Yayap The Grunt and Fuel Rod Cannon

BansheeRose

Starting January I will begin on my cosplay of Yayap the Grunt, not to be mistaken for Yapyap. This will be the most challenging cosplay I have ever had the pleasure of making due to the all the new skills it will require me to learn and apply. I will be learning 3d modeling, electronics, silicone molding, latex FX makeup, furry appendage techniques, and more that I haven't thought of yet. There is a lot of experimentation that will be going into this cosplay. I have to find a way to do the skin texture without it being too rigid so it doesn't prevent my movement or cause me to overheat. I have to find a way to defuse the lights in the mask. This will be a fully wearable cosplay so it will not be 100% simply because I do not have the same proportions of a Grunt. I am so excited yet intimidated to get started. Stay tuned for more detailed building plans and progress posts. I will however, not be posting everything here, some things are to be revealed at the Halo World Championship in 2024, fingers crossed I have it done by then.

screenshot-2023-11-24-191740-png.338985

So far I have gotten started on the blueprint for the Fuel Rod Cannon. I decided on this weapon because, well why not? I've already built a gravity hammer why not another inconveniently large prop? In terms of size, it is most likely going to be smaller than in-game since in-game it is over 4 feet tall, and while I want it to be comically big, I want it to be manageable at conventions and fit in my car without having to disassemble it because there isn't an easy way to achieve disassembly with a weapon of its shape. I use Inkscape to make my patterns. Having digital patterns ensures that each piece will be made to the proper size and you can keep printing it out as much as you need. I prefer my 2d blueprints to Pepakura patterns simply because of how I visual my prop making process and it's how I learned to make props in my early cosplay years. The next month will be dedicated solely to pattern making and planning. I want to go into this project with a thorough plan. Thank you for your encouragement!

Screenshot 2023-11-24 185853.png

I will be learning 3d modeling, electronics, silicone molding, latex FX makeup, furry appendage techniques, and more that I haven't thought of yet.
That's... that's a lot to learn. Just reading that line is stressin me out lol. But I'm sure that you'll take you time and learn all of these things to make a fantastic cosplay. It sounds like you're doing a lot of things for the first time! Best of luck on this really cool build! I'm looking forward to seeing what you learn :)

That's... that's a lot to learn. Just reading that line is stressin me out lol. But I'm sure that you'll take you time and learn all of these things to make a fantastic cosplay. It sounds like you're doing a lot of things for the first time! Best of luck on this really cool build! I'm looking forward to seeing what you learn :)
It feels like when I started cosplay all over again with so many new things to learn, after 7 years I still have a long way to go! Thank you for your support :)

A couple things I want to add as precursors to this build is that I need to make this cosplay as cheaply as possible due to my circumstances and I have to make it as comfortable as possible to wear due to my issues with overstimulation and fatigue. Because of that I will have to make some sacrifices when it comes to materials and using up what I have on hand. I also will not be able to purchase a 3d printer for this project either, it is still something I have to save up for so I'm limiting the amount of 3d printed parts I am using because I will likely be using a friend's 3d printer and do not want to take up their printers for an extended period of time. Now for comfortability I am trying to decide how I want to accomplish, or if I even include, an Unggoy face underneath the mask. I get overstimulated just from wearing face paint so I'm afraid to dabble in FX makeup and I cannot see myself being able to realistically create a full Grunt head to wear underneath the mask and have it not be too heavy. (I get chronic headaches so I try to limit how much I wear on my head because even a headband can lead to me getting a headache and that would be no fun at a convention). A lot of things to deliberate on.

I am deciding on the level of rigidity for the arms and legs of Yayap. Parts if it look almost...crab like with the spikes along the edge but there is also a scaly lizard like component. Whatever materials I use, I don't want it to be too heavy and getting the texture just right is going to be tricky.
Screenshot_20231128-174938_Google.jpg

I am deciding on the level of rigidity for the arms and legs of Yayap. Parts if it look almost...crab like with the spikes along the edge but there is also a scaly lizard like component. Whatever materials I use, I don't want it to be too heavy and getting the texture just right is going to be tricky.
View attachment 339118
i would say just make the arm the shape you see it as and then add little foam bit to the arm to give it the crab look just my two cents.

i would say just make the arm the shape you see it as and then add little foam bit to the arm to give it the crab look just my two cents.
My plan is to use upholstery foam to create the main body of the arms and then cover it with fabric, I'm still deciding on the type of fabric because I need it to be thick enough it doesn't show the imperfections of the upholstery foam but not so thick it creates wrinkles. And on top of that I have to find something super tight knit so it doesn't look like fabric and instead looks like skin that I can also paint. If I can't find a fabric that would achieve this, I would definitely opt for foam clay but I'm just worried it would be too heavy and also impair the breathability, which is really important to my comfort. Just lots of stuff to consider but foam is definitely going to be a component at least for the spikes.

I don't think you should worry about wrinkles - in fact, I think you should embrace them. They would definitely add some more organic texture. This video from Punished Props creates an organic texture with fabric for a symbiote which you may be able to grab some ideas from:

So, after watching the punished props video, I think I can definitely go with latex. I was really apprehensive to this decision originally because I was afraid that the latex would crack or get soaked up too much by the fabric but I think it's something worth looking into and experimenting with! Ooh I'm getting excited to get started and if I use latex I can some money by using some left over fabric I have laying around! The latex will definitely be an investment but it's a good trade off.

I am currently taking on sewing project at the moment because with all the foam work I've been doing since July I was really craving some sewing so I am expanding my fantasy Rose Quartz cosplay. So, the next progress update for my Grunt build may not be for a while but I will try my best to pop in here and there to discuss further techniques I plan on using. And then perhaps I'll work on coming up with a timeline to try and stick to with scheduled working times because I have to do everything possible to avoid burnout which would halt my progress entirely. I am also struggling financially, so that will also take up a portion of my time. Do I think I can build this entire thing by the time October rolls around despite my current outlook? Yes. I built my Gravity Hammer in three weeks with a self made pattern and no other guidance except for google references. I have made a shield from start to finish in only three days that even lights up. I completed the entire leg armor of my last Spartan build in two weeks before a con without any premade patterns. I built my ODST helmet in roughly a week and the rest of the armor in less than 3 months. (This is me hyping myself up, I don't have room for self doubt. I can do this!)

Sort of a bit of a planning/health update, I have been experiencing extensive nerve pain the last few weeks from doing things a simple as hand sewing and crocheting. I do not know how this will entirely affect my build process when I start on my Grunt project but I may have to start trimming down some of the things I have planned and prioritize main components. I still want there to be a particular level of uniqueness in some of my techniques so rather than eliminating these techniques all together, I'll approach them in a more simplified manner, especially when it comes to things like electronics and LEDs, because I have absolutely 0 experience with those and I rather avoid the extensive mental strain that will add hours to my build process. I will also be limiting my work time to no more than 4 hours in a single day, not doing any work after 6pm, and dedicating 4 days a week at most with long rest periods and time reserved to money making endeavors. I'm writing all this out sort of as a remind for myself of where I am physically and mentally. I am notorious for pushing myself too far when it comes to my cosplay projects and I don't want to experience that this time around. I want every little detail to be intentional, planned, and taken slowly not only to give my body necessary rest but to also improve my work because patience is incredibly important when it comes to cosplay and trying to do too much all at once is one of the biggest mistakes you can make.

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back