similar to "tacking in place" and go back later and finish them. I've since finished those areas.

Hopefully i can get the other forearm completed within the next couple days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,

Wow its amazing how busy i've been lately. I didnt even realize its been a month since my last update. This left forearm has been begging me to finish it and so i finally had time to finish it. Hopefully my next update isnt a gap as big as this...I'm not doing very well as far as meeting my "wishful" Oct 30th deadline.

By itself:

DSCF0781.jpg

With the rest of it thus far:

DSCF0780.jpg

Not sure what piece i'm going to start next. I'm leaning towards boots, but perhaps the biceps just so i can say the arms are complete. I went to do some resining and glassing but my last project used all of my resin up. Since i find that buying it by the jugs you find at walmart and such is eventually a rip off, i'm going to hold off and see if i can pep everything else first before i waste money...and time.

Corrective critiscm is very welcome. Its a bad habit of mine that i strive for perfection and i've noticed that when fitting pieces together, some dont always match up perfect. I'd like to know how i rank in regards of Pefect <> Suck.

Thanks 405th for everything!

well, if you wanted to have quicker results, you could always first teach a couple of your friends how to build pepakura, then allowing them to build their own rigs between themselves, then you could always ask them to help you with the rest of the armor, like designating some of them to do the breastplate, while others do the biceps, or w.e, and others doing other things...

I'm going to youmacon. If i dont finish it before then, then i'll be going to ohayocon in january. The idea of a con never really interested me until i heard some of the things that happen...Now i'm going to give one a shot.

@ Sierra 720: None of my friends are talented in the ways of crafts and building things. I would end up redoing the piece they gave me. I'll work through it quicker now that i've got a few finished.

As promised, this piece came about much quicker. It was definately a pain at times. I need to figure out a more effective method of folding those lines that are in close proximity of each other. Overall, i'm pleased. Any mistakes i'll clean up in the finish stages.

Onto the pics!

DSCF0783.jpg

DSCF0784.jpg

DSCF0785.jpg

Now on to the right bicep. Then....Helmet time!

Update time! My progress is picking up. I find myself working harder as i complete more pieces.

The right bicep is now complete which means i'm done pepping the arm pieces.

DSCF0786.jpg

DSCF0787.jpg

DSCF0788.jpg

And to keep pace with my LED and fan thread I'll start the helmet on Monday.

Thanks for reading! Any comments are welcome!

SpartanCOG said:
Evn though its md it looks awesome! keep it up and you'll have a top notch piece in no time!

The shoulders and the hand plates are not med def. They're high def. Only the forearms were med def.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back