Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Ladies and Gents, she is complete! I say complete, but I'm sure I will go back at some point to fix something or make some updgrade. For now, this bad boy is con-ready and looking/feeling awesome.

It's been an amazing journey making this suit. For now, I have finished the fight, but missions change; they always do. Thanks again for everybody's help and support!

FF674EA3-307F-4786-B6F8-9C9D56FEEA2D.jpeg
B20E3BB8-861A-4DF1-9C12-7231B3E7724E.jpeg
CAAA8E0D-6479-4D63-9A4B-391381FFBA8A.jpeg
5F618846-761A-4302-AAC1-5D08B2B45661.jpeg
9F0B8932-B92E-42AA-8CDB-94E475F1D28E.jpeg
699FE4E8-7AD3-4A70-874D-184631B52B2C.jpeg
368BE76D-72A2-4155-9E8B-69D7D99E5783.jpeg
111A891F-B66C-4EC8-91FA-15C924B6BD71.jpeg
61F81E45-3FC2-4A0A-906A-4A28BC3BF7A3.jpeg
BAD5B5D9-C254-4D04-9C51-37B476706F06.jpeg

Dude, very nice work!

I'm printing the same files as you are, and settled on the same armor clamshell and buckle setup, but figured I'd add some "locators" (basically blocks that can be epoxied in, one with a hole and one with a peg) to hopefully keep the chest armor sections from shifting. I haven't tried them yet (fiberglass for armor reinforcement arrives tomorrow), but I'm happy to share the (incredibly simple) design if you're interested.

I'm wondering how you made sure the arm and leg armor stays in place though. More buckles sewn to the undersuit?

Dude, very nice work!

I'm printing the same files as you are, and settled on the same armor clamshell and buckle setup, but figured I'd add some "locators" (basically blocks that can be epoxied in, one with a hole and one with a peg) to hopefully keep the chest armor sections from shifting. I haven't tried them yet (fiberglass for armor reinforcement arrives tomorrow), but I'm happy to share the (incredibly simple) design if you're interested.

I'm wondering how you made sure the arm and leg armor stays in place though. More buckles sewn to the undersuit?
Thank you! The biceps are buckled to the back piece, and the gauntlets are buckled to the bicepts. I also padded the insides of both to keep them secured and snug.

The cod piece is actually attached to the butt piece over my shoulders with homemade suspenders I made from the same strapping and buckles. The thighs are buckles to the cod piece, and the shins are buckled to the thighs in two separate places to keep them from rotating too much.

By having all the weight on my shoulders instead of my waist, the entire bottom section is kept from falling down. I didn't sew anything to the undersuit.

Thank you! The biceps are buckled to the back piece, and the gauntlets are buckled to the bicepts. I also padded the insides of both to keep them secured and snug.

The cod piece is actually attached to the butt piece over my shoulders with homemade suspenders I made from the same strapping and buckles. The thighs are buckles to the cod piece, and the shins are buckled to the thighs in two separate places to keep them from rotating too much.

By having all the weight on my shoulders instead of my waist, the entire bottom section is kept from falling down. I didn't sew anything to the undersuit.

Clever, thanks for explaining! Now that you've mentioned them I did spot some buckles in pictures, but when I wasn't looking for them I really didn't see them.

Did you use a different material for the butt piece by the way? I'm thinking about either using TPU or something semi-flexible so I can sit down in my armor.

Clever, thanks for explaining! Now that you've mentioned them I did spot some buckles in pictures, but when I wasn't looking for them I really didn't see them.

Did you use a different material for the butt piece by the way? I'm thinking about either using TPU or something semi-flexible so I can sit down in my armor.
Now that's the kicker! The butt piece is also PLA, so sitting down will be interesting. I haven't tested this yet, but I'm hoping I can unbuckle all or part of the butt piece so I can sit down. If not, then I guess I'll figure something else out! Using TPU doesn't sound like a bad idea; my only worry would be it bending too muchand looking weird, but how many people are gonna be looking at the butt, right?

but how many people are gonna be looking at the butt, right?

I mean, Halo Reach cutscenes were a thing lol!

Good point about the bending though, that's my main worry making it out of TPU or perhaps even foam; paint cracking and peeling off would be suboptimal. My other option is to go full-blast and just print it out of nylon or something and then reinforce the hell out of it...

Also take care with the PLA, I've printed some Skyrim cosplay accessories out of it as well and they're fine, but the softening point is definitely achieveable in a hot car, particularly with darker colours.

I mean, Halo Reach cutscenes were a thing lol!

Good point about the bending though, that's my main worry making it out of TPU or perhaps even foam; paint cracking and peeling off would be suboptimal. My other option is to go full-blast and just print it out of nylon or something and then reinforce the hell out of it...

Also take care with the PLA, I've printed some Skyrim cosplay accessories out of it as well and they're fine, but the softening point is definitely achieveable in a hot car, particularly with darker colours.
True about the Reach cutscenes, lol! And you're absolutely right with the PLA. It's staying in climate control as much as I can possibly assure.

Good luck on the butt piece! I'll let you know how the sitting test with mine goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back