Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBrody

Hey all!

So after years of being an observer of Schankerz and his build I've decided to be an observer no more. A couple months ago I started my own cosplay build of a reach spartan. I plan to go commando with the helmet and left shoulder and recon with the right. Been super impressed with all the amazing resources from you talented folk.

To get a hang of using making props and armour with eva foam I started with the reach magnum. My proportions are a little off but I am pretty impressed with how my first attempt turned out.
20220220_224126.jpg20220220_224137.jpg20220226_215841.jpg
I look forward to wielding this next to some of you at a future con!

After getting my bearings working on the pistol I decided to start my journey with the upper body, more specifically the arms. I had a roll of some white eva foam from ages ago that I had got but hadn't used yet because I'm a huge procrastinator. But I finally cracked the roll open and got to work. I had a first attempt at the bicep that turned out really well but that turned out to be waaaaay too chunky so I started over. But I had used up my pretty small roll on the biceps and the magnum (and the commando shoulder, I'll post about that soon) so I picked up some black floor mats. Since I have pretty broad shoulders I had sized up the bicep on the first attempt. Turns out that was dumb and the original size of the pep file was literally perfect so it worked out pretty good! You can see the size difference in the photos, second attempt looks way better!
20220324_005340.jpg20220324_005250.jpg20220324_005241.jpg
Overall incredibly pleased with my results! Really starting to get a hang of working with foam!

Okay so I may have gotten a little side tracked while working on my armour. Been playing a lot of infinite tactical slayer recently and have been getting so many games with the sidekick pistol. I love the look of the sidekick so I decided I've give a shot of free-styling it. Well after a couple days staring at the gun in infinite, and many hours with dremel I have something I am super proud of. I'm still very new to this so my proportions aren't exactly the best but I'm still super stoked with my work.
Here's a couple photos of the pistol before I finished some details and took the heat gun to it:
20220324_004208.jpg20220324_004215.jpg
Then here is a photo from today when I took the heat gun to it:
20220326_235440.jpg
So overall should I have stopped my momentum and made another gun prop? Probably not. Was it fun? Absolutely!

I know I have been posting like basically everyday but I've been making a lot of progress and I've been really exited to show you folks. I'm working at a good pace to finish the arms soon. I originally wanted to have two commando shoulders but Schankerz turned me onto the fact that I am not a video game character and my armour won't clip into itself if I went to hold a rifle (I know crazy right?!?). I changed the plan to be one commando shoulder and one recon shoulder. That way I can have the cool big shoulder on my left and then have the smaller recon one on my right for when I go to hold a rifle.
20220304_213108.jpg20220304_213119.jpg20220328_002710.jpg20220328_002646.jpg
Overall I think they turned out pretty good!

I know I have been posting like basically everyday but I've been making a lot of progress and I've been really exited to show you folks. I'm working at a good pace to finish the arms soon. I originally wanted to have two commando shoulders but Schankerz turned me onto the fact that I am not a video game character and my armour won't clip into itself if I went to hold a rifle (I know crazy right?!?). I changed the plan to be one commando shoulder and one recon shoulder. That way I can have the cool big shoulder on my left and then have the smaller recon one on my right for when I go to hold a rifle.
View attachment 315745View attachment 315746View attachment 315747View attachment 315748
Overall I think they turned out pretty good!
Asymmetric design is so good on Reach. Also it helps give more options for cool colour patterns.

It's official I now have arms! A couple nights ago I finished assembling the forearms and now I am over the moon with my progress. I've still got some more shaping to do with the heat gun and then some filling in some bits that didn't quite line up. But overall super stoked with with the results.
20220330_231353.jpg20220330_231414.jpg
When I started the build I didn't really have a motivation to set a deadline to finish because of the lack of cons. But then Schankerz lit the fire under my butt to finish this thing by end of August for FanExpo in Toronto. So now I gotta get my butt in gear so we can cosplay together instead of me being the guy walking behind him. So here's to hoping I can get this thing done by then, and maybe even see some of you Toronto peoples there!

Fairly big update. The last week I have on and off been working on the chest piece and man was I nervous. I'm new to the foamsmithing business here so was not excited to to try the biggest piece of the suit. But holy crap It is turning out incredibly!
20220402_004145.jpg20220403_010352.jpg20220405_233949.jpg
I'm honestly SHOCKED that I got the sizing right first try. After having this turning out the way it is I am stoked to get to working on the bottom half! I can't wait to finish this and show it off at a convention. I'm hoping I can move up my deadline and see if I can finish this for Montreal Comic Con in July.

" I'm new to foamsmithing"
*Casually makes something better then I have in 5 years of exclusively foamsmithing*

This looks amazing mate! Keep up the great work!
Thanks man! I really appreciate it! I'm looking forward to showing the finished product off to everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back