rainbow dash's Mark VI Armor Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you!

I don't know if it's already too late for you, but for the Mk VI armor there are some pretty awesome LD-testers out there, they're basically simplified LD files with about 50% less folds. Perfect for scaling reasons. You can easily pep a whole armor within a few days. Link is here Credits go to Mr.Oreo

I guess its too late for me since i cut left biceps and folded it already . and the codpiece too. i dont think it would look good if i do the other biceps with lower detail but hell ye i should have tryed it with those guys D:
Well nvm straight to go and looking forward to finish it asap but thank you mate for trying to help me i appreciate that!

The new thighs are fiberglassed, they fit much better now, a huge improvement in mobility. I wonder if I could scale them down to 380mm in height and still will fit. But with the new smaller thighs comes a new problem. The shins now look too big, I have to make them smaller too. :/
But before I do the detail scaling on the lower part I put my chest together.

Let the pepping begin!
chestpep.jpg

Pepping's going really slow, maybe I'm too precise ^^ I could need some motivation.

Current progress: Contrary to my plans I started in the middle, but that somehow went to the back instead of the front, yeah whatever, the back is the more difficult part, so I'm glad it's halfway done :)

slowpepping.jpg

Also I can't stop watching the new awesome Halo video :D Seen it at least 20 times since yesterday XD

There's also a version without music if you're not into DnB/Dubstep ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to show the pepped chest.

chest_front.jpg

chest_back.jpg

While putting the parts together I ran into a kinda strange problem, some parts were slightly larger than the others, also the font size of these parts were bigger. I don't know how that could happen, and why the hell I didn't notice it while cutting it out! Maybe something with the "automatically adjust scale" dialog went wrong, well I really don't know. But instead to print this parts again I managed to pep it nevertheless :D

biggerparts1.jpg

biggerparts.jpg

Current progress:
1september.png

While putting the parts together I ran into a kinda strange problem, some parts were slightly larger than the others, also the font size of these parts were bigger. I don't know how that could happen, and why the hell I didn't notice it while cutting it out! Maybe something with the "automatically adjust scale" dialog went wrong, well I really don't know. But instead to print this parts again I managed to pep it nevertheless :D

That will happen every now and then. I've noticed it myself in other models, not sure what causes it though. I'll have the first two numbers lined up perfectly, then the next is about 1/16" off, then the next is 1/8" off, etc. It's frustrating, but you seem to have overcome it well. You're doing a great job!

Long live the MK VI!

You're doing an awesome job, Rainbow Dash!

Thanks man!

That will happen every now and then. I've noticed it myself in other models, not sure what causes it though. I'll have the first two numbers lined up perfectly, then the next is about 1/16" off, then the next is 1/8" off, etc. It's frustrating, but you seem to have overcome it well. You're doing a great job!

Long live the MK VI!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this strange behavior of Pepakura Designer ^^ Despite this different-size issue the chest came out quite well and I'm satisfied with the result. It's already completely fiberglassed, like the rest of the armor, next step is to split the chest in 2 parts and put everything on, so you can get a clear impression of the proportions and how it will look in the end. I'll post pictures within the next few days. I'm really excited. :p

EDIT: Yeah, you may have noticed that the cod-area is blank again, I have to do that again because ... well, unpleasantly I have to admit that it DID warp in fact, and that splitting it BEFORE fiberglassing wasn't a good idea. :/

WoW...Your Pep Work Is Incredible..:-o Like I feel like mine looks so shitty. I hope one day I can make mine looks this clean.

WoW...Your Pep Work Is Incredible..:-o Like I feel like mine looks so shitty. I hope one day I can make mine looks this clean.

Thank you, practice makes a lot, lol. I did some pieces 3 or 4 times, well, you can say I defenitely know how to pep things ^^

But now for the important part, as I already mentioned somewhere else:
The trick is to go over the folding lines with the x-acto knife, use a ruler to draw straight lines, just hold it down very very softly, so you don't cut it off. (using thicker paper would be an asset) As a noob you can use a pencil, but with the knife it's much cleaner. Don't use a new sharp blade, use an old one that's already a little blunt, by doing so the risk off cutting/ripping some flaps off is minimized.

faltlinien.JPG

Clean folds are guaranteed

Great job there dash!

Out of curiosity... could I have the picture file for this? or did you perhaps model this, then add the color?

progress.png

Wie schaut es aus? Glaubst du noch, dass du bis zum Anfang November fertig wirst?

Wie schaut es aus? Glaubst du noch, dass du bis zum Anfang November fertig wirst?
Sieht nicht gut aus, um nicht lang groß drum herumzureden, ich schaff es wohl nicht mehr bis Anfang November. Selbst wenn ich den großteil an bondo/sanding weglasse und alles einfärbig lackiere wird's knapp, mir fehlt gerade die zeit.
Aber damit wär ich selbst nicht zufrieden, die Agentur wohl auch nicht, ein gewisser Grad an Qualität sollte schon dasein. Mich kannst du also zwecks promo (leider) abschreiben. Ich bin dann zuhause und spiel Halo 4 ^^

Thank you sir! But... the link is broken.^_^'

Aber, Sehr sehr sehr GANTZ danke Schoen! Bitte probere mein Thread an.

Well, it wasn't broken for 60 days after I posted it. Thought that'd be enough time to catch it! ^^

Uploaded it to my dropbox. Download here.

----------------------------

Just to let everyone know, I put this project on hold until spring/early summer. The reason is simply that I can't work with resin/bondo during the cold winter season. Definitely gonna finish it :)

Thank you, practice makes a lot, lol. I did some pieces 3 or 4 times, well, you can say I defenitely know how to pep things ^^

But now for the important part, as I already mentioned somewhere else:
The trick is to go over the folding lines with the x-acto knife, use a ruler to draw straight lines, just hold it down very very softly, so you don't cut it off. (using thicker paper would be an asset) As a noob you can use a pencil, but with the knife it's much cleaner. Don't use a new sharp blade, use an old one that's already a little blunt, by doing so the risk off cutting/ripping some flaps off is minimized.

Clean folds are guaranteed

I always scored my lines with a knife rather than pressing down hard with a pen/pencil, but i found that I could save a lot of time just freehanding them. It stays within the dashed line most of the time, and almost never deviates more than a single line's thickness. As for valley folds, it doesn't get a very crisp edge once folded, unless you've scored very deeply, so what I do is make 5-10 stabs along the line, flip it over, and join the dots. Once you get the angle right from the first 2 marks, it's almost as accurate as freehanding the mountain folds.

If you're looking for clean pepping though, it's much more important to make sure they line up properly when gluing the tabs together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back