XBOX 360 VS PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
next-stage said:
all i got from that was that they wrere generaly the same exept in a few small areas in different games
Which is kind of what I've always thought. Game developers making a game for multiple consoles aren't going to go above and beyond for one console just to "take advantage" of their hardware. They're going to make the same game for each system, but of course different platforms are going to look a little different.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS3 exclusives normally have better graphics than 360 Exclusive, but only on HD Tv's.
That's what I've been reading in various gaming mags.
Most people don't own HD Tv's yet, so if you want to buy a PS3 because it has better graphics, then get a HighDef as well.

Those pics were quite interesting. :)
Thought provoking almost.

Depends on how the game maker makes the graphics and textures, if they go all out and make the game originally for 360, of course it will be better, because then they will be lazy and just port the game to the ps3 without redoing much stuff and making it use the power of the ps3, but in terms of power, looking at both systems, if we said they were cars, the 360 would be a mustang with a v8, the ps3 would be like a camaro, v8, but alot stronger, then the game is like the driver, the driver can drive both cars at 50mph and not be using their true power.

AoBfrost said:
Depends on how the game maker makes the graphics and textures, if they go all out and make the game originally for 360, of course it will be better, because then they will be lazy and just port the game to the ps3 without redoing much stuff and making it use the power of the ps3, but in terms of power, looking at both systems, if we said they were cars, the 360 would be a mustang with a v8, the ps3 would be like a camaro, v8, but alot stronger, then the game is like the driver, the driver can drive both cars at 50mph and not be using their true power.

Now that is an analogy I can respect...

If you really wanted to compare the two systems based off those pictures, 360 clearly wins and the review of the images proves it.
---
Both systems have fairly similar graphics in Need for Speed Carbon, but the Xbox 360 has better lighting while the PS3 has sharper textures. The 360 has better high dynamic range lighting in the Camaro image. We're not sure if the PS3 version blurs the background tree leaves on purpose, but it's another noticeable difference. The lighting in the street shot appears more realistic on the 360, but the building textures are sharper on the PS3. We also seem to be missing some lighting and a few landmarks in the rearview mirror of the PS3 version.
---
Did anyone really read that? Looking at the images myself I did notice the blur the PS3 had in more than one picture, expect the one street photo the article talks about the building textures, but other than that sharper textures my butt. Personally, I don't have anything against the PS3 or it's potential. But in a market where speed is a factor, the easier to use less expensive items that get on the market slightly before the rest usually win out, i.e. - Xbox 360. I would of been more apt to buying a PS3 had they not stuck the Blu-ray drive in it. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are going to have a long war on the shelves, but I'm putting my money on HD-DVD.

Some of you might think I have something against Sony, well you're right. I hate Microsoft and Sony, but Microsoft, to me, is the lesser of two evils. It's like the Devil and Azazel, who's really more evil? If you're familiar with video equipment, or basically any electronics Sony has ever made they maybe you understand why I say this if not don't ask me to explain it. If Microsoft and Sony both feel off the earth, I wouldn't be to heart broken for either one, but I'd rather see Sony go first.

:mad: , sorry for the rant but I just needed to get that off my chest.

PS - I have an HDTV... :p ...and all my games look awesome on it with the 360.

AoBfrost said:
I want a system that will work, not give me christmas lights after 2 months.

Mine has worked fine for almost two years now (mine turns 2 in april, b-day party for the 360, jk). I'll probably buy the elite and sell this one, as I don't need two 360's, before it ever craps out. The people whose 360's crap out on them, ask them how many times they carried it over to a friends or plane just traveled around with it. It's not designed to be portalable, and I bet you'll find that most people who did this are the one's having problems. You don't lug around you desktop tower when you want to go over to a friends place do you? Same difference. I actually take care of my electronics especially when I pay a few hundred dollars for it. I will admit that some of the newer exclusive titles for the PS3 have me interested, but it's like when I bought my PS2 for the Final Fantasy games(I've played them since the first one on Nintendo and then Sony stole them). I don't doubt that when the PS3 falls well below what I think it's really worth buying for, I may break down and buy it for a few of the titles, but not until then. Remember, I don't really hate PS3, I hate Sony.

I'm done now, as you will think what you want and so will I. Neither of us will change the others mind.

I dunno if 360 can said that it clearly wins because both do things better:

From what I saw 360 has more atmospheric effects and some particle fx and richer red tones and less texture stretching and seams a bit sharper.

the PS3 has an overall blue tone, and does much better when it comes to reflections, realistic light diffusion and some area of bump mapping.

In the end to me, I don't really care who has a bigger "pee-pee". You can throw specs and processor power at me all you want, the bottom line for me is great games I can play more than once.

Skullcandy Girl said:
In the end to me, I don't really care who has a bigger "pee-pee". You can throw specs and processor power at me all you want, the bottom line for me is great games I can play more than once.

