1st timer MKVI Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bitjedi

Hey all. Really liking all the cool stuff on this site and everyone seems nice from the threads I've read. Not sure if I'm going to be doing full armor yet or not (although I probably won't be able to resist) I'm starting off with Master Chief's MKVI Helmet and of course I'll post a few pics. Like a total noob I started out with the HD version of the helmet and made it too big. After two days of that project I started over with a smaller build. I'm thinking I'm ready for resin now but I keep wondering about other things such as the vent tubes on the sides of the jaw. I have ideas for the inner padding, electronics etc just can't think of what to do about those vent tubes lol. Anyone have any advice where to look? Can't seem to find anything specific yet on here. Sorry if I'm rambling and of course if any pros out there have any advice for me I welcome it. Now to the images:

6122788908_cbd31eef72.jpg

6122789634_4fa02f21dc.jpg

6122788210_91c562dcaf.jpg

Very nice pepwork!

I would like to point out that some parts look a little mishapen in pic #2, but it could be the lighting as well. All together a great job!
I DO recommend that you glue in the support struts that came with it, though. They help keep the helmet straight when you start resining and whatnot and it would be a shame if it started looking a little droopy after your first coat.

Anyways, as for the vents, some people use vacuum hoses! You can go to a vacuum store, hadware, Goodwill, or which ever and buy a vacuum hose, cut out the parts you need, paint 'em black, and them glue 'em in!

That looks awesome! :D

I can recommend hoses or small water piping from Home Depot or wherever. They make the tubes pretty small, and they're not all that expensive. They're pretty flexible, as well.

I'll be starting where you are, I'm sure, with just the helmet. I have no clue what I'm doing with Pepakura, but it looks like fun!

I just did a scratch of the tube. I made it from cardboard although if you make a scratch of the tube it's pretty low def. If you want more detail but costs a bit of money then buy a small plastic tube/ pvc pipe lol but if you want a cheap but low def tube then do a scratch build of it with cardboard or pulpboard

Thanks for all the input, I'll certainly put the supports and the face plate in before I resin. I'll check into tubing as well. I'll post some more pics when I've made more progress.

i made the vent tube things on the face with Foam that I cut the grooves and plasti dipped. though i wish i heat shaped them a bit better to round them out.

I can see your using Ral Partha's unfold of Flying_squirls's model... I did the same helmet and the visor is a little different.
I've used the higher def pep visor for supports by just gluing it in from the front after gluin the side pieces in from the back and front.

Love the tube idea. And the helmet's really good for a first timer, though I come up short when it comes to pepping. Thank god for bondo. This kinda motivates me to finish my mkV suit so I can start the mkVI. Anywho, keep up the awesome work. Can't wait to see more!

I can see your using Ral Partha's unfold of Flying_squirls's model... I did the same helmet and the visor is a little different.
I've used the higher def pep visor for supports by just gluing it in from the front after gluin the side pieces in from the back and front.
Yeah it's Flying Squirl's model, looked like the best one to go with.

Love the tube idea. And the helmet's really good for a first timer, though I come up short when it comes to pepping. Thank god for bondo. This kinda motivates me to finish my mkV suit so I can start the mkVI. Anywho, keep up the awesome work. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks for the compliment. I noticed a few spots on it that are a little off but I'm thinking once I'm at the bondo phase I'll be able to shape it up.

Hey all, just a small update. I've added the supports in but now my question is do I need to put the visor piece in since the supports are there? Oh and here are some more pics. Cheers!

6131124653_36c5c42f29.jpg

6131123743_0f0bc172ba.jpg

6131122941_9e3043c989.jpg

6131672586_a68078c8f8.jpg

Its probably a good idea to add the visor for extra support because after the outside coat of resin you will be taking the supports out.

good job for a first time man! when i did my first it was very wonky and WWWAAAYYYYY too big. try making summore pieces of armor before starting a weapon if you're thinking of it. plus dont do what i did and basically cover EVERYTHING in bondo. just the round parts... i failed so hard my first time. good job man!

Just another small update. Resin on the outside is done. I only put one coat on the outside. I'm assuming I wouldn't need more. I haven't found anywhere yet that says people have added more than one layer(on the outside at least). I'll be picking up the fiberglass cloth and bondo tomorrow. I'm very interested in doing rondo on the inside after a few layers of cloth are laid down. I'm aiming for the same effect as in Longshot-X's thread Here. I'm just concerned if I do fiberglass cloth only on the inside I'll have little fibers poking me (granted final result will have padding inside) and it's looks like rondo smooths all that out. Of course I'm not sure how to make rondo and haven't been able to find much yet on mixing it. Do I just do a straight 1:1 Bondo+Resin and does it still require hardener in this state? Anyone with any advice or good thread links I may have missed?

Oh no, being the noob I am on the second batch I believe I didn't apply enough of the hardening agent and now I have spots that won't dry and it's been over 48 hours. Any ideas? I've heard I can try to make a "hot batch" and it should cure the still wet layer as well. I also heard I could try a heat gun. I guess my real question would be what is the best method?

Oh no, being the noob I am on the second batch I believe I didn't apply enough of the hardening agent and now I have spots that won't dry and it's been over 48 hours. Any ideas? I've heard I can try to make a "hot batch" and it should cure the still wet layer as well. I also heard I could try a heat gun. I guess my real question would be what is the best method?

Yes, you can mix up a hotter batch of resin and it should help to cure the first. However, before doing that, I would try to lightly go over the still wet spots with the heat gun.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Thanks for the quick response Spitfire. I've hit it with a hair dryer for the time being since my relative is borrowing my heat gun and it didn't seem to do much. Think I'll skip right to a light coat of a hotter batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back