Pyronari's Mark VI HD Build Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
this the color I think will be as close as I can get to Master Chiefs suit color. I am still going to look around but thought i would post it and see what you guys think. If you have suggestions I am happy to hear them, but keep in mind I would prefer to airbrush it over buying spray paint.

Olive-Drab.gif

I think it looks pretty close to what longshot-x used. Here is a pic of what longshot-x used on his build I pulled the pic from his build pages.

Longshot.jpg

That colour looks great to me, what is its name? But keep in mind that it will look different after blackwash and weathering (assuming you do that).
Keep the updates coming, the pepping is looking good so far.

That colour looks great to me, what is its name? But keep in mind that it will look different after blackwash and weathering (assuming you do that).
Keep the updates coming, the pepping is looking good so far.

I do plan on weathering the armor and making it look battle hardened. However I am unsure what Blackwash is could you elaborate please, or give a link to a article in the forum. I am unfamiliar with that term and its meaning.

as far as the color, I used this site to find colors. The color in particular is called olive drab. the color is made by Pactra Paints its #RC5906.

Here is the site i was using to look for paint colors for airbrushing.

http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Airbrush/Pactra/US-Army-Navy/Olive-Drab/Olive-Drab.html

I do plan on weathering the armor and making it look battle hardened. However I am unsure what Blackwash is could you elaborate please, or give a link to a article in the forum. I am unfamiliar with that term and its meaning.

Adam has a great painting tutorial on youtube in which he shows how he paints his armour. http://www.youtube.com/user/gametavern#p/a/u/2/Tp0ryRdFoRg
He starts the blackwash around 5:30

As I understand it, blackwashing is used to make the suit look dirty and worn. The idea is to take black paint (usualy acrylic) and water it down in a cup. Apply the paint/water to the recessed areas in your armour using a sponge, rag, brush, etc. Wipe it away with a clean rag or paper towel. This gives the impression that dirt has been trapped in those hard to clean areas and makes it look like your armour has been through alot. Hope that helps.

Edit: The Painting Help Sticky is a great place to get more painting info too.

this the color I think will be as close as I can get to Master Chiefs suit color. I am still going to look around but thought i would post it and see what you guys think. If you have suggestions I am happy to hear them, but keep in mind I would prefer to airbrush it over buying spray paint.

Olive-Drab.gif

I think it looks pretty close to what longshot-x used. Here is a pic of what longshot-x used on his build I pulled the pic from his build pages.

Longshot.jpg

The color that I used was "Oregano Satin". Olive Drab will work, its a bit darker compared to the oregano satin. :)

Excellent progress. :)

Adam has a great painting tutorial on youtube in which he shows how he paints his armour. http://www.youtube.com/user/gametavern#p/a/u/2/Tp0ryRdFoRg
He starts the blackwash around 5:30

As I understand it, blackwashing is used to make the suit look dirty and worn. The idea is to take black paint (usualy acrylic) and water it down in a cup. Apply the paint/water to the recessed areas in your armour using a sponge, rag, brush, etc. Wipe it away with a clean rag or paper towel. This gives the impression that dirt has been trapped in those hard to clean areas and makes it look like your armour has been through alot. Hope that helps.

Edit: The Painting Help Sticky is a great place to get more painting info too.

thank for the link that video was helpful, I definitely like the effect that creates.

I was looking for stuff in the painting sticky, but it is more of random questions on different topics as is a headache to try and browse all those pages. I ended up getting frustrated at not finding what i wanted and went to the net in search of info instead.

Its my favorite time, update time. Both Shoulders and Forearm's have a coat of resin on the outside and are ready for a 2nd coat of resin on the outside and to be fiber-glassed on the inside. That will have to wait till next week when i get paid, as i ran out of resin. The helmet I did a 2nd coat of resin on the outside, and fiber-glassed the inside. I then applied bondo on the outside of the helmet. the pics below are of the helmet. It is still pretty rough because i wanted you guys to see the before pics all roughed up so you can compare the cleaned up and sanded ones after i sand it.