Haha, you make a good point there, but this really isn't about a pissing contest. But as far as games go, I'd say that PS(whatever#) still doesn't have the number of games that are attractive to me, new or old, to commit me to buying their new hardware as soon as it comes out. Playstation did however shot themselves in the foot by not making the PS3 backwards compatible with all their old games. The 360 has and is continuing to do so, as well as Nintendo with the Wii(can't wait to get one and play all the old games). Yes, no one system is a clear winner in separate categories, but over all I'd say the 360 wins with functionality, usefulness, adaptability, and just plain awesome games. Let's wait and see how long it takes Playstation to come out with more good games before we make a final decision, because as we all know it took the 360 a little while to get the ball rolling as far as games were concerned.

AoBfrost said:
I want a system that will work, not give me christmas lights after 2 months.
You're on the wrong forum to make a remark like that.

As far as I can tell, I don't think either system has a power advantage. Its like comparing a Ferrari Enzo to a Lambo Murcialago. One is a little faster than the other, but both will make you poop your pants.

23Magnum said:
Haha, you make a good point there, but this really isn't about a pissing contest. But as far as games go, I'd say that PS(whatever#) still doesn't have the number of games that are attractive to me, new or old, to commit me to buying their new hardware as soon as it comes out. Playstation did however shot themselves in the foot by not making the PS3 backwards compatible with all their old games. The 360 has and is continuing to do so, as well as Nintendo with the Wii(can't wait to get one and play all the old games). Yes, no one system is a clear winner in separate categories, but over all I'd say the 360 wins with functionality, usefulness, adaptability, and just plain awesome games. Let's wait and see how long it takes Playstation to come out with more good games before we make a final decision, because as we all know it took the 360 a little while to get the ball rolling as far as games were concerned.

I agree with you 100% on PS3's lack of games. Heavenly Sword was lame as hell, I want MGS4, DMC4 and RE5, which aren't slated to come out til next year. And the Wii is SOOOOOO worth every penny! I had a Turbo Grafix 16, and I've been playing the hell outta those games, and the old sega games and my Gamecube titles. Wii is straight up gamer sex (well for those of us that remember old skool games). I'm getting Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles and Tomb Raider Anniversary today :D I also played with the Wii zapper at a Nintendo Press Junket, and the Zelda game that comes with it is WICKED fun :D

Do you know how old this "example" is?

December 2006.

It's comparing PS3 launch ports to games that were built for the 360...of course they are going to look better on the 360.

It's a different ball game currently. Heavenly Sword looks better than any game on 360 save for Gears of War.

4ng31 said:
Heavenly Sword looks better than any game on 360 save for Gears of War.

You need to play Timeshift, the rain itself is amazing.

23Magnum said:
You need to play Timeshift, the rain itself is amazing.

My initial interest in TimeShift was high, but it faded after the constant delays and dev problems. Did it turn out anywhere near as good as it originally looked? (aka, worth 60 bucks?)

4ng31 said:
My initial interest in TimeShift was high, but it faded after the constant delays and dev problems. Did it turn out anywhere near as good as it originally looked? (aka, worth 60 bucks?)

I intially didn't recognize it from the original look it had before. Let's just say it was a good thing they ditched the old game completely and basically started over. Game play is pretty fun and doesn't feel as some PC ports do when they cross over to console. It's feels like they made it for the 360, but I also played the demo on a PC and it was just as good. I don't doubt the delayed release for the PS3 is due to needing extra time to burn copies of the game to work with stupid Blu-Ray. Over all, I say it's a good buy for what ever system you want to play on, I just wonder if you'll be able to play across systems online. I doubt it, but the multiplayer sounds good either way. I'm still playing the single player for the second day, so it seems to be longer than Halo 3. Fans of Halo should be able to pick it up pretty quickly and find it very similar besides the twist that you're messing with time. Sort of like Halo meets Prince of Persia, and just as fun.

Xbox Live.. 5 years later and 8million subscribers!!.. Can't go wrong with that, and oh I was a xbox live beta tester here in Seattle :lol:

darthmaddy said:
You're on the wrong forum to make a remark like that.
As far as I can tell, I don't think either system has a power advantage. Its like comparing a Ferrari Enzo to a Lambo Murcialago. One is a little faster than the other, but both will make you poop your pants.
Yea that is true, the only thing I really would absolutely love would for people with ps3's and 360's to play the same game against each other, like cod4, same game, but doesnt work because they are different systems and use different methods of connecting, ps3's runs directly from ea's servers, but the 360's run through xbox live then to ea's servers if i am correct, if not, there should be a upgrade to where you can join a server a xbox user is playing on, while your on a ps3.

preskewl said:
Xbox Live.. 5 years later and 8million subscribers!!.. Can't go wrong with that, and oh I was a xbox live beta tester here in Seattle :lol:

I was a beta tester here in central PA, unfortunatly I was connected through my college's network which limits bandwidth to each person on campus. It was near impossible to play anything other than MotoGP and even then you still saw people flying all over the screen, haha. It sure has come a long way. Now, I have cable, and my next move is T1 once I finally own a place of my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back