Pyronari's Mark VI HD Build Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you are refering to is called 'mud glassing'. Tandhem posted a tutorial here and he made a youtube video here demonstrating the process. I haven't watched the whole thing all the way through, but I noticed he is not using a respirator which is a bad idea.

My understanding is that you want to apply the fibreglass after the first layer of rondo goes in but before it hardens.

I tried that for my thighs that I rushed to finish. It felt more solid and less prone to cracking in the areas that I tried it such as the large panels along the sides. However, since I didn't use it for the whole piece the edges were very weak and have since cracked or broken. In other words it really only seems effective if you overlap the fiberglass cloth over most of the piece in which case you might as well just go resin.

Well I decided just to continue fiber glassing the stuff I did the inside of the forearms ans shoulders. Tomorrow i will add 1 more coat of resin on the outside then bondo and sand them then ill get some pictures up. Also I decided I am not really happy with the details on the helmet. They have just been bothering me with how the back of the neck piece looked after a coat of paint. So tomorrow or over the next few days ill be removing all the detail parts I put on and redoing them. This time ill be cutting the details i want out of card stock and layering it. I will then coat the new detail parts and the whole helmet with a new coat of resin. After that ill bondo as needed and sand and re prime. Ill post pictures as I go so you all can see the progress.

well Final update for this particular post. I have been looking at my pieces Ive done and while they look good. I have have been bothered by the idea that I personally feel I could do better. At the end of project, or any piece that I make I should have the great satisfaction that i did the best I could. As such I think I can do much much better, and create a elite master piece i can be proud of.

that being said This current project got destroyed last night. I am starting over from scratch. I will be doing things differently this time and take what i learned from this project. I feel I had Great practice and will be able to create a spectacular suit using what i have learned.

that being said i do have one question, how do i delete a thread? I plan to use a new thread for the new project once i get it goin

I think I would leave it up rather than ask for it to be deleted, but it is your call seeing as you started the tread. Send a PM to one of the moderators explaining why you want the tread deleted if you really want it gone.

If it was my WIP I would just continue in this thread because it is basically the same project, even if you are starting over. You even pointed out that this was good practice. But that is just my two cents, do whatever you think is best, I will be following your progress regardless of what thread it is posted in.

This project was already looking cleaner than some finished suits I've seen, so if you are going to make an even better looking one... I can't wait to see your next set of pictures!!!

Well its that time again, I am back on the project. I am going to be taking my time and doing it here and there. I will also be doing it 1 piece at a time all the way to priming. that way when all pieces are there, I can paint them all and assemble and have a nice looking suit. Led lights will also probably the last thing i do. Anyways the first piece I am doing is the helmet, I Believe it to be the Single most important piece as it will help sell the rest. I do want to apologize, it will be very picture heavy from this point on. First piece up will be the helmet.

P1240025.jpg

P1240024.jpg

P1240026.jpg

P1240027.jpg

P1240028.jpg

P1010032.jpg

P1010031.jpg

P1010030.jpg

P1010029.jpg

this is the flying squirrel helmet which looks better than the ther model I did. Oddly enough I feel it was easier to assemble.

And Finally the helmet with some details and should be ready to resin. I do have to look it over really well 1 Time before i resin to make sure there are no flaws or Warping. What i have looked at, seems to be really clean and well assembled. Let me know what you all think.

I did try to take the pictures so you could see the thickness of them that i did. I also layered them. Some i left with Under-laps so it would give the appearance of layers of material to hopefully help it seem more real.

P1010050.jpg

P1010049.jpg

P1010048.jpg

P1010047.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010045.jpg

P1010044.jpg

P1010043.jpg

Both pep and and detail work look great. Bit of advice, When you resin this one hit with 1 coat of resin on the inside and rondo it, and 2 coats of resin on the outside and sand that smooth. Then with any luck a little skim coating will make it great. When it comes to bondo, little is better.

I hope that this helps you and I look forward to seeing more from you :D

thanks for the advice. on the rondo on the inside, shouldn't i do a coat of resin, and a coat of cloth and resin first? I defiantly will be going easier on the bondo on the outside lol to much sanding last time. Im also going to buy a mouse sander as apposed to sanding by hand. also would 2 couts of resin on the outside be overkill, that was my plan as the coats seem to go on kinda thin

I don't have any personal experience with rondo, but I would do a layer of rondo before putting glass in just so that I could sand details straight through the cardstock without affecting the fiberglass. And no, I don't think two coats of resin is overkill.

The pep looks great. Do you think this model was really easier or are you just getting lots of folding practice? Either way this is looking great. Can't wait to see more!