I wont to add a note to those that are following my build. The foamies i used for detail on the helmet didnt work as well as i had hoped. The initial thought was that the foam would soak up the resin and become very hard. This was not the case. I ended up applying bondo over the foams to help add strength to it. I will update everyone on how well that works. If pressure applied cracks the bondo then i will remove them all and build up bondo in the areas, or use something else to sculpt the detail i want. I will keep everyone updated so you know if foamies work or not.

now for the pics.

HFB1-5.jpg

HFB1-4.jpg

HFB1-3.jpg

HFB1-2.jpg

HFB1-1.jpg

ill update soon as i finish sanding, as you can see, got lots of work to do :)

What are you using to smooth on the body filler?
Might i suggest cutting up ice cream containers into 2"x2" squares?

for the first coat of body filler that is on there now was applied using my finger for the second coat ill use a small trowel or one of the many tongue depressors I have that I use to mix the bondo or the resin. that way im only filling the small spaces that need it. The first coat i did pretty liberally so i could get the curves i desired out of it. Im already sanding it and its coming along pretty good.

also if you noticed i stopped using my phone for pics, and used a real camera. they look much better :)

Your Bucket Pep build looks great!

OMG, sanding that will not be fun... Remember to apply smooth coats when using Bondo, it will cause for less stress when sanding. :) "just a tip from someone who has used bondo before" :)

well I am done sanding the first coat used a 80 grit sandpaper and it is very smooth. Tomorrow I will apply another thin coat of bondo to fill in any little pits that are there. I will then sand it with a 400 and 800 grit sandpaper and get it ready for a coat of primer.

HBCS1-7.jpg

HBCS1-6.jpg

HBCS1-5.jpg

HBCS1-4.jpg

HBCS1-3.jpg

HBCS1-2.jpg

HBCS1-1.jpg

also at one end; I plan on using smooth coats next time as easy as it was to sand, it could have been a lot easier and less time consuming.

Just an idea to throw out there...after I finished with my 80 grit sanding and made sure all the gouges and pits were filled I used Bondo's Glazing and Spot putty that comes in a little tube. Put that stuff on, wait 20 minutes, then sand with 400 grit sand paper. It sands easy and fills imperfections that the thicker Bondo can never seem to fix. Good work so far on the helmet!

Just an idea to throw out there...after I finished with my 80 grit sanding and made sure all the gouges and pits were filled I used Bondo's Glazing and Spot putty that comes in a little tube. Put that stuff on, wait 20 minutes, then sand with 400 grit sand paper. It sands easy and fills imperfections that the thicker Bondo can never seem to fix. Good work so far on the helmet!

Thank you for the tip. I did do a thin coat of bondo but i still need to sand it. If there are still little spots ill definately use that. I do just happen to be going to the store today for more resin and bondo so ill pick some up. Im looking forward to finishing the sanding and priming the helmet tonight.

Im looking forward to finishing the sanding and priming the helmet tonight.

And we are looking forward to the update!

It is great following WIP threads that post pictures on a regular basis, and you not only post lots but from all different angles. Thank you for keeping us all up to speed on your progress.

PS: what are your cats named?

Great progress. Your pep work is great. Very clean.

Just a tip on applying Bondo: try using thickly mixed Rondo (combination of resin and bondo) as the shaping medium. It goes on a lot smoother than strait Bondo, and it's a bit easier to sand. Just mix a little bit of resin and bondo in a cup, stir it up, add the hardners, stir it up some more, and the apply it with a paintbrush. Don't add a lot of resin to the mix. You want it to be really thick. It should be a little easier to stir than soft ice cream.

And we are looking forward to the update!

It is great following WIP threads that post pictures on a regular basis, and you not only post lots but from all different angles. Thank you for keeping us all up to speed on your progress.

