2 Month Carter build (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, heres a small quick update before I finish my boots in the next few days.

I'm to the point where I'll be knocking things out quickly since I just have simple parts left (not going to try to tackle the helmet before halloween)
I really only have the Left upper-and-forearm, the left thigh and knee/shin, the waist (resining tonight) the hands and the front attachment bags.

so heres some shots of my torso 95% done. I just need to finish the spine plates and add the UNSC crest (and the bags, but I count that separate)

The knife I got as a sweet deal from Harbor Freight Tools. $8.99!!! and that saved me probably about 12 hours of pepping, resining, painting, and keeping the knife from falling out. all I had to do was spray paint the handle black (was brushed steel) and slightly modify the sheath since it came as a belt-loop style. as an added bonus, it has a hollow screw-top handle that I can hide matches in for when I go on survival outings in my armor! (kidding)

sure, the sheath is "soft", but if anyone complains to my face, well, I have a real sharp knife on hand now dont i?

awesome work man!!! Soo cool it's coming together so quickly! I like the crest on the shoulder, im adding my decals tomorrow so this thread makes me more stoked! :D cant wait to see more pics tomorrow or the next day!

BOOTS!!!! well, boot anyway.

segmented into 3 pieces for articulation and the shoe underneath is attached with silicone caulk for added flexibility that you need in a shoe.

walks almost as well as a regular shoe and makes only a slight clopping noise.

So there it is. painting the cod piece tonight and hopefully finishing the other boot within the week.

so I tried my whole finished leg on tonight.

looked stupid.

shin was too short and skinny.

ripped it to shreds with my bare hands.

tore my finger open doing so.

beginning work on new, larger shin.

hopefully wont waste 30 hours with this one.

and yes: i mad bro.

dude! youre working quick!!! kicking arse!! for the shin, i measured from the ball of the ankle to the hinge at the knee. read that in roadwarrior's wip :) stoked to see this going so fast man!!!

dude! youre working quick!!! kicking arse!! for the shin, i measured from the ball of the ankle to the hinge at the knee. read that in roadwarrior's wip :) stoked to see this going so fast man!!!

Thanks, I took some measurements on the completed shin that allowed me to scale properly. the problem with the model I pepped is that it comes with the knee guard, so I had to measure from the ball of my ankle to above my knee and make sure that the back of the shin wouldnt interfere with the back of my knee. I scaled it up about 20% though and printed (15 sheets even when I optimized the available space) and have been cutting since yesterday.

this one should look alot better, I'm just worried that the thigh will look too small now, but the thigh is much simple to do. I can pep a thigh in about 3 hours.

2 months? wow man i took 6 months haha
but so far is looking good
keep up

well, due to mistakes involving making the wrong model or improper sizing, its going to take more like 2.5 months. but yeah, its not going to have an insane amount of finish quality on it, like I'm not using bondo to smooth them.

Love the armor so far. Can't believe you're getting this done in such a short time frame. All I've managed to do so far on my build is pep a couple of pieces. I wanted to ask where you found the pep file for your boots? My current ones do not have a toe piece. Keep up the good work! I'm enjoying the updates

Love the armor so far. Can't believe you're getting this done in such a short time frame. All I've managed to do so far on my build is pep a couple of pieces. I wanted to ask where you found the pep file for your boots? My current ones do not have a toe piece. Keep up the good work! I'm enjoying the updates

thanks for the compliment. In return, I'm gonna show you something that no one showed me until I had been building for a whole month and had already pepped at least 1 of every piece. It's a well guarded secret for some reason, but I feel that after 1 post, you've long since earned it.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/iLZI7Rb-/halo_reach_files.html#dir=90792205

thats every file on the 405th, categorized. (its ok, you can cry. I know its beautiful) the boot model I used was "Reach_boot_and_toe_by_Acenat_and_Ruze"

ok, update while I'm taking a break from work for today. (BTW, you can click the thumbnails and it will take you to imageshack where you can see HUMONGOUS pics of the armor)

I found some great tac bags at a local army/navy surplus store that pass as front attachments. little modification and painted them black. if I ever want to look more legit, I'll just take them off and pep the actual bags, but these will do nicely for now.

I finished my new shin/knee. 20% larger than the original and it works very nicely. pepping the other one right now.

and finally, heres a full suit update pic.

I forgot to put in my left shoe, but its pepped and 75% ressined right now. finishing whenever I get off my lazy butt and resin the middle plate.

I don't know if I'll be done in time for HALOween, but I'll try. as I dont have anything to do really, my new goal is to be done by the middle of November when theres a comic-con at my university and Halo anniversary comes out. I might even be able to finish the helmet by then.

Quick update before halloween.

I'm trying to knock out my left shoulder, forearm, thigh and shin before monday. the shin and thigh are already resinned, so theyll each be about another hour of work to finish.

the shoulder is really easy so I think I can take it to finished in about 6 hours. the forearm is my only concern. its a little complex pep-wise, so if I get it done, it'll be close. I dont think I'll have back plates and hand plates done unless I pep them quickly and toss them all in as one to be resinned.

I finished my left boot yesterday, so thats a load off.

heres some pics of what I have so far tried on. I only excluded the left shoulder (didnt have an arm piece to mount it on) and the left boot since it would look silly if I didnt have a leg to go with it.

I happy how its turned out under this time crunch. I didnt expect a showcase work since this is my first suit, but I will say that its coming out better than I expected. I will be doing a S-344 Rosenda suit for my girlfriend over the following year and probably detailing and modifying my suit as well.

that should give me much better quality that I couldnt attain under the given time.

You're build is looking great so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how the final pic's turn out.

this build is friggin sweet for a 2 month project!! How is the mobility in it?? hope you get it done in time dude!!

this build is friggin sweet for a 2 month project!! How is the mobility in it?? hope you get it done in time dude!!

mobility is about 99% in the legs and feet, just cant extend my ankle perfectly straight( close though). the problem is in my arms. its difficult to get them higher than my shoulders if I hold them straight and its hard to reach across my chest.

on a side note, I wont be finishing the bulk by halloween. a few minutes ago I learned the hard way what a 3rd degree burn was as I was trying to glue foam into a shin piece. wouldnt be a problem so much if it wasnt across the top of my 4 fingers on my left hand, but I'd rather not bend them for a day or so.

ok, I finished both legs by halloween, so I wore it for my friends, but I still need to finish the left arm and helmet at some point.

I'm relaxing for a bit though because the last week of working on the armor stressed me out too much on top of 3rd degree burns on my hand and my one of my best friends dying.

The good news is that I have skin on my fingers again, so I might work slowly to finish up the last bits.

also, there is a plethora of games coming out over the next few months (Skyrim, Assassins Creed, Halo Anniversary, Mass effect 3, etc.) so I have a bad feeling this project will go on hold for quite a while. we'll see though.

thanks for the compliment. In return, I'm gonna show you something that no one showed me until I had been building for a whole month and had already pepped at least 1 of every piece. It's a well guarded secret for some reason, but I feel that after 1 post, you've long since earned it.

I just noticed that you replied a long time ago. I wish I had noticed before I spent the past few months digging around :/

Thank you for the help though :) I'll be using the secret page from now on. lol

I'll get around to posting my pictures of my progress sometime. All my photos are from my phone so I'm not certain they're worth uploading.

Keep up the good work bud!

also. No good about your hand man. Hope that's healed up by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back