3D Printed MK VI Master Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGPenland

I’ve started building my dream costume.
I started attempting to build it 10 years ago with pep,
but now I am goin to 3D print it. I have 6 printers, and most of the armor parts will be able to be printed in single parts (except for chest and cod)
Helmet is being printed right now.
Printing Moesizzlacs armor file

Last edited:
I’ve started building my dream costume.
I started attempting to build it 10 years ago with pep,
but now I am goin to 3D print it. I have 6 printers, and most of the armor parts will be able to be printed in single parts (except for chest and cod)
Helmet is being printed right now.
6 printers!?!? You could get this done in no time! I wish I had one!

Not sure how the whole 3d thing works. But it looks like the fit of your armor is perfect to your torso, which is actually going to cause problems. I'd suggest making it 1" too big, at least, to allow for foam padding and wires and goodies. Otherwise it can rest awkwardly and begin to cause pain at pressure points

EDIT:

VERITAS, AEQUITAS?

I agree 6 printers is a whole new level. I'd like get one, one day. Been dabbling into getting bits printed that aren't practical to pep or just to save time. I'm keen to see this finished

I agree 6 printers is a whole new level. I'd like get one, one day. Been dabbling into getting bits printed that aren't practical to pep or just to save time. I'm keen to see this finished
That is a bit much and rather costly. I'd rather get a larger printer build area and have the printer not be limited by the build area...possibly could have it print multiple peices on the same printer depending on their sizes. I'm currently looking at getting a creality cr10s4 but I'm not sure what the opinion of this community is on that specific printer. If anyone has an opinion or preference for their 3d printer, feel free to share it and why. Thanks

AED2E43D-23B6-4C85-950B-2446F609C5CA.jpeg
BD6F9355-DA51-4926-A416-636723B6FDF3.jpeg
I increased the scale of the torso as suggested.
I’m currently printing the helmet. Arms are also done

I want all that in my house. lmao. But the prints look smooth to start. What filament or settings are you using to make it that clean looking?

View attachment 265803
It’s a cr-10 s4, 400mm print area, 4 of my other printers have a print area of 10x9x8”, and my 6th is a delta style printer for printing my really big stuff, prints 280mm(cylinder)x600mm
Jesus, I'd have to have a storage shed/house addition just to fit those mechanical beasts....much less find the money to buy them all. I'm going to be getting the s4 or s5 in the next few months to begin mine but its gonna take me a lot longer to build. Not sure if building it with 3d printers is cheaper or more durable than eva foam but I'll have to experiment a little. What plastic are you using in your prints? I've seen people use pla but with open face printers like that, I've run into some warping and base separation issues

I want all that in my house. lmao. But the prints look smooth to start. What filament or settings are you using to make it that clean looking?
I’m using PLA at .2mm layer height at 210c

Jesus, I'd have to have a storage shed/house addition just to fit those mechanical beasts....much less find the money to buy them all. I'm going to be getting the s4 or s5 in the next few months to begin mine but its gonna take me a lot longer to build. Not sure if building it with 3d printers is cheaper or more durable than eva foam but I'll have to experiment a little. What plastic are you using in your prints? I've seen people use pla but with open face printers like that, I've run into some warping and base separation issues
It’s not cheaper, it is more durable, but not as comfortable as eva builds. I just like the look of 3D printed armor over Eva. I have an Eva ODST.
I use PLA for most of my prints.

I think id sacrifice the comfortability of the armor a little for a more automated production cause I dont trust my handiwork. Maybe with enough padding and design modifications, I wont have to sacrifice anything but I'm extremely new to this even though I've been a very large halo fan for years, just never had the opportunity to do any of this. Thinking about either making my own fred 104 suit (he most aligns to my personality) or getting one commissioned since I dont have the resources or experience right now

I think id sacrifice the comfortability of the armor a little for a more automated production cause I dont trust my handiwork. Maybe with enough padding and design modifications, I wont have to sacrifice anything but I'm extremely new to this even though I've been a very large halo fan for years, just never had the opportunity to do any of this. Thinking about either making my own fred 104 suit (he most aligns to my personality) or getting one commissioned since I dont have the resources or experience right now
The printing process is slower overall but having the ability to set a part going and forget about it for a day is nice. One major consideration you need to take is that there is many times more pepakura and foam files than there is 3D files readily available so if you want a more obscure armour piece you're going to have to "get good" at 3D design.

I'm currently past the halfway point of a fully printed suit and I'm uncertain if the pros outweigh the cons on a fully printed suit over a hybrid of materials.

The printing process is slower overall but having the ability to set a part going and forget about it for a day is nice. One major consideration you need to take is that there is many times more pepakura and foam files than there is 3D files readily available so if you want a more obscure armour piece you're going to have to "get good" at 3D design.

I'm currently past the halfway point of a fully printed suit and I'm uncertain if the pros outweigh the cons on a fully printed suit over a hybrid of materials.
That's a valid point. I like how the 3d print looks compared to foam and have decent cad file and other 3d manipulation skills but I do agree with you. I've just never messed with the foam before and dont want to end up constantly redoing stuff and spending thousands to create my ideal suit. Money is a limited resource and I feel like I'd screw up a lot

That's a valid point. I like how the 3d print looks compared to foam and have decent cad file and other 3d manipulation skills but I do agree with you. I've just never messed with the foam before and dont want to end up constantly redoing stuff and spending thousands to create my ideal suit. Money is a limited resource and I feel like I'd screw up a lot
Overall I'd argue that a 3D printed suit costs more in the long run. All said and done Spartan Daisy-023 base materials of PLA+ total ~$200CAD and Spartan-068 are about ~$80CAD in foam and $40CAD in PLA+. The major cost sunk into a suit is time ultimately, cosplay materials aren't super expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back