PS: what are your cats named?

Seeing as you asked, Here are some pics of my cats as well as their names. Jack was the first one pictured in my pep photos looking at the codpiece and the left shin i believe. Koga was the 2nd one inspecting my helmet during my pics. ( I started using their cat tree to take pics on and they are curious what the stuff is when i put it on there).

IMG_0665.jpg

this one is silver He is the dad to Jack and Koga. He is a well mannered lap kitty. He is my wifes cat, he ignores me unless he is hungry.

IMG_0603.jpg

this one is koga

IMG_0548.jpg

this one i named Lucky. I rescued him from my work, he was a wild cat that had gotten burned from the exhaust on one of my work trucks. I captured the injured kitty and took him to the vet and cared for him while he healed. It took like 2.5 months to heal so I kept him because he liked our home.

P4220031.jpg

This is ISIS she is the only female cat. She makes such funny faces when you screw with her. Never known another cat to be able to give off human like emotion with their facial gestures. She is also the mother of Jack and Koga.

P4300051.jpg

this is Jack he is borderline retarded but he is a great cat.

well its off topic but hey its my thread lol. Now you all got to learn a little more about me or my cats anyhow.

Stuff works Great thank you for the tip. Ill get pics up later today once it gets lighter out so i have better light for the photos.

Great progress. Your pep work is great. Very clean.

Just a tip on applying Bondo: try using thickly mixed Rondo (combination of resin and bondo) as the shaping medium. It goes on a lot smoother than strait Bondo, and it's a bit easier to sand. Just mix a little bit of resin and bondo in a cup, stir it up, add the hardners, stir it up some more, and the apply it with a paintbrush. Don't add a lot of resin to the mix. You want it to be really thick. It should be a little easier to stir than soft ice cream.

Ill give that a try Ive wanted to try playing with rondo as ill need to use on the it for a epic needler build i have planned. Ill definately try it as a build up I have about 4 pieces that will be ready for that tomarrow so well see how it does.

well I got it sanded and primed. I left some spots looking a little rough to help with the look i want of battle worn armor. When its painted and the detailing added it should look pretty good.

P1120011.jpg

P1120010.jpg

P1120009.jpg

P1120008.jpg

P1120007.jpg

P1120006.jpg

I decided to after a failed fiber-glassing on one of the shoulder pieces. to use rondo instead of fiber-glassing. My reasoning is this. One its easier. I know its less durable, however I plan to wear this 1 time to the Halo 4 release. Other than that the whole point of this project was to buy a manikin and put the armor on it so i have a Spartan Statue in my Game room. I also live in a apartment and do not have the space or a place to fiber-glass properly such as a work room with a bench to use as a work space.

I do have 1 question to those who are reading this. Has anyone ever tried tacking the fiberglass cloth to the armor piece with glue then applying rondo over it. It was a thought i had, i have a 2nd helmet i been using for testing stuff on so i might try it on that and see how it works. My theory is that it will work like concrete that has re-bar in it and it will be stronger but the test will tell unless some one has tried this and can tell me the effect it has.

any way once i rondo the 4 pieces I am working on and bondo the outside, ill post more pics.

p.s. also i do realize i need to fix the back of the helmet on the right side as the detail got messed up.

I do have 1 question to those who are reading this. Has anyone ever tried tacking the fiberglass cloth to the armor piece with glue then applying rondo over it. It was a thought i had, i have a 2nd helmet i been using for testing stuff on so i might try it on that and see how it works. My theory is that it will work like concrete that has re-bar in it and it will be stronger but the test will tell unless some one has tried this and can tell me the effect it has.

What you are refering to is called 'mud glassing'. Tandhem posted a tutorial here and he made a youtube video here demonstrating the process. I haven't watched the whole thing all the way through, but I noticed he is not using a respirator which is a bad idea.

My understanding is that you want to apply the fibreglass after the first layer of rondo goes in but before it hardens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back