Your Captain's Mark VII build!! :D

However, I'll actually disagree with your take on using PETG over PLA. I've used both for a while now, and the results I've gotten from PETG are truly mixed at best. I find it to be just too unstable of a filament to print large items with

Context:
Not looking to fight with anyone. Didn't take that as a challenge or anything. Not looking to tell anyone what to do. Just sharing my own experiences and let others do what they want with that. Maybe you give the material another try. Maybe you just jump over it for something else. Maybe you stick with PLA. So long as you're happy, I'm happy for you.

I find that in life we all form our opinions based on our experiences. One person will love Ford and had nothing but great trucks. The next person got 3 lemons in a row and is certain they're trash. We all only know what we live through. You've had some bad experiences with PETG for reasons I don't know: Settings, brand, bad batch, old stock, machine not designed for it... Could be any number of factors. And I'm sorry those experiences colored your view of the material. I've used it as my go-to material except where something else was a more appropriate material for a specific reason, for... 8-ish (?) years or so. Its always treated me well and I've had no reason to consider it 'unstable'. I'll still use PLA in specific use-cases like the silk-silver or silk-gold makes really nice pins, badges, rank insignia etc. I have no hatred for the material, I just use it where I find it to the right material, just like using ASA where its the right material, but not for everything. I just default to PETG until I have a reason to choose something else.

I find it to be just too unstable of a filament to print large items with
Here the helmet and rifle are resin printed, the rest of the suit is all PETG. Yep all the big pieces chest, back, thighs, shins... all PETG.
IMG_6689.JPG

For a better look, here's a thigh and shin, un-sanded. The only clean up was support removal so I could slide them on without ruining the morph suit.
1693343126212.png

I have to say I was surprised to read N8TEBB 's experience that even Canadian summers, that I would call 'mild' by Arizona standards were enough to ruin his prop guns. That's the kind of first-hand real-world experience you can't buy and can't actually **experience** unless you're there. So thanks for sharing that with us all.

Attachments

• 1693343834492.png
    1693343834492.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
Context:
Not looking to fight with anyone.
Sorry, may have come off as a bit hostile, didn't mean it like that! I'm hella jealous that you're cruising with PETG for larger parts, would love to know any specific parameters you run so I can maybe give it another go!
The GEN 3 armor looks great!

I have to say I was surprised to read @N8TEBB 's experience that even Canadian summers, that I would call 'mild' by Arizona standards were enough to ruin his prop guns. That's the kind of first-hand real-world experience you can't buy and can't actually **experience** unless you're there. So thanks for sharing that with us all.
Just a note on this, it's not necessarily the air temperature that caused my printed guns to warp, more likely the hot concrete/asphalt they were on. Using a PLA prop outside in the sun is fine, but if left on asphalt or sand in the sun, or in a greenhouse environment like a clear bin or hot car, they're at risk of warping.

If I have to set something down for a while I like to do that on the grass, preferably in the shade. I guess a good rule of thumb is if it's too hot to walk on in bare feet, it's too hot for a prop XD

I always learn some new tips when I read a post from SgtSaint . You're always very through in you responses. Glad to have you part of the community!

If I have to set something down for a while I like to do that on the grass, preferably in the shade. I guess a good rule of thumb is if it's too hot to walk on in bare feet, it's too hot for a prop XD
That sounds very much like the advice I tell customers/others: Treat printed items like pets and kids. You don't leave them to cook in the car or sun etc. Its at the bottom of every packing slip. It hadn't occurred to me that asphalt or beach were common conditions... in hind sight it makes sense though. Just depends on where you live. Doesn't take much imagination to consider a photo shoot at the top of a parking structure or a dramatic canyon, ya stop to think about it. Thanks for that!
1693427816170.png

i dont feel too comfy w electronics, the original plan was to mess with one of these masks:
View attachment 335068
to fit the visor but i dont think id be good enough with electronics to change it
That's completely fair! the mask is a good choice then, if your feeling ballsy you might be able to trim the fabric back to hopefully gain some more visibility around the mask. I'm tempted to add the lights to my own spartan helmet ngl, its such a good idea

I wouldn't say the environment has to be too hostile for PLA to warp... I avoid leaving anything PLA in the sun for more than a few minutes because It gets soft really quick. That being said I've never used anything but PLA, but I have lost a gun or two to the heat, even in Canada.
Ive had my fair share of issues with warping, but during printing its really not bad if i have a brim and a semi high bed heat : D

still struggling with some personal issues irl, ill try my best to start the scaling and printing sometime soon but i dont rlly have the time, power, or motivation to right now :/ sorry

Hey, no need to apologize! Life happens. We'll be here when you're in a good place to pick it back up!
A. thank you! ill be back when life dies down : ) B. if youre the spartan from the "love you to the moon and back kiddo" video i also want to thank you for that vid too, ik its cliche and stuff but it was rlly sweet <3 if ur not that spartan i like ur armor!

Lifes been calming down and im finally feeling motivation again ! : D But with that comes motivation... and now im considering adding some titanfall pieces to my suit! The fixing of the servers has renewed my love for the game that slowly burned out over time, and playing it again ive come to rediscover my love for it! Maybe changing the helmet to my titanfall helmet? adding a jumpkit or titanfall weapon to the waist? Maybe all 3? Maybe! : D

Forgot to add! my grandpa gave me his old walkman, and ive been cassette collecting since, so i may find a way to add that to the suit too! probably a strap on the chestplate or belt piece! : D

Forgot to add! my grandpa gave me his old walkman, and ive been cassette collecting since, so i may find a way to add that to the suit too! probably a strap on the chestplate or belt piece! : D
Titanfall parts with a Walkman? Thats gotta be the most unique combination I’ve ever heard of… love it!

Turns out, new inspiration has come to light and now I'm planning on changing ALOT of my armor... So now im considering making a new thread but idk if A. thats the right choice, B. thats annoying to everyone else
I especially want to restart this thread to make the next one more organized, both with my armor and the fact half this thread is people talking about 3d printer settings

I especially want to restart this thread to make the next one more organized, both with my armor and the fact half this thread is people talking about 3d printer settings
In my opinion I’d keep it, lots of discussions happen on these threads so don’t worry about it. you also get to look back on the whole process, not just the section after some major changes. Up to you, just my thoughts!

In my opinion I’d keep it, lots of discussions happen on these threads so don’t worry about it. you also get to look back on the whole process, not just the section after some major changes. Up to you, just my thoughts!
thats fair but im kinda like restarting and changing the entire process so idk itd be a lot cleaner to see without going through an entire scrapped suit

This thread is more than 6 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back