This model is way easier than the last. The last one kept wanting to warp on the brim so it was troublesome. I really am alot happier with the current helm. It looks good. I just need to get to resin it and bondo it so I may get the piece done and move on to the next 1

Are you going to stay with the same files for your other pieces or have you been looking for other HD files for those as well?

Any thoughts about what order you will be building the pieces? Obviously the helm is first, so what's next? I cannot wait to see the helm with resin on it, this build is going to be phenomenal!

Ill be using the same files except for the Boots I will be making a 2 piece boot as opposed to the 3 piece. I will also Start with the boots and work my way up from there. I still need to order the under-suit so I want to wait on doing the chest until I have that so I can measure with it on, as opposed to guessing.

... also would 2 couts of resin on the outside be overkill, that was my plan as the coats seem to go on kinda thin

I was just reading through Longshot's WIP thread and he mentioned that he puts 3 thin coats of resin on the outside of all his pieces and 3 thicker ones one the inside before fibreglassing. His WIP is a pretty good tutorial if you have the patience to go through 94 pages of posts.

I was just reading through Longshot's WIP thread and he mentioned that he puts 3 thin coats of resin on the outside of all his pieces and 3 thicker ones one the inside before fibreglassing. His WIP is a pretty good tutorial if you have the patience to go through 94 pages of posts.

I've read all of the way through Longshot's thread. :3 He has multiple pages with little tutorials on how he did certain things like assemble his boots and the like. I constantly refer to his thread when I'm working on my suit and I recommend it for anyone who has questions about their suit productions.

And Pyronari your project looks good so far! Keep it up and good luck!

Trashed it and started again? I smell a fellow perfectionist. The best advice I've seen thus far is to read Longshot-x's thread (also a perfectionist) and fill your head with 20+ pages of juicy fiberglassing info. I trust you have done so?
Tip: When pepping use low temp hotglue so you can undo any seam that is not 100% bang on.
As far as I know you only bondo the rounded areas. The 6 total layers of resin give it strength for the glassing/bondo stage and the light coats help prevent warpage. The inside is fiberglassed for strength. The flat areas are 3 layers of resin and then paint, no bondo.
Did you find any painting tips? I have a painting guide that describes the process Longshot and I use for painting armor on this page: www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-halo-helmets as well as links to the paint we use.
The guide basically goes:
Primer (grey for Master Chief)
Color (oregano satin for Master Chief)
Flat black details and ridges
Silver drybrush edges
Weather with blackwash
Gloss coat

You're bang on track for making epic armor, pour it on marine!

Trashed it and started again? I smell a fellow perfectionist. The best advice I've seen thus far is to read Longshot-x's thread (also a perfectionist) and fill your head with 20+ pages of juicy fiberglassing info. I trust you have done so?
Tip: When pepping use low temp hotglue so you can undo any seam that is not 100% bang on.
As far as I know you only bondo the rounded areas. The 6 total layers of resin give it strength for the glassing/bondo stage and the light coats help prevent warpage. The inside is fiberglassed for strength. The flat areas are 3 layers of resin and then paint, no bondo.
Did you find any painting tips? I have a painting guide that describes the process Longshot and I use for painting armor on this page: www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-halo-helmets as well as links to the paint we use.
The guide basically goes:
Primer (grey for Master Chief)
Color (oregano satin for Master Chief)
Flat black details and ridges
Silver drybrush edges
Weather with blackwash
Gloss coat

You're bang on track for making epic armor, pour it on marine!

Ty for the comments. Ill check out your link out later.

I should have some updated pics on Sunday after i add the 3rd coat to the outside and the first inside coat applied.

thanks for the advice. on the rondo on the inside, shouldn't i do a coat of resin, and a coat of cloth and resin first? I defiantly will be going easier on the bondo on the outside lol to much sanding last time. Im also going to buy a mouse sander as apposed to sanding by hand. also would 2 couts of resin on the outside be overkill, that was my plan as the coats seem to go on kinda thin

The reason why you do a coat of rondo on the inside is so that you can sand into it to smooth out the surface and/or to add detail to you're helm, the cloth would only get in the way at this stage. As for the 2 coats of resin on the outside, 2 should make the layer just thick enuff to hid all the pep lines and/or were 2 parts come together. Depending of the model, you can get away with very little bondo on the out side of you're helm. The view that concept I rushed thru my helm to meet my deadline, I didn't use any bondo/rondo on the outside at all. So you can make a perfect looking helm with just a little more time and work into it than I did mine. Good luck.

I appriciate the explination on that. I am really hoping to get a coat or 2 on the inside and start sanding the outside and get the helmet primed. However i have to do that stuff outside and its been really cold if it warms up this weekend ill get some updated posted for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back